Air Canada

ChicaChic

Can someone tell me what it is like to fly with Air Canada in economy? We will be going to FCO after our Equinox cruise in October. We are scheduled for an 11:30 flight into Toronto and then going to Houston on United. We will be using award tickets. The other choices that are offered are not good for us.

Can someone tell me what it is like to fly with Air Canada in economy? We will be going to FCO after our Equinox cruise in October. We are scheduled for an 11:30 flight into Toronto and then going to Houston on United. We will be using award tickets. The other choices that are offered are not good for us.

Myself and DW find that Air Canada itself is fine. It's the way you get treated by the staff both on board and on the ground . It's like the passenger is there them and not the airline (Air Canada) to serve you. Because in Canada we don't have many national airlines (two only) , Air Canada serves many of the smaller airports we are stuck with them.

There are probably people who will disagree with me about AC.

There are probably people who will disagree with me about AC.

:) , count us as dissenters to the above opinion. It seems to me that familiarity needs contempt. Americans seem to love to hate their carriers, Canadians love to hate AC. ;) We have flown thousands of miles coast to coast in Canada with AC. We have never been treated badly. We have also travelled on UA, AA, and Lufthansa. Most of our trips on AC are from Toronto to New Brunswick but many have been to Newfoundland and BC. They have many of the virtues and the drawbacks of any of the majors. Hope you will not mind the safety instructions in French and English. Other than that the differences are minor. The biggest pain will be clearing the USA Customs and Immigration IN Toronto. Have a safe flight.

We use Aeroplan points frequently. Be aware that if you booked on the Aeroplan web site there are sometimes more options that are quoted on that site. We usually try to get a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt. Good connections, and for us coming home means we land at noon instead of 6PM. Another good option for you might be to fly through Zurich and then change to a Swiss flight to FCO.

Aeroplan charges extra when you call and have and have the phone agent find you a good routing but we have found it to be worthwhile. More than once we have called, been given poor options and then we declined. We called back a week or two later and were successful.

We have been told that Lufthansa adds flights (dependent on having excess capacity) to the pool as you approach the departure date. We have found this to be true. Last time we paid a change fee to switch from A/C through London to LH through Frankfurt about a month prior to our departure date.

While we have no issue with A/C, we prefer them for Europe flights over US carriers, but we prefer some European carriers over both A/C and the US carriers.

Aeroplan can be a bit of a rip off on flights as they add a surcharge. It used to be only for AC flights but we are told it is now on all flights. Last time we checked Aeroplan wanted $600. per person in fees and surcharges for an open jaw return flight from Calgary. You may be able to avoid this, and get better flight options, by flying out of the US if this is a reasonable alternative for you. We are flying in Oct-we only need one way at this point but we were able to snag a flight to Portugal for $260. inclusive of all taxes. It is airtransat, not the greatest, but since the Aeroplan fees were high, and we needed an open return ticket it was a good alternative-and it is direct.

Aeroplan can be a bit of a rip off on flights as they add a surcharge. It used to be only for AC flights but we are told it is now on all flights. Last time we checked Aeroplan wanted $600. per person in fees and surcharges for an open jaw return flight from Calgary. You may be able to avoid this, and get better flight options, by flying out of the US if this is a reasonable alternative for you. We are flying in Oct-we only need one way at this point but we were able to snag a flight to Portugal for $260. inclusive of all taxes. It is airtransat, not the greatest, but since the Aeroplan fees were high, and we needed an open return ticket it was a good alternative-and it is direct.

Actually the surcharge is imposed by Air Canada, not Aeroplan. Even the surcharges on other airlines are handled by Air Canada, as the sneaky wording says "All surcharges are passed to the ticketing carrier", and Air Canada is the ticketing carrier for all Aeroplan tickets.

However, the one final straw for me is that Air Canada's fuel surcharge is so high, that in some cases it can actually exceed the per-seat total cost of the fuel. This has changed my opinion of AC from being sneaky, to being criminally fraudulent.

