Giving food to room steward/waitstaff?

IheartNYC

I am a newbie at cruising and was just wondering about some of the posts I've seen here regarding how people reward their room steward/ waitstaff. We all obviously have to tip and leave gratuities, but aside from the customary tip, some others leave food (e.g. chocolate bars) with a thank you note for their room steward and there was also one who left part of a birthday cake for the waitstaff to partake of. I would assume that getting a choc bar is the last thing anyone would want (considering the massive array of foods in the cruise ship) but, apparently, these gifts were well-received and well-appreciated.

My question is, do people bring these foods on board, knowing that they want to give them out or do they get it for free on the ship and give them away?

I am a newbie at cruising and was just wondering about some of the posts I've seen here regarding how people reward their room steward/ waitstaff. We all obviously have to tip and leave gratuities, but aside from the customary tip, some others leave food (e.g. chocolate bars) with a thank you note for their room steward and there was also one who left part of a birthday cake for the waitstaff to partake of. I would assume that getting a choc bar is the last thing anyone would want (considering the massive array of foods in the cruise ship) but, apparently, these gifts were well-received and well-appreciated.

My question is, do people bring these foods on board, knowing that they want to give them out or do they get it for free on the ship and give them away?

I think they are well received because the room steward is too polite to anything else. Foof is not lacking for staff. They have their own dining rooms and are served buffet style so they can have all the food they want. Just leave your tips intact and you've done your part.

There was a programme on UK Television about 10 years ago which followed some of the guests and crew onboard the Galaxy.

One of the crew members explained that it is strictly against the rules for crew to keep any type of foodstuff in their cabins.

Giving gifts of this nature could put the crew member in a difficult position.

I'm sure if they had a choice them they would prefer to be given extra $$$ above anything else.

some others leave food (e.g. chocolate bars) with a thank you note for their room steward and there was also one who left part of a birthday cake for the waitstaff to partake of.

How nice of them! :rolleyes: They leave chocolate bars when the crew has access to whatever ethnic foods they prefer, or worse, leftover birthday cake, as if a partially eaten hand-me-down dessert will show how grateful they are. Truly absurd! Any staff who would indicate they aren't thrilled with whatever the dumb passengers give them would instantly be reprimanded by their supervisors. They are specifically instructed to never show anything other than a smile, no matter what they encounter.

The two best ways to show appreciation or to reward for superior service is with an additional tip, and a positive review on the comment cards available at the customer service desk. The money they can instantly use for whatever purpose they may have, and the positive review will help them next time their supervisor is assessing their work.

A partially eaten birthday cake?

Ummm...I would be highly offended if someone left me this as a tip(or in addition to).

If you want to do something extra, give extra cash along with a handwritten note of appreciation.

A partially eaten birthday cake?

Ummm...I would be highly offended if someone left me this as a tip(or in addition to).

If you want to do something extra, give extra cash along with a handwritten note of appreciation.

I love cake, but with money I can get my own piece that I know is fresh and hasn't been in someone's room (where it could possibly be tampered with or go stale/off :eek:). A gift as well as tip is fine but don't leave half eaten food, that is not what they would want or need.

I am a newbie at cruising and was just wondering about some of the posts I've seen here regarding how people reward their room steward/ waitstaff. We all obviously have to tip and leave gratuities, but aside from the customary tip, some others leave food (e.g. chocolate bars) with a thank you note for their room steward and there was also one who left part of a birthday cake for the waitstaff to partake of. I would assume that getting a choc bar is the last thing anyone would want (considering the massive array of foods in the cruise ship) but, apparently, these gifts were well-received and well-appreciated
Of course they will thank you and act appreciative no matter what you give them, even if they will toss it into the trash as soon as you are out of sight.

It is common courtesy, similar to the way that we were taught as children to thank our great-aunt profusely and act delighted when she gave us the gift of underwear or pajamas that we hated and never wore. :D

If we give the gift of money instead, then they can get what they really want instead of what we think they should have.

Well I always take lots of cadbury's chocolate with me, most of the staff send all their money home to their families and will rarely spend money on themselves, I think most staff love this little treat, and the staff dont get the food that the passenger get: Also especially in the med british chocolate is very expensive, I will continue to take little treats, on 1 ship the staff used to ask regular cruisers to bring chocolate on board for them. I dont give them chocolate instead of a tip they get pre paid + cash + chocolate from us.

Well I always take lots of cadbury's chocolate with me, most of the staff send all their money home to their families and will rarely spend money on themselves, I think most staff love this little treat, and the staff dont get the food that the passenger get: Also especially in the med british chocolate is very expensive, I will continue to take little treats, on 1 ship the staff used to ask regular cruisers to bring chocolate on board for them. I dont give them chocolate instead of a tip they get pre paid + cash + chocolate from us.

How do you know if the staff person has food allergies? How do you know if the staff person has religious restrictions like having to eat Halal or Kosher? How do you know they even like a certain food? Giving any kind of food, including candy, isn't a good idea, no matter how well intended. Plus, the ships have crew shops where they can get candy. There is a person who posts on these boards who said they really don't care to get little gifts. I mean, look at it this way-----a cabin steward cleans 15 or more cabins. If even a third of their passengers give them some kind of candy every week, what would they do with all of it?

To IHeartNYC, what person in their right mind would give a partially eaten cake? That's sheer lunacy, and a bit disgusting. The staff is not lacking for any kind of food, including cake and candy.

I know there are those of us on here who remember Pink Floyd;)

I am aging myself.....but they had a song, called "MONEY"........

"Money, Money, Money, Money, Moneyyyyy"..........

