Jacket necessary on Infinity formal nite?

SanMarco98

• 4 weeks later...
Totally agree - I'd NEVER consider NOT taking tux for a formal.

Here's a photo of 3 formals nights on a trip last November.

To us its one of the most important and enjoyable parts about cruising.

Why would you even contemplate NOT taking a jacket? Saying that, there's always the OceanView.

"Less is more" - More what?

Concerned about space, especially on the 2 week cruises? We always use the laundry service, and make use of the Elite tokens you're given onboard.

Just send it off and get it cleaned meaning you can pack less - and then get that jacket in... :cool:

321919_10150375467588325_969885470_o.jpg

430404_10150600403733325_795922391_n.jpg

Oh you match, how cute.

We were on the Infinity in May. Did not bring a jacket and did not miss not having one. Ate at Blu, Bistro Five, Lido, and SS US. Just fine.

Do not go on cruises to impress anyone but to relax and enjoy.

Perfect. You followed the Dress Code to a 'T' by dining elsewhere. Classy.

As to not going on cruises to impress anyone so you don't dress up for Formal nights...neither do I and I take a Tux. Not to impress, but because I enjoy dining at the MDR on formal nights and being part of it, and ......by the way, I fibbed....I wear it to impress my wife! And I feel quite relaxed in mine (it fits better than a suit, and feels just fine, as do many casual outfits), and I enjoy it.

It's good both of us can enjoy and relax on the same cruise isn't it!

Den

There are very few people on Celebrity that don't follow the dress code and all this nonsense about seeing a few here and there is just that. They look out of place, but if that's what they want to do it's up to them. Anyone who needs the definition of formal is probably not interested in complying anyway...they just want someone to tell them it's OK. It's usually people who don't even sail on Celebrity that encourage others to disregard the dress code.

I can assure you the people at Celebrity want and encourage everyone to dress properly but they're not going to wrestle people to the ground at the door.

I love your opinion

It astounds me how many people dont get it or want to get it.. Many, it seems like are in search of some special waiver where they can be exempt from convention. Whether a teen boy or his grandfather... formal means suit at the least and black tie for the basic. Most gentelmen i have observed in the past 40 years wear a jacket to dinner or after 6pm as a sign of manners and respect for the venue.

My mom gave me a book a long time ago...manners can be fun! I took it to heart.

I love your opinion

It astounds me how many people dont get it or want to get it.. Many, it seems like are in search of some special waiver where they can be exempt from convention. Whether a teen boy or his grandfather... formal means suit at the least and black tie for the basic. Most gentelmen i have observed in the past 40 years wear a jacket to dinner or after 6pm as a sign of manners and respect for the venue.

Believe it or not, some of us ARE indeed 'Unconventional'. It's a cruiseship dictate, not a law for heaven's sake! But don't worry, we'll be dining elsewhere on the ship.

I love your opinion

Formal dining is only required in the MDR, not anywhere else on the ship after 6 p.m. I don't believe that not wearing a jacket after 6 when dining in another venue is bad manners.

Formal dining is only required in the MDR, not anywhere else on the ship after 6 p.m. I don't believe that not wearing a jacket after 6 when dining in another venue is bad manners.

I do not understand the big deal. Formal night is special and festive. Why not celebrate and dress appropriately A cruise is a traditional vacation Casual is a club med. If you own a suit or sports jacket what is the issue?

I do not understand the big deal. Formal night is special and festive. Why not celebrate and dress appropriately A cruise is a traditional vacation Casual is a club med. If you own a suit or sports jacket what is the issue?

And that is fine if you are dining in the MDR. My point is it's not required all over the ship. If I was to dine in the main dining room I would follow the code. But if I wish to have a drink in the martini bar before dining in an alternate venue without a jacket, that is allowed.

Not everyone sees a cruise in that light. We are going on this cruise to see Alaska and to spend as much time off the ship as possible. Formal nights are not our focus.

And that is fine if you are dining in the MDR. My point is it's not required all over the ship. If I was to dine in the main dining room I would follow the code. But if I wish to have a drink in the martini bar before dining in an alternate venue without a jacket, that is allowed.

Not everyone sees a cruise in that light. We are going on this cruise to see Alaska and to spend as much time off the ship as possible. Formal nights are not our focus.

