Security and Implanted Medical Device

MSSQRL

I have an implanted medical device that I'm pretty sure will set off the metal detectors. I haven't traveled anywhere since I had it put in. Does anyone know how security will handle the situation?

I am not sure what they would do.... I imagine it would be the same as like in the airport. Since this is the first time you are travleing, do you think it would be possible to get a letter from your doctor about it?

Sometimes we will give letters to our pacemaker patients that travel...the letter also shows the model and serial number of the device too. Just a thought!

What Type Of Implant? Knee Replacement??? Or The Like??? Or For Your Heart? My Advice Would Be If It Was A Heart Device- Ask To Be Patted Down Rather Than Go Thru The Metal Detector. Knee Or Hip Replacements Will Alarm, They Check To See Why You Alarmed With A Hand Held Metal Detector. Know Problem.

It is an implanted pump that delivers constant medication to the nerve endings in my spine. I had shingles and suffer from post herpetic neuralgia. It is implanted in my abdoman. I wear a medical alert bracelet and I have a computer printout that basically tells what's in the pump.

My son has a metal plate and screws in his back. He carries a letter from his doctor and they still ask him to walk thru security gate. Then they hand wand the area. If it is a pacemaker, they can hand wand you. They are pretty good at most airports about understanding.

Norma

hey sorry to hear about that!! I dont think the pump will be affected. I do agree though that I would be a little nerve racked about going through security for the first time! I wonder if you can call TSA in advance and ask them what to expect.

Hope you have a blast on your cruise!

I can tell you all about it :rolleyes: I have a defibrillator,at the airport I wait in line and tell them when I am at the front of the the line that I have a defibrillator and I am taken to the side door and get patted down by a female. At the port I tell them and I walk around and they again pat me down. It is annoyingly slow but no other choice, I have a card from the defibrillator company but they never ask to see it.

When I get back on the ship there is a sign stating it is safe to go thru with

defibrillator, so I just walk thru:)

Hope this helps

I can tell you all about it :rolleyes: I have a defibrillator,at the airport I wait in line and tell them when I am at the front of the the line that I have a defibrillator and I am taken to the side door and get patted down by a female. At the port I tell them and I walk around and they again pat me down. It is annoyingly slow but no other choice, I have a card from the defibrillator company but they never ask to see it.

When I get back on the ship there is a sign stating it is safe to go thru with

defibrillator, so I just walk thru:)

Hope this helps

We are driving to Tampa, so no airport.:) I've only been on one cruise and I don't remember at exactly what point we went through the metal detector but I do remember going past several different security personnel. Where do you tell them about your defibrillator? Do you have to go through the same process at each port when you get back on the ship? Do they pat you down because going through the metal detector would cause harm to your defibrillator or do they pat you down because the alarm sounds?

We are driving to Tampa, so no airport.:) I've only been on one cruise and I don't remember at exactly what point we went through the metal detector but I do remember going past several different security personnel. Where do you tell them about your defibrillator? Do you have to go through the same process at each port when you get back on the ship? Do they pat you down because going through the metal detector would cause harm to your defibrillator or do they pat you down because the alarm sounds?

I tell them right before I get to the part of the line, when you go thru the metal detector. Yes, every time I get on the ship:( .There is a chance going thru the detector could cause my defibrillator to fire :eek: so I do not want to take a chance.

I tell them right before I get to the part of the line, when you go thru the metal detector. Yes, every time I get on the ship:( .There is a chance going thru the detector could cause my defibrillator to fire :eek: so I do not want to take a chance.

oh goodness no!! You do not want it to fire!! Have you ever had it fire on you before? I work in the Cardiology dept at the VA hospital and I hear when that thing fires it feels like a bolt of lightnign hitting you!

Guest Time2gocruzn

My mother has an artificial knee. It set off the detectors at both airports. She informed the lady of it and they just took her aside, scanned her with the hand held thing and patted her down a bit. Didn't take long or hold us up at all. She did not carry a letter from the DR as we figured this was a pretty common thing (joint replacements). Maybe you could get a letter from your DR just incase, but I bet you won't need it :).

