IOTS v Sunbeds

We just returned from IOTS today, during this voyage we had some fantastic weather, as this is a UK departure the guests normally like to make the most of the opportunity to get a tan. We were in the gym for an hour before deciding to go and get a bit of sun, the time was 10:30 as we strolled onto deck12 in search of our berthing rights for the day, after 1hour of continuously patrolling the decks with numerous other guests with towels under their arms, we decided to call it a day.

Every single bed was taken, either physicaly or by means of a towel draped over it.

There is obviously not enough beds for the potential amount of guests.

I would say most of the beds that morning had towels draped over them to save for later in the day.

While its wrong to commandeer the beds, it's also hard to blame a passenger for doing this when there is clearly not enough beds to go round.

This is going to be a long lasting issue if you ask me.

Your thoughts please.

I am a bit surprised to read this. When we were on Indy it could be difficult to get a chair on deck 11 near the pool but deck 12 was not hard. And it seemed like deck 13 was always good for many chairs.

If you must be right next to the pool, you need to be there early. We prefer being up a deck or two, and there's fewer crowds there, too! We've never had a problem finding a lounger or the space to drag a lounger to an empty area!

If there are lots of "hogged" chairs, find a pool attendant...they will remove the offending stuff!

I am a bit surprised to read this. When we were on Indy it could be difficult to get a chair on deck 11 near the pool but deck 12 was not hard. And it seemed like deck 13 was always good for many chairs.

The two small areas on deck13 ie above sky bar and above spa salon, the sun beds were all taken.

If you must be right next to the pool, you need to be there early. We prefer being up a deck or two, and there's fewer crowds there, too! We've never had a problem finding a lounger or the space to drag a lounger to an empty area!

If there are lots of "hogged" chairs, find a pool attendant...they will remove the offending stuff!

Being next to the pool is the last place we would ever want to be on a cruise ship, never had a problem finding a sun lounger, you obviously weren't on IOTS during the last 14 nights.

Every piece of floor space apart from the running track was taken, where do you put beds if there's no space, even the rear of the flow rider was all taken.

Have you ever cruised IOTS out of the UK? There was quite a few from USA on the last voyage, we would like to know their thoughts.

Last summer I sometimes managed to find spots to sit behind the flowrider or on the St Tropez area but anything near the pool was impossible. It's one of the reasons I decided to go for a balcony cabin rather than an OV this year, so I could get fresh air and maybe a little sun without having to fight for a lounger somewhere.

We were on Indy in September and, on the shuttle bus on the way back to the car park, we overheard someone boasting about how they got up early and put towels on two sets of sunbeds, one which would be sunny in the morning and the other for the afternoon!

Hmm. It always found Independence to have far more sunbeds than other cruise lines. I think it is pretty much pot luck on a sea day whether there are free beds or not. Sometimes I always found a couple of sunbeds, other times I had to just go sit down on deck 4 for a while and go check later.

The problem is, as you said, there is no more space for them to put sunbeds out on the deck. The jogging track needs to stay clear, or you end up having the problem which I found on Ventura, where you ended up tripping over sun loungers people had dragged everywhere in stupid positions.

We were on Indy in September and, on the shuttle bus on the way back to the car park, we overheard someone boasting about how they got up early and put towels on two sets of sunbeds, one which would be sunny in the morning and the other for the afternoon!

This makes me rage so badly. How did you resist punching them in the face?

Last summer I sometimes managed to find spots to sit behind the flowrider or on the St Tropez area but anything near the pool was impossible. It's one of the reasons I decided to go for a balcony cabin rather than an OV this year, so I could get fresh air and maybe a little sun without having to fight for a lounger somewhere.

We had a JS, unfortunately not on all four corners of the ship though.

Now these are disgustingly indescribable excuses for human beings.

Hmm. It always found Independence to have far more sunbeds than other cruise lines. I think it is pretty much pot luck on a sea day whether there are free beds or not. Sometimes I always found a couple of sunbeds, other times I had to just go sit down on deck 4 for a while and go check later.