I am thinking the same way now that suitcase space is a big issue, especially when going B2B. I wore a tux for years. Recently I wore a sportcoat with tie. DW says I need to just bring one dark suit a couple of ties and several color shirts. One cruise I wore a sportcoat without a tie and felt uncomfortable, soooo I conformed. H

I am thinking the same way now that suitcase space is a big issue, especially when going B2B. I wore a tux for years. Recently I wore a sportcoat with tie. DW says I need to just bring one dark suit a couple of ties and several color shirts. One cruise I wore a sportcoat without a tie and felt uncomfortable, soooo I conformed. H

Dark was removed from the description of suits a couple of years ago so any color suit is fine...

Would my husband feel uncomfortable wearing a dress shirt, tie, and dark slacks on formal nite? Don't want to waste space on jacket when we know we need a range of clothes to suit the weather. Over the years we've learned less is more! Only 2 more weeks to go- can't wait.

Does anyone know the dress code for TEEN boys on regular nights in MDR? Would khaki/plaid shorts, collar shirt be appropriate or are pants required?

I wish to thank "new" posters on the Celebrity Board for stimulating the ever-interesting clothing discussion. All the usual suspects have accepted the challenge, hook, line and sinker.. ;) :p

For my own light hearted contribution in the spirit of this thread-thread:

I wish to save the hassle of packing a jacket. For all those who have personally witnessed the passing out of jackets on formal night, could you comment on the fit and quality of the jacket? Can this jacket providing service be pre-booked? Why rent a tux when the dining room will provide a jacket free of charge?

I love your opinion

It has nothing to do with manners. A person can dress very formally and still have bad manners. Conversely, a person can underdress and be very polite and kind to others.

The reason people "don't get it" is because they are on vacation and want to relax. Preparing for a formal occasion (at least for women) is WORK. It involves the hair dresser, the make-up person, etc. Some cruise for this and love to do it. Others cruise to enjoy the beaches or sight-see extensively and don't want to bother. Most make some kind of an effort to "fit in", but don't make a big deal of it.

My 2 cents!

It is quite simplistic, since the rule for males is tux, suit, or dinner jacket (not sport coat).

I would venture a guess that most people do not even realize what a dinner jacket is truth be told. If someone wears a dressy sport coat with a shirt and tie and dark slacks, I would think even the most particular among us would think that would be acceptable. I usually hold pretty firm to the 'these are the rules and if you don't like them then make other arrangements' side of things, but I don't thing someone dressed as I described would look out of line at all. I would expect 99% of people would not realize he was technically not in compliance.

There are so many places to eat on the ships. Why get into a lather over formal nights? If you do not wish to wear a tux or a suit or a jacket, you have the option of other dining venues that are still included in the price of your cruise. The MDR is like eating out in a fine restaurant at home...would you wear shorts there? Wouldn't you at least wear a sport jacket with or with out a tie?

My husband brings what we call his "wedding, funeral, cruse suit" which he has had since we got married. He obviously doesn't wear it over often because it still looks like new. I nought it for,him the first Christmas we were married and we just celebrated out 32nd wedding anniversary. Now we are down to a blue sports jacket with no tie it that is fine.

Happy sailing

There are so many places to eat on the ships. Why get into a lather over formal nights? If you do not wish to wear a tux or a suit or a jacket, you have the option of other dining venues that are still included in the price of your cruise. The MDR is like eating out in a fine restaurant at home...would you wear shorts there? Wouldn't you at least wear a sport jacket with or with out a tie?

Other than the evening buffet or dining in one's stateroom, what other "dining venues that are still included in the price of your cruise." would offer a similar quality meal to one not inclined to wear formal dining attire?

According to some "Wouldn't you at least wear a sport jacket with or with out a tie?", this would not cut the mustard... (I follow the code, I'm just suggesting that those who do not prefer to dress the part prefer the fine restaurant meal rather than more costly alternatives such as booking Aqua. or the specialty restaurants.

Where I live it's actually hard to find a restaurant where you would see anyone dressed in a jacket. I suppose there are some but I haven't run across any yet. It's a vacation/retirement area & NO ONE feels like dressing up any more. That includes restaurants, weddings & funerals.

Where I live it's actually hard to find a restaurant where you would see anyone dressed in a jacket. I suppose there are some but I haven't run across any yet. It's a vacation/retirement area & NO ONE feels like dressing up any more. That includes restaurants, weddings & funerals.

Those folks are best ignored.

Archived