St Martin Sea Caves and low tide

I am so confused and hoping somebody can help me. My daughter wants to see the Sea Caves at St Martins but I know you have to go at low tide or at least 1 1/2 hours before that. Am I correct?

So we will be in port on June 28 from 8- 6. But does Carnival follow local time or stay on Eastern time ?

Because if they stay on Eastern time than low tide at 3:12 is actually 2:12 according to Carnival ? And if the ship sails at 6 that would really be 7 local time so we would not have to be back to ship until 6 local time ????????

And when we are in port at 8 it will already be 9 so follow that for tide schedules ??????

Help please

I am so confused and hoping somebody can help me. My daughter wants to see the Sea Caves at St Martins but I know you have to go at low tide or at least 1 1/2 hours before that. Am I correct?

So we will be in port on June 28 from 8- 6. But does Carnival follow local time or stay on Eastern time ?

Because if they stay on Eastern time than low tide at 3:12 is actually 2:12 according to Carnival ? And if the ship sails at 6 that would really be 7 local time so we would not have to be back to ship until 6 local time ????????

And when we are in port at 8 it will already be 9 so follow that for tide schedules ??????

Help please

The port schedule shows the Glory being here on the 25th and 30th but not on the 28th. Both arrival times are 9AM. Departure times are also listed.

You will find a tide schedule at http://www.cruisesaintjohn.com.

Times will be local or Atlantic time.

See link below for cruise ship schedule.

http://www.cruisesaintjohn.com/media/cruiseschedule.asp

Forgot to mention that the time for walking out to the caves would be an hour and a half on either side of low tide. However, as long as the tide is falling you can start walking before it is completely out enough to reach the caves. Wear a sturdy walking shoe. Sandals are not a good idea.

You must head back when the window closes or you could find yourself cut off by the water. Do not underestimate the tides.

I meant that the Glory will be in port on the 30th. We are thinking of renting a car and driving to St. Martins. If we get there at 2 that should be fine. Is the walk time consuming as I would not want to chance traffic and late arrival at ship

Thanks for the help

I meant that the Glory will be in port on the 30th. We are thinking of renting a car and driving to St. Martins. If we get there at 2 that should be fine. Is the walk time consuming as I would not want to chance traffic and late arrival at ship

Thanks for the help

You can park in the restaurant parking lot (free) and it is not a long walk but the ocean floor is rocky so that slows you down. They are smooth rocks. I would say 15 minutes. Halfway out there will be a little stream across the beach but there has always been a large plank there to walk on. It is only a few inches deep but the plank will keep your feet dry. It used to be a favourite Sunday drive for us but we haven't been there for a few years.

It would be about a 45 minute drive from Saint John, with a lot of it on a twisty two lane road.

St. Martins harbour is interesting at low tide as the fishing boats bottom out and just sit there until the tide comes in. There are two covered bridges by the harbour which you can walk through as the road is not busy. Just leave your car in the restaurant parking lot and walk back up the road to the bridge you will pass through on your way to the caves.

If you are renting a car, you may wish to explore the Fundy Trail ( very worthwhile)and come back to St. Martins for a seafood lunch St. Martin's is the entry point to the Fundy Trail. Check out their website:

http://fundytrailparkway.com/

Thank you for that tip. Looks like an excellent road trip. I am considering a car rental or a private tour. We are going to be there on a Sunday and I understand that the rental agencies are closed or have limited hours so that option might not be the best.

Rich

Archived