The problem is, as you said, there is no more space for them to put sunbeds out on the deck. The jogging track needs to stay clear, or you end up having the problem which I found on Ventura, where you ended up tripping over sun loungers people had dragged everywhere in stupid positions.

One of the issues here is the apparent lack of beds to service the numbers onboard.

It's fine to have 3000 sun beds for 3000 people, what about 3000 for 4000, this is when the problem starts. We could see it causing quite a few exchanges among the guests last week.

One of the issues here is the apparent lack of beds to service the numbers onboard.

It's fine to have 3000 sun beds for 3000 people, what about 3000 for 4000, this is when the problem starts. We could see it causing quite a few exchanges among the guests last week.

But from what your original post claims , there was no space left to put anymore sun beds , so even if they had as many sun beds as passegers they would have nowhere to put them all .

I am sure royal work on the theory that not all 4000 passengers will be wanting beds at the same time , this would only be a problem on sea days and there is supposed to be a policy of not leaving your sun bed empty for more than 30 minutes , this was actualy policed on our Liberty cruise , we saw the pool attendants remove several towels from beds , admittedly this was from around the pool area , I don't know if other areas were policed as well .

Personally if I had been you I would have complained to a pool attendant , I am sure they would have removed some towels , I would never remove them myself but if I had nowhere to lay I would inform the pool attendant , sometimes it's so obvious which chairs are just being hogged and the attendant can sort it out .

We were not lucky enough to have this problem on our Indy sailing , we only managed to get up on deck a couple of times due to severe weather , so in some ways we all have to count our blessings .

I too came off Indy yesterday and I must say we didn't have a problem with beds on deck 11 or 12??:confused: when strolling along we often sat for a while on vacant beds.

Also, If you see beds with towels, just report to the towel attandant or a deck supervisor, they monitor for 20 minutes then remove them. never been a problem for us.

I too came off Indy yesterday and I must say we didn't have a problem with beds on deck 11 or 12??:confused: when strolling along we often sat for a while on vacant beds.

Also, If you see beds with towels, just report to the towel attandant or a deck supervisor, they monitor for 20 minutes then remove them. never been a problem for us.

You obviously found your beds before 10:30 enroute to Toulon.

But from what your original post claims , there was no space left to put anymore sun beds , so even if they had as many sun beds as passegers they would have nowhere to put them all .

I am sure royal work on the theory that not all 4000 passengers will be wanting beds at the same time , this would only be a problem on sea days and there is supposed to be a policy of not leaving your sun bed empty for more than 30 minutes , this was actualy policed on our Liberty cruise , we saw the pool attendants remove several towels from beds , admittedly this was from around the pool area , I don't know if other areas were policed as well .

Personally if I had been you I would have complained to a pool attendant , I am sure they would have removed some towels , I would never remove them myself but if I had nowhere to lay I would inform the pool attendant , sometimes it's so obvious which chairs are just being hogged and the attendant can sort it out .

We were not lucky enough to have this problem on our Indy sailing , we only managed to get up on deck a couple of times due to severe weather , so in some ways we all have to count our blessings .

The issue is, not everyone can be catered for when wanting to sit on a sunbed when the guest stats are greater than the supply, I think the theory in the UK is, when the sun is out, we want to be out, this was the case.

We've sailed Adventure on numerous occasions and never had a problem with sunbeds, but then again, when sailing from San Juan most of the locals are not bothered about finding sunbeds to enjoy their vacation.

We just returned from IOTS today, during this voyage we had some fantastic weather, as this is a UK departure the guests normally like to make the most of the opportunity to get a tan. We were in the gym for an hour before deciding to go and get a bit of sun, the time was 10:30 as we strolled onto deck12 in search of our berthing rights for the day, after 1hour of continuously patrolling the decks with numerous other guests with towels under their arms, we decided to call it a day.

Every single bed was taken, either physicaly or by means of a towel draped over it.

There is obviously not enough beds for the potential amount of guests.

I would say most of the beds that morning had towels draped over them to save for later in the day.

While its wrong to commandeer the beds, it's also hard to blame a passenger for doing this when there is clearly not enough beds to go round.

This is going to be a long lasting issue if you ask me.

Your thoughts please.

This relates to SEA days.

