Question about Destiny?

Jamerican71

Questions about my Destiny Cruise (MIA - Key West - Cozumel - MIA)

(1) How dressy are guests in the main dining room on the first night of the cruise?

(2) Tips- I've read several posts about tips and from what I understand the tips are automatically put on my account but I can remove them?? I am not removing them but does this mean I don't have to tip more unless I want to. On my first cruise in 2008 on Royal Caribbean, they gave us envelopes at the end of the cruise so should I expect that in addition to the tips that will be on my account?

Thank you!

Questions about my Destiny Cruise (MIA - Key West - Cozumel - MIA)

(1) How dressy are guests in the main dining room on the first night of the cruise? The last time it was cruise casual. The standard is lightened a bit the first night because of luggage may not arrive early enough for dinner. I usually have country club golf attire in my carryon for dinner. The wife will have a nice top with a skirt and usually flats.

(2) Tips- I've read several posts about tips and from what I understand the tips are automatically put on my account but I can remove them?? I am not removing them but does this mean I don't have to tip more unless I want to. Exactly! You can leave them on, you can remove them and pay in cash the old envelope way, or you can leave them on and add to it in an envelope for extra special attention or if you asked for somthing out of the ordinary. On my first cruise in 2008 on Royal Caribbean, they gave us envelopes at the end of the cruise so should I expect that in addition to the tips that will be on my account? No, if you want to do the envelope thing you will need to go to the purser's desk and pick them up yourself. The last few cruises with auto tipping they didn't deliver envelopes.

Thank you!

Side note: There is a whole thing about auto tipping and weather you get better service if you leave them on or not and who gets the money and if cash goes into a big pool to be shared.

Here is one of the many posts on tipping to get you started...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1584154

This is a copy of one of the posts from that thread. My post is #25 and it explains how Princess auto tipping works.

Tipping

• Tipping is NOT included in the base cruise fare or in the normal fees applied prior to cruising.
  • Carnival recommends you use their automated tipping service. This service automatically applies daily tips, currently $11.50/day for everyone 2 years of age and older, to your Sail & Sign Account. The total tipping charge usually appears on your account the second cruise day.
  • The $11.50/day tips are split this way:
    • $5.80/day to Dining Room Services (Head Waiter, Waiter, Assistant Waiter)
    • $3.70/day to Cabin Services (Room Steward, Assistant Steward)
    • $2.00/day for Alternative Services (Kitchen, Entertainment, Guest Services & Hotel Staff)

[*]You can choose to remove the automatic tips, adjust them down or adjust how they are distributed. You can do this by personally visiting the Guest Services Desk.

[*]You can also choose to tip over-and-above the automatic tips. You can do this by either going to Guest Services and adjusting your automatic tips up or you can tip individuals in person throughout the cruise.

[*]If you do remove automatic tips the staff will know. Staff members have been known to be questioned by their superiors as to why you would be removing the tips.

[*]Also remember if you do remove automatic tips with plans on doing all your tipping in person you will most likely be leaving out many people who would normally be getting part of your automatic tips. You will not have personal interaction with many of the staff who salaries have been adjusted down to reflect your expected automatic tipping.

[*]If you like to keep your Sail & Sign Account to a minimum you can call Carnival (or your Travel Agent if you booked through one) and prepay your automatic tips before cruising. It will show as a credit to your account until the automatic tip charge hits your Sail & Sign Account once onboard.

[*]Bartenders automatically receive an added 15% gratuity when paying for your drinks with your Sail & Sign Card.

[*]A tip is expected for Room Service.

[*]Many cruisers will also tip these people: Bartenders (in addition to the 15% automatic gratuity), Waiters (in addition to automatic tipping), Room Steward (in addition to automatic tipping), Porters (for carrying your bags), Spa Service, Salon Service, Camp Counselors, and Shore Tour Guides.

[*]How you tip is a personal choice you need to make. We are just stating the facts here to best inform you.

Archived