5/24/12-Huahine

D-ma

We were late getting to Huahine due to weather and we changed where we docked From Fare to Maroe Bay. This was a beautiful entrance into port right down the middle of the island. It was sensory overload. There are only 2000 residents on this island so it often felt like you had the island to yourself.

There were not many excursions to chose from at this port. The travel desk recommended the Safari Expedition since it was important for me to see the blue eyed eels. It was a great tour. I feel like we saw all the important sites. Our guide was very informative and even allowed me to climb down to the river and pet the blue eyed eels. They are amazing. We also visited a pearl farm by outrigger canoe, stopped at a vanilla farm, stopped at archaeological sites, saw ancient fish traps, circled the island, stopped at the beach and stopped at the Belvedere for panoramic views. I highly recommend this tour.It was a bargain for $89 and 3.5 hours.

We did the tour from the ship by an anthropologist in Huahine. I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the tour -- something about ancient cultures. We did all of the things that Safari Expeditions did plus had a thorough explanation of life in ancient Polynesia. I'm so glad we did this tour early because it gave us a wonderful overview of Polynesian life then and now. There were about 20 of us, so it wasn't as intimate as a a private tour would be. We were on a funky old Le Truck. It rained, so be prepared, but that didn't stop us from having a great time. I can't remember how much the tour cost, but I like supporting a local archeologist, who has a world view of life. He would just comment on how things were for the Polynesians and didn't comment on whether their social system was politically correct or not according to his/our beliefs.

Even though I purchased vanilla two places (total of 20 beans) I wish I'd purchased more. Vanilla here is less expensive than Motu Mahana, but the beans are not quite as good quality. $11 for 8 beans versus $31 for 11 at Motu Mahana. Customs lets you bring in a "reasonable" about for gifts and your own use. I checked with the USDA before we left.

We took the bridge tour in the afternoon, which was very interesting. Ask at the main desk for times and dates early in the cruise as the tour fills up quickly. Missed the galley tour because of another commitment, but I suggest signing up for it early, too, if you're interested.

Thanks mllcal. I always forget stuff like the bridge and galley tours as they are old hat for us. Actually I havent done the galley tour on the PG and may do it next time. Went on the Galley tour on Allure of the seas and that was interesting especially as they seem to have a galley for each type of food.

Moorea is also a good place to purchase vanilla. I bought some that was extremely expensive the last time but had won some award.

Thats true Tiki you can get the cheaper varieties as well. But For those who are into cooking Tahaa vanilla ranks very high ( that is the kind they sell on MM). The one I bought was something like $40 for 8 beans but it is amazing.

We have bought a bunch of vanilla over the years, Tahiti, Moorea & Tahaa, no big difference IMHO. Have you tried the vanilla from the Noni store in the picture? They grow it themselves.

I've bought vanilla 3 times right from the farms on Tahaa, not at the motu, from the actual farm, no big difference.

When you buy a kilo I would say there were over 200 pods/beans

It'a all good

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that if someone else notices a difference in the quality of a food item that I cannot detect (in this case, vanilla), they probably have a more refined palate for that particular item than I do. I don't just assume they're full of hot air.

Oh, come on tiki. Just a joke. With all of your trips to FP, you can be of great help to newcomers. Don't go away mad..........I am impressed by the number of trips you have managed to take to my favorite part of the world. I enjoy this Board becaused it reminds me of our favorite cruises.

Oh, to be at Manderly (whaaat?) I mean Moorea again............

;)

Emdee, have you had any problems bringing vanilla beans back into Canada. I wanted to last time when we were there but the ones at the Motu that I saw were just in baggies and I didn't think customs would allow them in. I appreciate any tips as I love baking and the taste of wonderful vanilla.

I didnt think to ask and brought it anyway. However, you may want to give canada customs a call. When we were coming back from Italy last year I called and listed everything I was going to bring home- olive oil from my friend's home, dried tomatoes, dried peppers, dried herbs, parmesan, truffled pecorino and even fresh white truffles and they went over each one and said no problem. For the truffle she asked me to hold on and checked and came back and said yes I could as long as it was not for sale or commerce. So I happily brought home a couple of white truffles. I now have a treasure trove of Italian condiments in my freezer!!

I didnt think to ask and brought it anyway. However, you may want to give canada customs a call. When we were coming back from Italy last year I called and listed everything I was going to bring home- olive oil from my friend's home, dried tomatoes, dried peppers, dried herbs, parmesan, truffled pecorino and even fresh white truffles and they went over each one and said no problem. For the truffle she asked me to hold on and checked and came back and said yes I could as long as it was not for sale or commerce. So I happily brought home a couple of white truffles. I now have a treasure trove of Italian condiments in my freezer!!

Oooh yum. Those food items sound wonderful. I always end up shying away from bringing things back if they aren't commercially packaged. I'll definitely give them a call. Last year when I was flying into the US I had an apple with me to snack on before the flight....wow, the trouble that apple caused me.

Thanks Emdee

Coldweather girl - fresh fruits are usually a no-no.

You have also to be careful when you are carrying food to and from the US and using Nexus. The Canadian form is more specific to types of food but the US just states food.

Last month I returned from the Caribbean with Chutneys carefully packaged - they warranted a TSA inspection but they kindly rewrapped each bottle in bubble wrap and then replaced them in the bubble wrap bag along with the TSA slip!

Archived