I work for the TSA and we don't ask or care about a letter. All you have to do is tell the ticket checker that you have an implant and they will bypass the WTMD and give you a pst-down. You can even ask for a private screening if you would like to be felt up in pirvate!!! :-)

If I am detained for a more thorough search, will DH be allowed to wait on me, or will he be wist on through?

If I am with my children they let them stand off to the side,my DH goes ahead and waits for me on the other side.:)

I'm pretty sure my pump will set off the alarm on the metal detector. I was just concerned about how security would handle it. I will make sure I have my information card in hand just in case and although I would rather fly than drive, I'm glad I won't be going through the airport.:eek:

Tell them before you step in so they are not surprised and then I am sure you will be wanded and or patted down. I am never wanded as this can cause the defibrillator to fire.:(

And yes when it fires it feels like a kick in the chest, I usually can tell it is coming so I sit down.but once in the supermarket I just laid across the coveyer belt,:eek: I would rather not fall down from the shock

I have an implanted medical device that I'm pretty sure will set off the metal detectors. I haven't traveled anywhere since I had it put in. Does anyone know how security will handle the situation?

My father has had both of his hips replaced....his surgeon gave him a card for security/travel purposes - it resembles a credit card - and has an x-ray picture of one metal hip & explains to security (or whoever reads it) what they are dealing with and what is setting off their alarms.

Regardless of that card, though, my dad is 80 years old and still gets pulled to the side and is completely searched - shoes off, carry-ons opened and everything. :mad:

I doubt seriously that any note from your doctor will help....chances are they won't care to see it....they'll search you anyway....but it wouldn't hurt to have it just in case.

Good luck but allow a few extra minutes to get through!

My husband has suffered many breaks in his racing career. He has a couple of screws in his wrist that have never set any security screening alarms off. 10 months ago, he shattered both his lower legs and ankles. His leg x-rays resemble a harware store. Our cruise this Sunday will be the first travelling we have done since his accident. The doctor doesn't seem to think he will have a problem. His comment was that if there is a question, they will see his obvious incision scars. I have been a little concerned, but after reading here, it sounds like he is correct. We will just be patient and cooperative. I am confident that we will board smoothly.

What kind of racing does your husband do? My husband is a race FANATIC!

We leave on the Miracle on the 22nd and this will be my first travel experience since implanting the pump. I'm understandably a little nervous, but I'm sure everything will be fine. I agree, we too shall leave a little extra time. And, I think I will let DH handle the carryons so at least if I get searched, there won't be much to search. I guess I could wear one of those little belly shirts so they could see my scar. But, oh wait, I might get arrested for being indecent in public;)

My father has had both of his hips replaced....his surgeon gave him a card for security/travel purposes - it resembles a credit card - and has an x-ray picture of one metal hip & explains to security (or whoever reads it) what they are dealing with and what is setting off their alarms.

Regardless of that card, though, my dad is 80 years old and still gets pulled to the side and is completely searched - shoes off, carry-ons opened and everything. :mad:

I doubt seriously that any note from your doctor will help....chances are they won't care to see it....they'll search you anyway....but it wouldn't hurt to have it just in case.

Good luck but allow a few extra minutes to get through!

Hmmm. My wife had a toe joint replaced with titanium (I think!) They gave her one of those cards, too. I remember we first thought they had made a mistake. The X-Ray on the card was a left foot, my wife's joint was right foot. It took us a few minutes to realize that it was a generic picture! :)

Sad (I guess, don't know how easy it is to get those cards...) that they will still insist on the full search.

You need to get a letter/statement from your Dr. It MUST be on the Drs. Letterhead. My Dr's office gave me one automatically after my neck surgery so that'd I'd have it. I woudn't have even thought about it. The strange part is, sometimes I set off security and sometimes I dont', figure that one out.

Archived