If you want to give a Thank You card and extra money?...That is

the best gift of all:D

I believe the staff generally tell you what you want to hear in order to please you. Having said that, one waiter told us that a recommendation of a staff member on the 'attention to detail' card or the end of cruise questionaire was one of the best ways of rewarding them. He told us that it can lead to promotions, extra time off and other perks. On Royal Carribean, one crew member told us that he was rewarded with special crew events on board, and had even been on a crew only excursion.

Richard

I know there are those of us on here who remember Pink Floyd;)

I am aging myself.....but they had a song, called "MONEY"........

"Money, Money, Money, Money, Moneyyyyy"..........

If you want to give a Thank You card and extra money?...That is

the best gift of all:D

I do remember Pink Floyd, and their Money song, as well as many other songs by them.

The Pink Floyd song was a far cry better than the ABBA version. Comparing Pink Floyd & ABBA is as much of an abomination, as leaving uneaten cake for cruise ship staff. I honestly can't believe anyone would actually do that.

The best tip you can leave them is money, period. They send money home to their families that they often haven't seen in months. They could not care less for "food tips", especially a plate of half eaten birthday cake, wow.

How do you know if the staff person has food allergies? How do you know if the staff person has religious restrictions like having to eat Halal or Kosher? How do you know they even like a certain food? Giving any kind of food, including candy, isn't a good idea, no matter how well intended. Plus, the ships have crew shops where they can get candy. There is a person who posts on these boards who said they really don't care to get little gifts. I mean, look at it this way-----a cabin steward cleans 15 or more cabins. If even a third of their passengers give them some kind of candy every week, what would they do with all of it?

To IHeartNYC, what person in their right mind would give a partially eaten cake? That's sheer lunacy, and a bit disgusting. The staff is not lacking for any kind of food, including cake and candy.

probably share it with those who never get to see the passengers, IE. laundry staff, engine staff etc, I work in the nursing sector and my work collegues and I really appreciate chocolates or cookies from patients,

I think the staff loves our leftovers - for example I gave the remainder of the roll of soft toilet paper I brought on board with me to the guy that had to come to our cabin every day when our toilet would get all jammed up for some reason. He smiled and said thank you and looked so happy!:rolleyes:

No, seriously: give them cash and positive comments on the review form. That is what they really want and what they really need. If you want to really reward someone then in addition to cash write a personal note to management telling them about the great service the person gave you.

I got a bunch of wine once (10 bottles on 7 day cruise). I gave them to the crew. I know they can turn them in to get other wine that they like (my room steward told me that). As for food they have to except with a smile then throw it away (if cake for example). As for chocolate bars that are sealed they turn them in and it becomes part of crew party (same for the bottles of wine).

All very valid points! I figured they would appreciate the money more...at least that's how I'd feel if I were in their shoes. Although getting extra food stuff (on top of the money) is still not that bad. Half eaten cake?...umm, maybe a bit too much?! The thought of sharing is always nice, though. I guess it's the thought that counts. :p

C'mon guys. I THINK what happened is that someone was given a cake at their dinner table for a birthday or anniversary celebration. They shared it with tablemates and then asked the waitstaff if they'd like to enjoy some too. I believe it was a polite gesture.

People on this board are VERY quick to criticize! What would you do if you had half of a large cake left on your table? Would you not offer it to someone?

No one is saying, contrary to some snarky comments here, that the staff was offered 'half eaten cake' instead of a gratuity!!!

When packing, we had extra sodas and we asked the room steward if he would like them rather than us taking them home. He said yes, he would love to have them.

We certainly did not leave these in lieu of a tip though!

As posted just give cash. I know some people think it is really nice to do both but I am sure most is tossed. None of them will complain but if there was a poll it would probably be 100% would rather have the money spent on it.

Look at it the way. Next time you go to a restaurant leave a chocolate bar with some cash. I don't know if they will eat the chocolate bar but I am sure it will make a impression. The next time you go back they will remember that you left it and won't complain and will schmooze it up as not to upset you but I can imagine the talk in the back room. Each time leave more candy and less money because they "really loved it". I am sure they will eventually say something. If every passenger decided to leave some food because they "enjoyed" it they would have way too much at the end of the day. I don't even eat the chocolate that is left on the pillow because I had enough during the day. I put them in the drawer and at the end of the cruise it has accumulated to where it eventually gets tossed even if I take it home.

I don't know if any of you ever worked the "back of the house"(what the restaurant kitchen is called in the industry), but it may also be against rules for staff to accept food from passengers(the exception may be items that are wrapped and uneaten, like the examples of wine, soda, and chocolate bars/candy). I'm a trained pastry chef of almost 15 years, and many of the places I worked(except the ones that made arrangements with homeless shelters)make it against the rules for staff to take home food. There might be regulations in place forbidding staff from accepting open/partially consumed food from passengers, and that any food that's been open or partially consumed be thrown away. As for some staff accepting it, they're not going to say no, and most likely, it's thrown away when clearing up. No snark here, just a thought from a food professional.

I too have read about people bringing food specialties or souvenirs from their home town to leave for the cabin attendant. I wondered what he/she would even do with this stuff. While those of European origins love chocolate, this isn't a typical treat in Asia.

Money and good reviews on the comment cards are the best rewards!

We always keep a bowl of chocolates (wrapped) in our room. I tell the attendant , that if they want they may share it with us. I do not make it sound like a gift or part of the tip. Usually they will take a couple each time they clean the room. If they don't want it, they leave it. Simple.

I also do this at work for my co-workers (they seem to like it as well)

Archived