Thank you all for your imput. I am thinking of waiting to see if something better comes along. We already have a return flight on United, but I would change it if I can get a flight a little bit later than 11:15. Right now the choices being shown for the award flights are for 9:30 which we could not make, the 11:15 and with the star alliance carriers a 6:30am, one flight on Ethiopian Airlines which I know nothing about. I may just try out the Air Canada flight.

Thank you all for your imput. I am thinking of waiting to see if something better comes along. We already have a return flight on United, but I would change it if I can get a flight a little bit later than 11:15. Right now the choices being shown for the award flights are for 9:30 which we could not make, the 11:15 and with the star alliance carriers a 6:30am, one flight on Ethiopian Airlines which I know nothing about. I may just try out the Air Canada flight.

Rest easy. We just did a RT from DFW-Toronto-FCO for cruise on Mariner of the seas. First time on AC. Picked AC as one of the cheaper flights. Found economy seats to be a little roomier than on AA and a couple of other flights we've been on recently. Meals were quite nice and the movie selection and the screen is positioned perfectly for viewing. I usually get the scratched up screens and the buzzing sound so rarely use them. On our AC flights I found 2-3 good movies to watch. Also found the flight attendants pleasant and responsive. Have a wonderful trip!

There's nothing wrong with Air Canada - if you want some room - go in to Air Canada (pretending to book the flight) and see if there are preferred seats available. If there are, you can call Air Canada and get them. I believe they are $50 round trip for your flight (but i could be wrong). The seat is no bigger but there is a lot of leg room and it gives you some space and comfort.

Service on the plane can vary but all in all - it's ok (I prefer other airlines for Europe - but like you using my points - sometimes you have no choice).

I'd far rather book while I can find the seats and the route I like:) If I find something better later, I'll gladly pay the change fee - but these seats go quickly so best to get them while you can. Hope this helps a bit:)

Thank you everyone. I am going to book the Air Canada flight. The flying time is the same amount of hours and it gives me 20 extra minutes to get from the port to FCO than the United flight. I have arranged for an early pick up to the airport.

I second the suggestion to see about purchasing the premium seating. We flew exec 1st on AC to Buenos Aires nut could get an award seat in nix on the return after the cruise from Santiago. The $100 was wothr it. Our experience with the FAs in the back of the bus was nt nearly what it was in biz....which was disappointing, but who knows, "chicken or beef" lady may of just been having an off day. LOL. As long as she knew how to get me off the plane in an emergency I wasn't complaining.

I'm a Canadian and happen to love Air Canada. I'll choose it over a US carrier every time. For a start, the economy seats, on most flights, offer slightly more room.....maybe only an inch or so, but if you're not skinny and short, it makes a difference. Good on-flight services, and I've never had a problem with AC service either. It's not the best airline in the world, but I do think it's the best North American carrier. (And, FWIW, I've never traveled in a "preferred seat", since they're new and only on some routes.)

Well, I am not a Canadian, and I am not a fan of Air Canada. That said, they are really not much different than any other US carrier in coach.

have to disagree, I've flown many many times on AC and never had a bad flight even though I fly economy, always treated very well. Flown Delta to Europe - horrendous nightmare. Flown AA and US air and never been impressed with the way I am treated both at check in and on the flight. Will pick AC over any of the major carriers followed closely by BA

Terry

Well it looks good. I changed my return flight from United to Air Canada. I am getting 25,000 miles posted back to my award travel account, I was not charged for the change and I am getting a $2.00 refund on top of that.

Well it looks good. I changed my return flight from United to Air Canada. I am getting 25,000 miles posted back to my award travel account, I was not charged for the change and I am getting a $2.00 refund on top of that.

Good choice, I like Air Canada better than United....

