5/27/12-Rangiroa

D-ma

Today we have only a half day on the island. The pass sail through is not to be missed so make sure that you are up on deck to view it. After much debate I decided to book the drift snorkel. I was afraid that the water might be too rough but I was assured by the very helpful people at the travel desk that they would cancel the tour if the water became too rough.

Well our drift snorkel was cancelled and the drift scuba was also cancelled. I found out later that it is the tide that determines if the tour will proceed or not. If the tide is coming in you will get to drift snorkel. If the tide is going out you will not snorkel. Many people were angry because we were not told until we were on the pier getting ready to get into the boats that the tour was cancelled. They offered a refund or they would take you to another spot. The majority of the people did not go to the regular snorkel. I went on the snorkel tour and it was great. I saw the head of a moray eel and then I got out of there. Another guest followed the same eel with his underwater video camera and got some great footage. Other guests saw the famous black tipped sharks but I have yet to see them.

I did not have time to tour the island but it looks charming from the boat. It was lovely to see all the people lined up and waving to the ship as we enter and leave port.

Tonight onboard they had a pearl cosmo party in the boutique. It was great fun. Emma and Julia are the sweetest people that you will ever meet. If you are considering buying pearls talk to them to get some great advice. Also, the ship is carrying another pearl line exclusively called Hinerava. They have some pearls of high quality that are not as expensive as Tahia and less conservative.

Archived