what can i expect?

we3k9

I have my two Aunts booked in a cabin. One aunt has travel insurance and the other does not. My aunt with the insurance is canceling the cruise due to her spouses illness. what will happen now? will the other aunt be able to cruise as a single in the cabin? we are less than 30 days out. they booked the past guest rate.

It depends on the insurance of the aunt who cancelled. The aunt left in the cabin will now probably have to pay double .. .. too bad the aunt had to leave the other aunt in the lurch. Usually its better to no show rather than have the person left be billed more to go on the cruise.

Let us know the details of the insurance .. some insurance will cover the single supplement for the remaining pax, some wouldnt. It all depends on the insurance.

its CSA travel protection. i have not notified the travel agent or the insurance company yet. I am trying to get some advice before i make a move. i read on here that i can substitute another guest for a $50 name change fee, Im not sure if that will be an option, i would have to recruit someone else to go.

I believe that the aunt without insurance will have to pay the single supplement. If she had trip insurance, she most likely would not have had any additional expenses due to her roommate cancelling for a covered reason.

Can that aunt find anyone to go with her? Even if she had to pay part of someone else's expenses, it might not cost as much as sailing alone.

I just read your other post. Please read the details of her trip insurance policy right away!

It probably requires her to notify them right away if she needs to cancel and to actually cancel the cruise promptly. The cruise line's cancellation penalty varies based on how far off the cruise is. If she delays notification and the cancellation penalty increases, she may receive less reimbursement from the insurance company.

I'm a bit confused. Why would YOU have to find a substitute person?

The other poster said the aunt left the other one in the lurch. I disagree. It is not her fault that the other person chose not to purchase insurance.

I am the one handling everything for this trip, I am the one who paid everyones way. My aunts are both elderly and get confused easily. we are dealing with a travel agent who is out of the office. can not notify carnival directly. i have left messages for 2 days for our travel agent on her voicemail. i fear she wont call me back till monday. aunt number one knew her husband was terminally ill when she booked, however she thought he had alot more time than he does, now she is having 2nd thoughts on leaving him to go on the cruise. aunt number 2 has very little money, thats why im treating her.

This happened with my Mother and my Sister I always get insurance for my Mother but my sister never does. My Mother got sick and had to cancel her trip on the Cruise, when we notified the insurance they paid my Mother for here trip and allowed my sister to go in the same cabin without any additional cost. We were told that it has nothing to do with the Cruise line as they got paid in full for the cabin. So I would suggest call the insurance and discuss it with them that is what Insurance is for.

thanks, i have been doing some reading, used the search thread and found alot of post about this same thing. the majority say that its best to be a no show and the other person does not get charged the solo fare. and as long as we call the insurance company before the ship sails, we should have no problem getting reimbursed for my aunts fare with the doctors letter. so thats what we will most likely do, unless i find anothe person to take her place, i will then pay the $50 name change fee.

thanks, i have been doing some reading, used the search thread and found alot of post about this same thing. the majority say that its best to be a no show and the other person does not get charged the solo fare. and as long as we call the insurance company before the ship sails, we should have no problem getting reimbursed for my aunts fare with the doctors letter. so thats what we will most likely do, unless i find anothe person to take her place, i will then pay the $50 name change fee.

Don't rely on what you've read here! Every insurance policy is different and most have state exceptions so people will have different claim experiences even with the same policy.

I don't understand why they didn't both have trip insurance since they knew of the one spouses health status.

Don't rely on what you've read here! Every insurance policy is different and most have state exceptions so people will have different claim experiences even with the same policy.

I don't understand why they didn't both have trip insurance since they knew of the one spouses health status.

they both did not have trip insurance because i did not purchase it for aunt number 2, i only purchased for aunt number 1 because of aunt number 1's health, she was the one i was worried about, she was having back pain issues and was going to have surgery. turns out she is fine and just getting shots in her back.

she never told me that my uncle was terminally ill. they live 2 states away.

I dont think that back in march or april she was aware how serious his liver disease illness was. she made no mention of it to me. therefore i only purchase insurance for her due to her back pain problems.

aunt number 2 is in very good health. and she wont be traveling alone, me and my mom are booked in another cabin.

I just wanted to say my thoughts go out to you and your aunt(s). Dealing with a terminally ill spouse is rough. I hope it all works out for you.

thank you so very much, you are very kind.

But will aunt 1 want to go by herself?

she wont be on the cruise alone, just in the cabin alone. me and mom are going on this cruise booked in the cabin two doors down.

I'm a bit confused. In one post you said YOU paid. Was it you or did you pay and they reimbursed you? If you paid, it might be difficult to straighten things out with insurance. If you paid, the cabin is paid anyway, so aunt can travel solo, or see if you can get a roomie with the $50 name change (and perhaps offer half the cabin at a reduced rate to someone so it wouldn't be a total financial loss to you) I don't understand how a "no show" could be reimbursed.

