Jacket necessary on Infinity formal nite?

SanMarco98

CC does not allow reference to the website.

I believe what they are looking for an example of is this,

"Attempts to post correct information are thwarted consistently."

But I could be wrong.

CC does not allow reference to the website.

I believe the information that I gave you in Post #120 is correct.

I have seen some references to the Celebrity Dress Code that was pretty definitive in at least one other website (an org that provides cruise advice). It said:

"Depending on the length of the cruise, one or two nights with be a Cruise Elegant." Years ago, "Formal Night" on cruises meant a pre-cruise trip to the tuxedo rental shop or, shopping for a fancy cocktail dress or evening gown. While you will see the occasional tuxedo, you will more likely see a sport coat, dinner jacket, dress shirt and dress slacks, or, a business suit (with and without neckties) on the gentleman . . .."

That looked suspicious to me as "Cruise Elegant" is a term that Carnival uses, not Celebrity. So I went over and looked at what they said about Carnival's dress code. It was EXACTLY the same down to the typo in the first sentence. RCCL, Disney, Princess, and HAL were the same. Even NCL was described by using much of the same language.

A major online travel agency still says that Celebrity still has casual, smart casual, and Formal nights and that was changed 4 years ago.

I'm not one of the ones who has jumped all over you for some of your posts. I'm trying to help you (and others) understand what the dress code on Celebrity is. People on this forum have a lot more experience with Celebrity than I have so I tend to listen to them even if I don't agree with the policy or like the manner in which they choose to post. If someone posts something that is untrue, someone else will correct them (usually gently, sometimes not).

So, I understand if you can't link to what you are reading elsewhere. You could, however, type out the relevant parts. Others might benefit from reading that here.

Happy cruising!

Polls, statistics, opinions, etc., mean nothing. It is the cruise line and how they enforce their rules/suggestions that really means what people do and wear. Until the cruise line follows and implements it rules/suggestions fleet wide on each and every ship consistently, people will do whatever they feel is appropriate for them. JMHO!

BK, you are obviously a nice, polite person. Guess what, so am I. I give people the benefit of the doubt, but when it becomes obvious that they are just here to stir the pot, they should be called on it. It's not fair to someone who may find himself in an embarrassing situation to receive bad advice. That is absolutely my only purpose in posting to these dress code threads. Once on board, it's too late for advice and no one spends their time checking the other passengers except the Maitre'd.

I enjoy Formal Night, but it is certainly not the end all of a cruising experience. It's just one small part of what makes Celebrity just a step above some of the other cruise lines and I feel is PART of what attracts a nice demographic to Celebrity ships. I could go on a Celebrity cruise and never enter the dining room on Formal Night and enjoy myself completely. There are lots of other options available and after all it's just a couple of nights in the main dining room.

In my experience, which is fairly extensive with Celebrity (78 cruise credits), most people do abide by Celebrity's dress codes and most even dress above the minimum on Smart Casual evenings. This being said I don't do any cruises less than a week and very few even that short.

It's obvious to me that there are always going to be the few regular pot stirrers on these boards, but it's not going to be me calling them on it any more.

Polls, statistics, opinions, etc., mean nothing. It is the cruise line and how they enforce their rules/suggestions that really means what people do and wear. Until the cruise line follows and implements it rules/suggestions fleet wide on each and every ship consistently, people will do whatever they feel is appropriate for them. JMHO!

While I will repeat my position that you can do what you want as long as it dosen't hurt others, so dressing how you wish is a personal choice. However, I hope that adults intuitively "do the right thing" out of respect. Most folks have good instincts in all aspects of their lives. It would be anarchy if people didn't obey some rules .

Just returned from Celebrity Alaskan cruise. On formal night most people did have jackets but not all. The weirdest thing we saw was a man who had on a tee shirt (no jacket) and the tee had a bow tie painted at the neck of the tee. He had no jacket and was allowed into the main restaurant no questions asked.

BK, you are obviously a nice, polite person. Guess what, so am I. I give people the benefit of the doubt, but when it becomes obvious that they are just here to stir the pot, they should be called on it. It's not fair to someone who may find himself in an embarrassing situation to receive bad advice. That is absolutely my only purpose in posting to these dress code threads.......It's obvious to me that there are always going to be the few regular pot stirrers on these boards, but it's not going to be me calling them on it any more.

Really nice post Ma Bell. I'm afraid more than a few of us would fall into the category of 'jumping all over' certain posters, considering we've been through this so many times with them and its turned into a game.....the problem is when we dont respond, others start to think those posters are legit, not just playing around for the fun of it.

And as to the comment about statistics, polls and especially personal opinon meaning nothing only what is enforced, we aren't talking about major laws and so on, we are talking about what to wear to dinner....and the ship, as many have said, isn't going to turn this into an 'off with their heads' situation (decided Not to use a nautical reference to punishments!), and will not enforce some standard at all times, just as what they do with booze smuggling, drink card sharing, and so on. There are ways of insuring all passengers aren't breaking any of these rules, but it would make for an uncomfortable and unnecessary atmosphere for all of us.

