Jacket necessary on Infinity formal nite?

SanMarco98

We do not do jackets on formal night but do wear ties and have not felt uncomfortabOne le or out of place.

:cool:While suits and/or tuxare requested, I'm glad that you are proud to settle for the bottom rung. One step at a time downward and Celebrity will end up like RCCL, heading toward Carnival status. I don't get dressed and I get away with it. This is how it starts. Shorts and t-shirts are next there Michagan. :cool:

:cool:While suits and/or tuxare requested, I'm glad that you are proud to settle for the bottom rung. One step at a time downward and Celebrity will end up like RCCL, heading toward Carnival status. I don't get dressed and I get away with it. This is how it starts. Shorts and t-shirts are next there Michagan. :cool:

Why the attack? He was answering the OP's question. You must now feel proud.

Go BLUE!

Requested is the word you used and suggested is the words you used.

If you sail celebrity, and have your attitude, I think that what people wear is not going to be what drops Celebrity to Carnival level.

I believe I answered the OP from my experience.

Happy sailing!

BTW, since you have not been on Celebrity how do you know it is not RCCL and/or Carnival? Someone was asking for experience in the dining room on a Celebrity ship, which according to your signature file you do not have... Therefore one would think that you should not offer comments to something that you do not have experience.

Sorry OP for my rant, but it irritates the hell out of me when people make comments like this post!

Would my husband feel uncomfortable wearing a dress shirt, tie, and dark slacks on formal nite? Don't want to waste space on jacket when we know we need a range of clothes to suit the weather. Over the years we've learned less is more! Only 2 more weeks to go- can't wait.
Jackets are not required for specialty restaurants on formal nights. Even with that, most men do wear them. If you are in aquaclass, he can dine in Blu or a specialty restaurant or the buffet with a dress slacks and a nice shirt.

If you want to eat in the main dining room on formal night, he would risk being given a used jacket at the door by the maître d'; or turned away!

The jacket doesn't have to be an expensive one. You could order a very inexpensive light weight black one online just for cruises.

Why the attack? He was answering the OP's question. You must now feel proud.

:cool:Sorry Michigan. I'm used to RCCL boards where folks wear their shorts to MDR and express their views that RCCL lets them violate their posted "rules". Since 1993 when I took my first cruise hve seen standards of dress and conduct go down on RCCL, one cruise at a time. Goes along with the times I guess. When people on these boards tell new cruisers that it is ok not to dress to guidelines, it gets me excited. Sorry for jumping you, but by not wearing a suit, technically you are one who helps lower standards and violated a time honored traditin of sailing. If they lower their standards, that is another story. Until then, I will wear a tux or suit, and would think that everyone else should. That is why I am changing over to X. Hopefully I won't have to go to Seabourn:cool:

Would my husband feel uncomfortable wearing a dress shirt, tie, and dark slacks on formal nite? Don't want to waste space on jacket when we know we need a range of clothes to suit the weather. Over the years we've learned less is more! Only 2 more weeks to go- can't wait.

best for your husband to wear a white shirt, tie and jacket on formal night the ship can clean and press all so only one formal outfit is necessary I see men wearing Tommy Bahama shirts on formal night but they seem uncomfortable Best to leave home something else and pack one formal outfit. Why feel underdressed?

BTW, since you have not been on Celebrity how do you know it is not RCCL and/or Carnival? Someone was asking for experience in the dining room on a Celebrity ship, which according to your signature file you do not have... Therefore one would think that you should not offer comments to something that you do not have experience.

Sorry OP for my rant, but it irritates the hell out of me when people make comments like this post!

What's even more irritating is when someone with experience, who knows better, gives bad information anyway.;)

There are very few people on Celebrity that don't follow the dress code and all this nonsense about seeing a few here and there is just that. They look out of place, but if that's what they want to do it's up to them. Anyone who needs the definition of formal is probably not interested in complying anyway...they just want someone to tell them it's OK. It's usually people who don't even sail on Celebrity that encourage others to disregard the dress code.

I can assure you the people at Celebrity want and encourage everyone to dress properly but they're not going to wrestle people to the ground at the door.

Totally agree - I'd NEVER consider NOT taking tux for a formal.

Here's a photo of 3 formals nights on a trip last November.

To us its one of the most important and enjoyable parts about cruising.

Why would you even contemplate NOT taking a jacket? Saying that, there's always the OceanView.

