!4 Day Round Trip Los Angeles to Alaska

mndctrl

My kind of cruise.

By the way - I don't understand why people will jump through hoops to avoid flying. True - the airplane is uncomfortable and crowded. True they treat you like a criminal at the airport. True the food on the plane is either non-existent or lousy. However, most flights are only a few hours long and the longest to Asian countries or to Australia are only maybe 13 hours long. Certainly better than multiple boring days at sea with no place to go or nothing to look at. Just my opinion.

DON

I live in Los Angeles. I just priced a 14 day New Zealand to Sydney cruise. The plane fare and overnights in either city with transfers to the ship cost considerably more that the actual cruise. I'd rather spend that money on a Princess ship going anywhere.

So I was off by 2 hours -

"LAX 10:55p → SYD 6:55a 15h 00m nonstop"

It does take less time coming the other way. I still feel that this beats staring at the ocean for 10 days on this cruise -

"13 day Crystal Crystal Symphony Los Angeles 6"

Again, just my opinion.

DON

This is one of those we each have our prefereence things. I would take a cruise rather than fly anytime it can be arranged. We did the b2b from Fll to Manaus and back and loved it. Did not cost alot more than a one way cruise and the extra flight. You like to fly, so go for it. Me, I'll take the ship anytime. Sea days are wonderful

LAX to SYD was 14 hours 30 minutes for us. It should not take 7.5 more hours from San Francisco.

Well maybe I "fibbed" about the flight time S.F. to Sidney, BUT the trip from our home in Sacramento to Sidney did take 22 hours. We had to fly to S.F. than sit around till midnight to board the flight to Sidney. From the time we left home until getting to the hotel in Australia 22 hours had passed and our brain was feeling like mush and it took us 3 days in Sidney to recuperate. So if you choose to fly there make sure you give your self 3 days in the city before starting your cruise. Unless you are still very young you will need the down time to enjoy your vacation,and visiting lovely Sidney for a couple of days is a must.

About 3 years ago we took this cruise on Celebrity and it was sooo nice not to have to fly while corraling your luggage. Would love for Princess to do this. Please Princess!!

We must have been on the same cruise. Was it the first cruise of the season? I agree it was great. did you get a glass of champagne as you got on the ship?

• 3 years later...

Count us in, would love that, maybe vary the ports in AK a bit, how about the area around Kenai ,and would like Victoria in there as well. Love sailing from LA, going on our 3rd LA Hawaii RT in a couple months. Love the sea days. We also do not enjoy flying anymore , like someone mentioned earlier, my DH is 6 ft ,5 in. And the airlines have priced the extra room seats so high,that it is just to much.

Not to mention the gauntlet you have to run at the airport, because DH is a big man he ALWAYS gets pulled aside for the second check.

So Princess if your seeing this, please consider it, think there is a market for it.

Cori

Alaska RT LA would be great. We could do Alaska again and visit family outside of LA. Maybe even get them to finally cruise with us :). Was hoping they would do Hawaii but they haven't committed, but Alaska is on their must see list :).

They wouldn't need to fly but we would do RT Boston no issue.

Love this idea hope Princess is listening.

Is there anyone besides me who would like a 14 day round trip from Los Angeles to Alaska? I have told someone at Princess at least 20 times, but it is not getting through to them.

I would love it!!!! I love sailing from LA, since it is within driving distance. I would definitely go. Might even take the kids.

Apparently a good idea never grows old. Note that this thread is more than three years old.

But Princess and others still haven't come through. There must be a good financial reason, but it seems to me with all the ships running out of Seattle and Vancouver, they could spare one to run the scenery-starved Angelinos up north.

Jim

Princess only had a few coastals to start with until they saw how wildly popular they are. Now, they've added a lot to the schedule. They should throw in a couple LA - Alaska voyages just to see how they do. If they interspersed 14 day LA/Alaska with 14 day Hawaii RT, I bet a lot of people would do both as a back to back. 28 days and you get both Hawaii and Alaska!

Fantastic idea!

Princess only had a few coastals to start with until they saw how wildly popular they are. Now, they've added a lot to the schedule. They should throw in a couple LA - Alaska voyages just to see how they do. If they interspersed 14 day LA/Alaska with 14 day Hawaii RT, I bet a lot of people would do both as a back to back. 28 days and you get both Hawaii and Alaska!

That's a yes from us!! :D

We did the round-trip LA to Alaska on Celebrity Mercury about 4 years ago.It was a 12 day cruise and we hit some of the Alaska ports.I,too,wish Princess would do that itinerary.Since they have 10 day San Francisco,they could easily have 12 or 14 day Los Angeles,with more ports.

We did the 19 day Panama Canal a few years ago.One of the head people we were talking to said it was a money loser for them as it attracts mainly older people who don't drink or gamble much.That is how they make their money.I see the 19 day they are offering again is quite expensive.

Apparently a good idea never grows old. Note that this thread is more than three years old.

But Princess and others still haven't come through. There must be a good financial reason, but it seems to me with all the ships running out of Seattle and Vancouver, they could spare one to run the scenery-starved Angelinos up north.

Jim

10 years 20 years.....wishes never fade.

I doubt one would ever see more then the current 10 dayer.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Always follow the money. Demand is one factor but the biggest factor is how much Princess can charge for one itinerary vs. another. It's all about profits. :) Like the others, I'd love to go on a R/T cruise from LA to Alaska, even if it only got to Glacier Bay and Ketchikan.

The 19-day R/T to the Panama Canal from LA 11/16/16 is going to be a winner. We've got a great group already booked.

Let's add something REALLY exciting to this LA based cruise and sail on from Alaska to HAWAII, then return to Los Angeles!!!! Pam, Wouldn't you prefer this to the Panama Canal itinerary. Hope you don't mind my suggesting it, because it should take about the same amount of time and cost the same.

Always follow the money. Demand is one factor but the biggest factor is how much Princess can charge for one itinerary vs. another. It's all about profits.

I would think the demand would determine how much Princess can charge and therefore its profit. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot else for Southern California cruisers to spend their money on during the summer.

I guess two 7-day Seattle RTs could bring in more profit than one 14-day L.A. RT, but right now, who's getting the L.A. cruise dollar? No one.

Jim

The problem is they either have to homeport an Alaska ship in LA for the entire Alaska season, or do it very early or late in the season. Otherwise you have the awkward repositioning hops on either end, because the ship can't sail one-way to/from Whittier. So you have to build in LA to Vancouver and vice versa on either end of the 14-day LA RT Alaska.

We did the round-trip LA to Alaska on Celebrity Mercury about 4 years ago.It was a 12 day cruise and we hit some of the Alaska ports.I,too,wish Princess would do that itinerary.Since they have 10 day San Francisco,they could easily have 12 or 14 day Los Angeles,with more ports.

We did the 19 day Panama Canal a few years ago.One of the head people we were talking to said it was a money loser for them as it attracts mainly older people who don't drink or gamble much.That is how they make their money.I see the 19 day they are offering again is quite expensive.

We're booked on the November 2016 Panama Canal r/t out of LA. MUST remember to drink and gamble a lot to keep Princess happy! ;)