So the reason we share opinions, run polls and provide 'statistics' is to give those asking questions what is the norm, instead of the 'its OK because I saw a guy wearing just a shirt'. Most people aren't looking for what they can get away with, but what is the norm. Those that know the rules/guidelines and knowing break them, fine, go for it for whatever reason you come up with.

Den

Just returned from Celebrity Alaskan cruise. On formal night most people did have jackets but not all. The weirdest thing we saw was a man who had on a tee shirt (no jacket) and the tee had a bow tie painted at the neck of the tee. He had no jacket and was allowed into the main restaurant no questions asked.

This is exactly why myself & a few other poster have been saying for a while but there are a few formalists who seem to deny it happens on Celebrity. I suppose it all in what you want to see in the dining rooms.

This is exactly why myself & a few other poster have been saying for a while but there are a few formalists who seem to deny it happens on Celebrity. I suppose it all in what you want to see in the dining rooms.

Nobody is saying it doesn't happen but you have to have been on a Celebrity cruise to see it.

Been there many a time & it's become more casual over the years which is exactly what a vacation should be. Believe what you like. :D

You have never sailed Celebrity and refuse to accept facts from those who have.Get over it You are simply wrong ( i do find you amusing though)

You seem like an Ok person but calling people Formalist makes you look a bit silly

Really nice post Ma Bell. I'm afraid more than a few of us would fall into the category of 'jumping all over' certain posters, considering we've been through this so many times with them and its turned into a game.....the problem is when we dont respond, others start to think those posters are legit, not just playing around for the fun of it.

And as to the comment about statistics, polls and especially personal opinon meaning nothing only what is enforced, we aren't talking about major laws and so on, we are talking about what to wear to dinner....and the ship, as many have said, isn't going to turn this into an 'off with their heads' situation (decided Not to use a nautical reference to punishments!), and will not enforce some standard at all times, just as what they do with booze smuggling, drink card sharing, and so on. There are ways of insuring all passengers aren't breaking any of these rules, but it would make for an uncomfortable and unnecessary atmosphere for all of us.

So the reason we share opinions, run polls and provide 'statistics' is to give those asking questions what is the norm, instead of the 'its OK because I saw a guy wearing just a shirt'. Most people aren't looking for what they can get away with, but what is the norm. Those that know the rules/guidelines and knowing break them, fine, go for it for whatever reason you come up with.

Den

Very well said

Been there many a time & it's become more casual over the years which is exactly what a vacation should be. Believe what you like. :D

Four years is a long time especially since when you went four years ago, they didn't enforce the dress code real good. They appear to be doing it now better than they did four years ago. I will believe what I see from recent experience and from those who have posted on this board of their recent experiences. Recent being the operative word.

On the mellennium? H

Four years is a long time especially since when you went four years ago, they didn't enforce the dress code real good. They appear to be doing it now better than they did four years ago. I will believe what I see from recent experience and from those who have posted on this board of their recent experiences. Recent being the operative word.

Has it been 4 years since my last X cruise ! You seem to know more than I do. :D

What is important is that people know that the dress code isn't all that formal & people like spotgrey who've cruised recently can testify to it. :p

Has it been 4 years since my last X cruise ! You seem to know more than I do. :D

What is important is that people know that the dress code isn't all that formal & people like spotgrey who've cruised recently can testify to it. :p

Spotgrey didn't say that .LOL and I don't believe that you said you were on an X cruise in fact you said you haven't

Don't you know that if someone sees "a" person who was admitted to the dining room looking like a fool it means Celebrity isn't a very formal cruise line. Strange, I was on Eclipse for 21 days in April-May this year and didn't see anyone looking the least bit like that. How can that be?:eek:

• I like to dress up for formal night - but 4 formal nights on one 17-day cruise was too many.
  • I like to see other people dressed up, too. I especially like to see how cute the children look when they are dressed up (I'm a grandmother, not a paedophile! ;)).
  • From my own observation, the majority of people make some effort to conform to the dress code.
  • If someone does not dress appropriately, that does not bother me - it's not my job to police the dress code. Let the cruise line do it.
  • FWIW, I've only once seen someone asked to leave the dining room because he was inappropriately dressed on formal night, and that was on RCCL, the line whose standards some think are lower than Celebrity's!

My DH wears a dark suit, white shirt and dark tie on most formal nights.

On one cruise, on the formal night that followed a port day in Egypt, he elected to wear the Egyptian attire of long, white robe with black and white head-dress.

As he entered the MDR, the maitre d' said to him: "Nice dress, Sir!" Our waiter told him: "Black and white is good, Sir."

I wore an Egyptian-style long dress. We were not the only couple dressed in similar fashion.

We were on the Infinity last week. We found it to be a very informal cruise. Very few tuxes, some suits, more sportcoats than anything else. Many men did not have ties.

Please do not attack. I am just writing about what I saw.

We are people who follow the dress code on Celebrity. That being said, it does not bother me in the least when others don't. It is their issue, and up to Celebrity to take care of it if the line has a problem with it.

If someone asked, I would recommend they take a jacket and tie if they want to be certain to get into the MDR. If they are willing to risk it, that is their perogative, but then they can't complain if they can't get in.

Archived