Jacket necessary on Infinity formal nite?

SanMarco98

Would my husband feel uncomfortable wearing a dress shirt, tie, and dark slacks on formal nite? Don't want to waste space on jacket when we know we need a range of clothes to suit the weather. Over the years we've learned less is more! Only 2 more weeks to go- can't wait.

there have been many reports of men approaching the MDR without a jacket and being loaned one by the staff, which might make your husband feel quite embarrassed and/or uncomfortable so this is another vote for brining his own. Or renting a tux on board, which would require even less packing.

Remember the Phil Collins Album "No Jacket Required" from 1985? Well this isn't it. Celebrity tries to cling on to this last tradition of dressing up for formal nights. They used to have Formal, Semi-Formal and Casual nights. Now it's just 2 Formal Nights and 5 Casual nights for a 7 day cruise. It's worth it to dress up though. The food is the best on those nights, as is the service.

Would my husband feel uncomfortable wearing a dress shirt, tie, and dark slacks on formal nite? Don't want to waste space on jacket when we know we need a range of clothes to suit the weather. Over the years we've learned less is more! Only 2 more weeks to go- can't wait.

:cool:See the current thread regarding dress codes for an answer. Since this is your second post, you probably don't know. Wear a suit on Hubby. It does not take up that much more space to add the equivalent of a jacket:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

Remember the Phil Collins Album "No Jacket Required" from 1985? Well this isn't it. Celebrity tries to cling on to this last tradition of dressing up for formal nights. They used to have Formal, Semi-Formal and Casual nights. Now it's just 2 Formal Nights and 5 Casual nights for a 7 day cruise. It's worth it to dress up though. The food is the best on those nights, as is the service.

Hmmm, it might just be me, but I never noticed a noticeable difference in food quality or menu selections or service on formal nights. To us, every evening was pretty much equally wonderful.

As others have said, a jacket is required on formal nights in the MDR and they seem lately to be enforcing this requirement. As an alternative, if you intend on doing any Specialty restaurants you might want to schedule them on the formal nights. The specialty restaurants are 'smart casual" every night regardless of the dress code in the MDR.

How about dh wearing or carrying a sportcoat/suit jacket on the plane if it doesn't fit in his bag? Can be stored while in flight.

Or... book a specialty restaurant or use the buffet?

You might see a handful of men without jackets in the MDR depending on the ship and mood of the maitre d welcoming the diners. (some stop men without jackets and offer a loaner) But so few don't wear jackets that they DO stand out.

They used to have Formal, Semi-Formal and Casual nights. Now it's just 2 Formal Nights and 5 Casual nights for a 7 day cruise.

No it is formal and smart casual.

Casual has been dropped.

In the main dining room, a tux or suit is required.

Although that is the dress code, it is very obvious that men are allowed in with sport coats. In some cases and this is one, there are the rules and then there are exceptions.

I'm sorry to differ with everyone...

We just came of the May 25th Infinity Inside Passage sailing, and although I wore a Tux and my wife a gown on formal nights, there were no jackets offered for men with out one and there WERE men and women in casual wear in the MDR.

There was a couple sitting next to us that looked like they just got off the salmon tour.

That being said about 80-90 % did comply.

I was on the same sailing that Fla.Mike and I saw one night at the 2nd. seating that they were handling jackets to the people without one. If they declined, that was the end of it. I honestlly think that Celebrity doesn't want to make a big thing out of this, since not everyone wants to dress up to formal. Keeping it this way they appeal to older crowds that want to dress up and to younger ones that are more casual. This will be a matter of time, soon it will be smart casual.

There are very few people on Celebrity that don't follow the dress code and all this nonsense about seeing a few here and there is just that. They look out of place, but if that's what they want to do it's up to them. Anyone who needs the definition of formal is probably not interested in complying anyway...they just want someone to tell them it's OK. It's usually people who don't even sail on Celebrity that encourage others to disregard the dress code.

I can assure you the people at Celebrity want and encourage everyone to dress properly but they're not going to wrestle people to the ground at the door.

DH had lost a lot of weight before our cruise and his tux and suits did not fit. He had a dark sport coat and a very similar colored pair of dockers which he wore with a sharp shirt and tie. He fit in fine. He would have like to wear his formal clothes but there wasn't time to get them fitted. I didn't notice anyone dressed any less than jacket and tie in Select Dining on our cruise. There were several other men with sport coats and shirts with ties and they did not stand out.

we had a guy at our table once who was seated and looking at the menu when our waiter came along with a jacket for him and insisted on helping him put it on. He did not return on the second formal night.

DH had lost a lot of weight before our cruise and his tux and suits did not fit. He had a dark sport coat and a very similar colored pair of dockers which he wore with a sharp shirt and tie. He fit in fine. He would have like to wear his formal clothes but there wasn't time to get them fitted. I didn't notice anyone dressed any less than jacket and tie in Select Dining on our cruise. There were several other men with sport coats and shirts with ties and they did not stand out.

Same on our last cruise. Very few tuxes, some suits, but I would say half the men were wearing jackets.

One of the men at our table intentionally did not bring a suit or jacket. Frankly his wife was in a wheelchair & I think he had all he could do to help her with dressing and eating & I surely wouldn't have thought one thing about the jacket or suggested he go elsewhere because of that. Just glad they got to enjoy the cruise and the wonderful evening together. Life is too short for trivial.

Another man next to us didn't bring a jacket and they gave him one as he entered. It remained on the back of his chair.

Life is too short for trivial.

But for some apparently life is not too short that that they can't resist trivializing it down to the lowest level by ignoring the recommended and easy to follow dress code. After all, it's all about them, isn't it?

we had a guy at our table once who was seated and looking at the menu when our waiter came along with a jacket for him and insisted on helping him put it on. He did not return on the second formal night.

This has also never happened to me, nor have I seen it.

My grandson will be coming on the infinity to Alaska and we are purchasing him a suit and tie just for the occasion! Of course, this is his first cruise (he's 5) and his mom cannot wait to get a picture of him and herself all dressed up. It will be fun and he'll be all ready for his next cruise in December :) Hopeful no growth spurts happen...at least not enough to change the size too much!! I'm glad that we have the formal nights still, soon enough they will be gone and it just won't seem the same. I enjoy "people watching" on those nights!

We just got back from the Infinity and you must have a jacket for men on formal night. If you don't have one they will give him a Jan let to use. This one man that they turned away had jeans and sneakers and they have him a jacket. Just have him bring a sports jacket that will suffice. I saw some men take their jackets off right after they passed the hostess.

Archived