I'm a bit confused. In one post you said YOU paid. Was it you or did you pay and they reimbursed you? If you paid, it might be difficult to straighten things out with insurance. If you paid, the cabin is paid anyway, so aunt can travel solo, or see if you can get a roomie with the $50 name change (and perhaps offer half the cabin at a reduced rate to someone so it wouldn't be a total financial loss to you) I don't understand how a "no show" could be reimbursed.

I paid, I made the travel arrangements and paid for it, as a gift to them.

the cruise line wont be reimbursing, the insurance will be paying a claim.

and you are correct, most likely they will send the check to my aunt who may or may not return the money to me.

most likely she will apply it to a new cruise, like the one i have booked in january with my Mom. she was not going to be included on that one, but now she most likely will be.

its CSA travel protection. i have not notified the travel agent or the insurance company yet. I am trying to get some advice before i make a move. i read on here that i can substitute another guest for a $50 name change fee, Im not sure if that will be an option, i would have to recruit someone else to go.

I dont know if you said in another thread what RATE you booked as that would determine if you can or cannot.

pack n go and ES, no name changes.

any other rate I can think of, yes for $50 you can do a name substitution.

what rate are they booked?

Again, we dont know what insurance was purchased, so it could go either way as far as the other aunt's solo supplement being picked up.

I dont know if you said in another thread what RATE you booked as that would determine if you can or cannot.

pack n go and ES, no name changes.

any other rate I can think of, yes for $50 you can do a name substitution.

what rate are they booked?

Again, we dont know what insurance was purchased, so it could go either way as far as the other aunt's solo supplement being picked up.

it is a past guest rate that was booked. and the insurance carrier is CSA and i have thoroughly looked at the policy that was emailed to me and there is no mention of travel companions solo supplement. only thing that it mentioned about traveling companion was that if you get sick while traveling the insurance would pay for the travel companion to be flown home early.

Traveling Companion Assistance

If a Traveling Companion loses previously-made travel

arrangements due to your medical emergency, the assistance

provider will arrange for your Traveling Companion’s return home

I paid, I made the travel arrangements and paid for it, as a gift to them.

the cruise line wont be reimbursing, the insurance will be paying a claim.

and you are correct, most likely they will send the check to my aunt who may or may not return the money to me.

most likely she will apply it to a new cruise, like the one i have booked in january with my Mom. she was not going to be included on that one, but now she most likely will be.

But can a claim be made because she's not going , without cancelling the cruise? I ask this because how will the insurance people verify her not going? How do they know she's ACTUALLY not on the cruise, but asking for payback (and stillon the cruise if it's not cancelled)?

It seems you could get someone to take over the cabin ...reimburse you...

since it is not early saver

and do the name change....that way you don't even have to get the insurance involved and you might lose a little but not the whole fare. Surely you have friends/relatives who could go with a good deal??

This is a real pickle....could you possibly buy insurance for the 2nd uninsured aunt at this late date to cover her??

JMO....I think you should make sure that you at least get the insurance money back from aunt number 1 in case YOU end up stuck with the solo supplement for aunt number 2...

I really hope this works out for you, sometimes it seems no good deed goes unpunished, I feel for you. Hope this works out ok....get hold of the travel agent and insurance company asap...hang in there

This happened with my Mother and my Sister I always get insurance for my Mother but my sister never does. My Mother got sick and had to cancel her trip on the Cruise, when we notified the insurance they paid my Mother for here trip and allowed my sister to go in the same cabin without any additional cost. We were told that it has nothing to do with the Cruise line as they got paid in full for the cabin. So I would suggest call the insurance and discuss it with them that is what Insurance is for.

This may have happened, I don't doubt your word. I'm confused as to why it happened that way though. I say this because some devious people could prearrange this with someone, get money back for a cruise they didn't intend to go on in order to allow a friend avoiding the solo supplement. Yes, it would take a really good friend to do this, but it COULD happen.

But can a claim be made because she's not going , without cancelling the cruise? I ask this because how will the insurance people verify her not going? How do they know she's ACTUALLY not on the cruise, but asking for payback (and stillon the cruise if it's not cancelled)?

I am trying to get ahold of our travel agent, she has not returned my calls, i think she is out of the office for a while.

I plan on calling the insurance company the day of the cruise,and reporting my aunt a cancelation. since we are in penalty now anyway with the cruise line i see no benefit in canceling any sooner than the day of. she will be a no show with the cruise line and the insurance will be notified before the ship sails. they can verify she is not on the cruise.

i will post the outcome once we get back. I am diligently trying to find someone to go with us, my husband is available but being stubborn and not wanting to go, he is done with traveling he said. everyone else has jobs and no time off, or other commitments.

I hope we dont lose the money, I also hope that we dont have to put any MORE MONEY out. but it was money already spent so im not crying about it. my aunt is the one who loses here, besides losing her spouse, she is losing a nice vacation she deserves to have.

Archived