Pre-cruise-5/22/12

D-ma

I decided to arrive in Tahiti a day before the cruise because it was the only time that I could fit in an OWB. It has been on my bucket list most of my life. I booked one at the IC Tahiti. I arrived at LAX at 1:30pm to catch my 4:30pm flight on ATN. I booked my air through PG so I received economy seats. Thanks to so many on this board I knew that I could ask to upgrade to business class for less money than if I bought the tickets out right. I was lucky they had 2 seats available for an additional $1000 each.

One perk that you get with business class ATN seats at Lax that I have never heard about is the private lounge. It is first class with cocktails,snacks,sushi,tv and no crowds. A very pleasant place to wait 3 hours.

WOW is the only word that I can use to describe those seats. They were as big as a Lazy Boy recliner and they reclined 150 degrees. The tv popped up from the arm. There was a gift on each seat. It was in a hard case with travel necessities. We were served a 5 course meal and we had 2 choices for each course. We were given wine and cocktails. On our return flight to the United States, they did not have any upgrades so we flew in economy and I can tell you that everything from the food served to the flight experience was like comparing heaven to hell. It is definitely worth the upgrade.

The flight was smooth as silk without any turbulence and the landing was flawless.

Upon arrival, we had to walk down stairs to get off the plane. After a short walk we entered the airport and were greeted by Polynesian dancers and singers. This was very lovely and it is a very stark contrast to what you will experience when you leave Tahiti to fly home(more on this later). The progression through the airport customs and security went quickly.

Since I booked the room on my own, I had to hail a cab which was very easy. It cost me $20 US and it took less than 10 minutes to get to my hotel.

I should have known that things were going too smoothly. This is where the drama begins. Upon arrival at the hotel, I was told that they sold my OWB out from under me and that there were no more left, and no manager on duty(long story short).I told them that I better speak to a manger tomorrow and someone better make this right for me. At first they only wanted to not charge me for my room but I insisted that they book me at the IC Bora Bora for the same price that I paid for the IC Tahiti. They booked me on the day the ship overnited in Bora Bora. The bungalows in Bora Bora are far superior to those in Tahiti so it turned out for the best. I also got to go to Bloody Mary's which is a must do. Although it worked out for the best, this mishap ruined my first day in Tahiti. I did not know if I would get another bungalow at this point and I had to wait until the next morning to get my answers. What really confuses me is that I received an e-mail confirmation 2 day before that everything was as confirmed for the room. I think in the future that I will call and reconfirm.

It really was a shame to start off on the wrong foot at the IC Tahiti because it is a beautiful property. They have 2 gorgeous infinity pools. One pool has a swim up bar and sand and another has multi levels and a waterfall. They have 2 restaurants. The food is very good but expensive. The view of Moorea is spectacular. Another feature is a Lagoon-aquarium. It is a lagoon next to the large pool with more colorful fish in it than I have seen in my life. You do not need to snorkel to see the fish because the water is clear to the bottom. You can get free snorkels on site and snorkel in it. They have Polynesian dinner shows on various nights. They also have water sports (kayaks, jet ski's, etc.)

Next: 5/23/12 Embarkation

Hi Donna,

What is a trip without some adversity - in time you are more likely to remember your adventure rather than everything that went smoothly. I always suggest the Panoramic room rather than the OWB at Tahiti but I totally understand its a life's dream. DD also has that dream but I have told her she needs to fulfil that one on her own.

So the upgrades are now up to $ 1000 - the first time I paid 400 for them!

Archived