No Dog Sled excursions in September???

PongosMum

Does anyone know if this is true?

I understand that due to poor weather, this is one of the most cancelled trips on the itinerary but been reading some older posts (circa 2008) and a lot of people are saying that even though you can still pre-book, it isn’t usually available after the 2nd or 3rd week in August because the snow is “too mushy”.

Is this true of both Juneau & Skagway??

We’ve booked the Mendenhall dog sled experience for the first week of Sept, out of all the excursions we’ll be going on, it’s the trip I’m looking forward to the most. Although I know it might be cancelled due to the weather, that doesn’t seem half as bad as not even having a chance of going on it at all......:(

Would love any feedback from anyone ‘in the know’

thanks

I was in Alaska 2 years ago in mid September and there were no glacier dog sledding excursions offered because of the conditions on the glaciers. I'm not sure about the first week of the month but I would expect that it would be the same.

Correct. Your tour may be canceled because the camps shut down. You can NOT count on any glacier dog sled tours in Sept. I have seen them cancel as early as mid August- which is rare.

They ALWAYS, take bookings well past their expected dates of operation, on the remote possiblity that the tour will be available. This often leads people to think they will be going on the tour.

I suggest you be prepared for a cancelation. Then if it goes all the better.

As a backup I expect that the glacier landing, weather permitting will still be available, you should double check with your vendor. While dissapointing missing the dog sled, the views up and landing are still spectacular, the dog sled is an added pricy bonus.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if this is true?

I understand that due to poor weather, this is one of the most cancelled trips on the itinerary but been reading some older posts (circa 2008) and a lot of people are saying that even though you can still pre-book, it isn’t usually available after the 2nd or 3rd week in August because the snow is “too mushy”.

Is this true of both Juneau & Skagway??

We’ve booked the Mendenhall dog sled experience for the first week of Sept, out of all the excursions we’ll be going on, it’s the trip I’m looking forward to the most. Although I know it might be cancelled due to the weather, that doesn’t seem half as bad as not even having a chance of going on it at all......:(

Would love any feedback from anyone ‘in the know’

thanks

Archived