Someone posted a recent trip report with photos:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/219340/

I am assuming you are transferring in Toronto; from a flight from the US to Rome. You follow the signs to international connections and into the transit area. Very fast and they automatically transfer the bags. Coming back you follow the signs to US connections (you may have to walk your bags through US customs) and go through US customs (instead of Canadian Customs) in Toronto. The US bound flight will then arrive at a domestic gate in the US.

Good choice, I like Air Canada better than United....

Someone posted a recent trip report with photos:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/219340/

I am assuming you are transferring in Toronto; from a flight from the US to Rome. You follow the signs to international connections and into the transit area. Very fast and they automatically transfer the bags. Coming back you follow the signs to US connections (you may have to walk your bags through US customs) and go through US customs (instead of Canadian Customs) in Toronto. The US bound flight will then arrive at a domestic gate in the US.

We are on a flight with Lufthansa to Rome and then the return flight is with Air Canada to Toronto and then to Houston with Air Canada. I enjoyed the trip report. Thanks

I have been flying with Air Canada for over 30 years and have never had a problem with them. My last two flights with AC were to Rome and Zurich and the service was excellent, the food edible, and free alcoholic drinks. The flight attendants came around on a regular basis with water so that you couldn't dehydrated and were very pleasant. The flights also departed on time and arrived early. I also use AC for flights to Florida and have also been satisfied with the service.

The OP is going on "award miles" so this is not important to them, but twice now we've flown to Europe and it was cheaper to fly NY to Montreal, connect and fly to Europe than it was to fly any airline direct from JFK or Newark. It was well worth the 2 hr connecting time to save the $$$ we saved. Also, connecting to a US bound flight after arriving from Europe made customs a breeze. There were 6 or 8 of us doing this and we had a separate customs area as opposed to everyone else whose flight was terminating in Canada.

The OP is going on "award miles" so this is not important to them, but twice now we've flown to Europe and it was cheaper to fly NY to Montreal, connect and fly to Europe than it was to fly any airline direct from JFK or Newark. It was well worth the 2 hr connecting time to save the $$$ we saved. Also, connecting to a US bound flight after arriving from Europe made customs a breeze. There were 6 or 8 of us doing this and we had a separate customs area as opposed to everyone else whose flight was terminating in Canada.

The funny thing is is that it's also usually cheaper to fly from the US to Canada and then on to Europe than it is to fly Canada to Europe on the same flight. While you may fly from NYC to connect in Montreal, there are people in Montreal who fly to NYC and then catch the same NYC-YUL-Europe flight you did, and still save money LOL.

but twice now we've flown to Europe and it was cheaper to fly NY to Montreal, connect and fly to Europe than it was to fly any airline direct from JFK or Newark.

Direct non-stops are always usually more expensive than non-direct flights. Matter (and price) of convenience.

I know.....and I never priced it out, but I wonder if I paid less flying NY/Montreal/Paris than the folks who was just flying Montreal/Paris, as that portion of the flight was a direct non-stop? Interesting.......and on another note.....I want to go to a conference in Atlanta. It costs more to fly to Atlanta than it does to fly to Florida.............BUT I HAVE TO CHANGE PLANES IN ATLANTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go figure!!!!!!!

I want to go to a conference in Atlanta. It costs more to fly to Atlanta than it does to fly to Florida.............BUT I HAVE TO CHANGE PLANES IN ATLANTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go figure!!!!!!!

Because you are buying a ticket from New York to Atlanta. Not a ticket from New York to Florida. Just because it goes VIA Atlanta doesn't make it a ticket to Atlanta PLUS a ticket ATL-Florida.

There is a difference between tickets THROUGH a hub and tickets TO a hub.

Tickets are most often based on the specific market conditions between the origin and destination, NOT as a cumulative addition of segment A plus segment B.

(For the industry vets - Of course, there are times when an end-on-end fare construction is lower than a simple published fare. I'm talking about the vast majority of cases.)

Archived