"Less is more" - More what?

Concerned about space, especially on the 2 week cruises? We always use the laundry service, and make use of the Elite tokens you're given onboard.

Just send it off and get it cleaned meaning you can pack less - and then get that jacket in... :cool:

321919_10150375467588325_969885470_o.jpg

430404_10150600403733325_795922391_n.jpg

What about a TEEN boy, we do not have a jacket for him, what's appropriate on formal night?

Can he do dress shirt and tie?

On the Century in May, the dining room was providing loaner jackets to all men and TEEN boys without jackets entering the dining room on formal night.

I am always a bit amazed at the double standard of formal dress. Men are supposed to sweat it out in a shirt, tie, and jacket; while women are expected to wear practically nothing. It's stupid fashion IMO.

Please do not allow logic and common sense to get in the way of fashion rules and tradition.:rolleyes:

I am always a bit amazed at the double standard of formal dress. Men are supposed to sweat it out in a shirt, tie, and jacket; while women are expected to wear practically nothing. It's stupid fashion IMO.

I agree. Once, a long while ago, it was fashionable for all women to wear corsets. That made women a cheap date as they could not eat very much;). They are gone now, just as the dinner coats are slowly heading out the door. Some guys wear suits Monday to Friday and don'y wear them on weekends to unwind. Some guys on Sunday mornings only. I personally don't care if the guy at the next table is sitting in his underware. I want to look at the food on my plate, not what everyone else is wearing. Everyone should enjoy their cruise how they choose within reason. Times are changing. We are not in the 70's anymore. Oh ya! I will be bringing a jacket. My choice.

:cool: If they lower their standards, that is another story. Until then, I will wear a tux or suit, and would think that everyone else should. That is why I am changing over to X. Hopefully I won't have to go to Seabourn:cool:

Seabourn dropped all formal nights on normal length cruises.

I personally don't care if the guy at the next table is sitting in his underware.

You and I have VERY different standards, indeed! No way would I want to eat a fine dinner with some man's hairy chest and armpits, sagging and blotched skin, and "tighty whitie" briefs all within view!!!! I'm gagging just picturing what that would look like! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Everyone should enjoy their cruise how they choose within reason.

Yep, and when you chose a cruise line with a dress code for formal nights, you have made your choice to abide by the code that line has in place. It isn't a free for all where you can pick and chose which guidelines you will adhere to based on you want to do.

Again, you and I have very different standards. I follow the guidelines I have agreed to without complaint. Otherwise, why in the world would I purchase a product I do not agree with????

I suggest you find a cruise line with a level of standards that you approve of and spend your money there instead of blustering your way onto a ship and then disapproving of the way they operate and insisting on doing whatever you feel like doing.

Yes, seaborn has very few formal nights but they don't have to worry as much about people showing up to dinner looking like they were going to Burger King. If you don't like to follow the rules or wear a jacket, there are many lines that do not require a jacket at dinner. People will always disrespectfully push the limits of common sense and taste

You and I have VERY different standards, indeed! No way would I want to eat a fine dinner with some man's hairy chest and armpits, sagging and blotched skin, and "tighty whitie" briefs all within view!!!! I'm gagging just picturing what that would look like! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ok, your visual is CRACKING the <bleep> out of me!!!!!!!!! :D:D

What about a TEEN boy, we do not have a jacket for him, what's appropriate on formal night?

Can he do dress shirt and tie?

If your teen son has no jacket, he will be okay with dress pants and the dress shirt and tie. Some teens wear a dark v neck sweater or a vest with the shirt and tie. Seems to dress it up a bit more.

I agree. Once, a long while ago, it was fashionable for all women to wear corsets. That made women a cheap date as they could not eat very much;). They are gone now, just as the dinner coats are slowly heading out the door. Some guys wear suits Monday to Friday and don'y wear them on weekends to unwind. Some guys on Sunday mornings only.

In those places where men wear suits Monday to Friday, women are expected to dress in similar fashion. It's considered very improper for a woman to not be covered up at work. It's only for formal wear that there is this discrepancy where men are tied up to their necks and woman can have bare shoulders.

Hello,

I agree with those who suggest that people dress formal night. I think it is appropriate. We all spend so much money for the cruise, why not dress for the special nights. It is truly a celebration to enjoy a cruise- treat it as special occasion. Of course, to each his own- but nice to share in the celebration of formal night.

Archived