Carnival Dream with 2 toddlers? Good idea or not?

susanch12345

We want a nice family vacation. We have 2 year old boy/girl twins (will be a few days shy of 3 by the time of cruising). They are in general good-behaving.

We are looking at the Western Caribbean itinerary on the Carnival Dream. We picked this boat because it’s newer and supposedly has more stuff for kids to do. The twins are used to day cares, so they may find the Kid camp interesting. We may drop them off for a few hours here and there, just so that we have some time of our own.

Is cruising a good idea for toddlers? Especially we have two?

Your oppinion is greatly appreciated... Good or bad... Thank you.

It's a GREAT idea! Our 2 year old has already been on 3 cruises (he started when he was 12 months old) and every time we sail, it gets better!

First cruise (aboard the Carnival Fascination) was a bit of a cheap experiment for us (we live within driving distance of Jacksonville and the cruise was very inexpensive). At 12 months, our son was just starting to walk and was in the process of transitioning to real food, so it was more challenging. But at 3 years of age, you won't have any of those issues. We still had an enjoyable time on our first cruise, but the next 2 were much better.

We sailed on the Carnival Dream last October and had a great time. Our son was a few weeks too young to go to Camp Carnival, but your kids will be able to fully participate in all of the activities. Our previous cruise was on Allure of the Seas where he was able to attend their Adventure Ocean program (Royal Babies and Tots starts at 6 months) and it was absolutely wonderful. He loved going there and mingling with other kids (he's used to Day Care back home and loves it too), while mom and dad went to a specialty restaurant, watched a theater performance, or just relaxed at the adults only Solarium.

Keep in mind that the cruise experience will be quite different than what you're probably used to, but it won't be a BAD experience. You may not be able to go to the MDR every night, or you may need to skip some shows, go to bed earlier, but as I've said many times on this board, the experiences from my last 3 cruises with our son are far more memorable than those from any previous cruise!

We are now gearing up for our next cruise. This time to Alaska with our son and our new daughter (who is currently 3 months old, but will be 15 months old when we sail).

Don't let any of the kid haters steer you away from a family cruise vacation. It's truly one of the best options!

My twins did two cruises before they were 3. In my opinion, cruising is by far the best way to vacation with little ones. We still do land vacations, but cruises are always our most enjoyable - both for them and for me. If you have any questions, post them on the family board - those experienced family cruisers helped us have a successful first cruise, and my twins will be doing cruise #9 for their 8th birthday.

Best,

Mia

Three years ago we took our 1 year old on Freedom of the Seas and it was a lot of work. We did book a suite so we would have more room and they did have some in the cabin baby sitter options but we both decided that we would not cruise again until he was old enough for a childs program. Three years later, we were itching to try it again so we are taking our now 4 year old and baby sister who is 2 on the Legend in 3 weeks. I was willing to try it again because Camp Carnival is available to 2 years and up where other lines wait until 3 years of age. I will try to look this back up when we get home to give you a report. I am assuming it should be a much better experience this time around.We are not the type to leave them in the camp much, it is just nice to have an option for a few hours here and there so the adults can have some much needed time together. In addition we would never leave them on the boat alone at port.

I wish my daughter were little again, just to take her on cruises. I think she'd have a ball! Vacations in general give kids greater breadth and understanding of their world. And if she were young, Dream is the ship I'd take my daughter on.

We want a nice family vacation. We have 2 year old boy/girl twins (will be a few days shy of 3 by the time of cruising). They are in general good-behaving.

We are looking at the Western Caribbean itinerary on the Carnival Dream. We picked this boat because it’s newer and supposedly has more stuff for kids to do. The twins are used to day cares, so they may find the Kid camp interesting. We may drop them off for a few hours here and there, just so that we have some time of our own.

Your oppinion is greatly appreciated... Good or bad... Thank you.

I took my 3 year old little girl in April .. There were pros and cons to it .. Plan on early nights. My daughter couldnt hang past 8:00 or so. Then there is nap time ..The Camp Carnival Hours were weird sometimes too . My daughter had a great time when it was all said and done. The smiles and laughs were well worth putting up with the cranky times... I cant wait to take her again.

Cruising is a great family vacation. DD was 21 months old when we went on our first cruise and it was fantastic. She couldn't participate in Camp Carnival, but it was fine--I didn't have to cook or clean or run errands, I just got to spend quality time with my family. We had a blast!

DD is now 17 and in August we'll be on our 9th and 10th cruises. She love cruising and we have wonderful memories of all our cruises together.

Have a wonderful time with your family!

And, one more thing...the crew will dote on them! They love the kids!

True.. My little girl is adopted from Russia .. The dining room staff used to hunt us down every night . She got stuffed animals from Russian Crew members ..

True.. My little girl is adopted from Russia .. The dining room staff used to hunt us down every night . She got stuffed animals from Russian Crew members ..

Oh, how sweet!

When DD was six, our wait staff used to treat her like a princess. She loved it. She still remembers George and Laura and that was 11 years ago!

We took our first born on RCCL about a month or two before she turned 3 so she couldn't participate in their kids program. we still had a blast. my DW likes to sleep in but me and my DD are early birds so every morning we would have breakfast over looking the water. there were times when we wish we could have some adult time and my wife and I agreed to only cruise when the kids are old enough for the camp programs, but nothing can beat those mornings I had with my little girl...

now we are booked on Carnival Dream and now we are a family of 4. DS is 3 and DD is 8. We plan on using the camp some but they will be with us most of the time.

It's a GREAT idea! Our 2 year old has already been on 3 cruises (he started when he was 12 months old) and every time we sail, it gets better!

First cruise (aboard the Carnival Fascination) was a bit of a cheap experiment for us (we live within driving distance of Jacksonville and the cruise was very inexpensive). At 12 months, our son was just starting to walk and was in the process of transitioning to real food, so it was more challenging. But at 3 years of age, you won't have any of those issues. We still had an enjoyable time on our first cruise, but the next 2 were much better.

We sailed on the Carnival Dream last October and had a great time. Our son was a few weeks too young to go to Camp Carnival, but your kids will be able to fully participate in all of the activities. Our previous cruise was on Allure of the Seas where he was able to attend their Adventure Ocean program (Royal Babies and Tots starts at 6 months) and it was absolutely wonderful. He loved going there and mingling with other kids (he's used to Day Care back home and loves it too), while mom and dad went to a specialty restaurant, watched a theater performance, or just relaxed at the adults only Solarium.

Keep in mind that the cruise experience will be quite different than what you're probably used to, but it won't be a BAD experience. You may not be able to go to the MDR every night, or you may need to skip some shows, go to bed earlier, but as I've said many times on this board, the experiences from my last 3 cruises with our son are far more memorable than those from any previous cruise!

We are now gearing up for our next cruise. This time to Alaska with our son and our new daughter (who is currently 3 months old, but will be 15 months old when we sail).

Don't let any of the kid haters steer you away from a family cruise vacation. It's truly one of the best options!

First of all, I don't hate kids; and, I don't think most people do either. What I do dislike, is parents who don't take cranky, tired children out of dining rooms or shows. I love children but don't think they should be put in positions where they are unhappy or in an inappropriate place at their bedtimes. Took my children and now, my grandchildren travelling, including cruising. It just takes some preplanning of activities and consideration for others. Take your twins and enjoy yourself. It can be very enjoyable for everyone.

Archived