Ok, so we're nit picking, i'll edit my sentance!

"NO! most afternoon's AND when returning from trips ashore, normally between 2 and 4 pm"

I'm happy you managed to find your sun bed, I'm talking about 10:30 on a sea day morning, there were hundreds of people with towels under arms walking around trying to find their sunbeds.

We find it hard to criticise the guests on this issue when there is not enough to go round.

And no, not nit picking.

If I was wanting a good sunbathing session on a sea day i am afraid I would have claimed my bed before doing anything else , especially if I wanted a certain spot , we have gone poolside before breakfast and claimed beds then one of us would go and eat while the other stayed put , it's something you resign yourself to do if you are desperate for a sun bed , i wouldn't put towels on a bed and then both walk away but if one stays it shows you are going to be using the bed and not just chair hogging it .

Just wondering as I remember your posts about your trauma in Gibralter , if Indy has restored your disappointment in royal , if I remember rightly you were considering never cruising with royal again ? Apart from the sun bed issue did you have a good cruise ?

Linda .

I HAVE NO PROBLEM of taking a towel off an obviously "Saved" pool chair and plopping myself down on it. Let me prefice this by, I observe first, then after about 20 minutes, I go into action. If (and when) the ofigianl offenders return, I simply say the pool attendant came and removed their towel. Now, if there are personal items, I am a little more reluctant, but on At Sea days, I can't stand people who get up at 9am, put their towel down and then leave. Been on TOO MANY cruises not to know what is going on.

IOS over XMAS BEWARE, I'LL BE WATCHING!!!

If I was wanting a good sunbathing session on a sea day i am afraid I would have claimed my bed before doing anything else , especially if I wanted a certain spot , we have gone poolside before breakfast and claimed beds then one of us would go and eat while the other stayed put , it's something you resign yourself to do if you are desperate for a sun bed , i wouldn't put towels on a bed and then both walk away but if one stays it shows you are going to be using the bed and not just chair hogging it .

Just wondering as I remember your posts about your trauma in Gibralter , if Indy has restored your disappointment in royal , if I remember rightly you were considering never cruising with royal again ? Apart from the sun bed issue did you have a good cruise ?

Linda .

I think having to claim a sun bed because there is a lack of them is always going to raise the very issue we're talking about.

I also think its a shame you don't have the confidence in the sunbed situation to spend lunch time with your partner, I'm not that fussed about the bed when it comes to spending time with my spouse at lunch time.

You should not have to guard your sunbed when lunch time arrives.

The recent cruise returned from was booked a year or so back, and at full price, unlike all the last minute deals that are on the market now.

Every cruise we've done has been enjoyable, unfortunately the Gibraltar thing has never been pleasant when dealing with Rccl, that has everything to do with Rccl as oppose to what happened In Gib.

We have a B2B on AOTS in Nov/Dec, we have done that much cruising this last 3 or 4 years that together with the Gib experience, we are looking at doing other stuff now.

During the last 14 nights on Independence we have done an onboard spend of over $10,200, when we wanted a resolution from Rccl more to our liking last year, it was nothing to do with being hard up.

Now that we've stopped booking their rooms, they can count the cost, people can say it won't make any difference to the Rccl bottom line, you won't find a bank manager or shareholder saying the same thing.

Independence is a great looking ship, the RCCL higherachy are the ones who've messed it up, when they are selling 14 night med cruises for £699 due to a lack of buyers, then it's time to think about the ones they let get away.

I do sympathise with your need to eat separately at lunch with the sunbed issue.

Hope you enjoy your cruising.

I HAVE NO PROBLEM of taking a towel off an obviously "Saved" pool chair and plopping myself down on it. Let me prefice this by, I observe first, then after about 20 minutes, I go into action. If (and when) the ofigianl offenders return, I simply say the pool attendant came and removed their towel. Now, if there are personal items, I am a little more reluctant, but on At Sea days, I can't stand people who get up at 9am, put their towel down and then leave. Been on TOO MANY cruises not to know what is going on.

IOS over XMAS BEWARE, I'LL BE WATCHING!!!

LOL you tell em now :cool:

Archived