anyone see celbrities while cruising

iiiisx349

In the late 1970s, I met Caren Kaye on a Greek island cruise. I believe the ship was the Aquarius. She had been in the sitcoms "Blansky's Beauties" and "The Betty White Show," and she told me that she had filmed an upcoming episode of "Fantasy Island" in which she played twins.

NCL used to have sports-themed cruises, and I went on two basketballl cruises and met the basketball players and referees, but I'm not sure if they count as celebrities. Ahmad Rashad and his wife Felicia were on one of those cruises, and I met him while he was covering a basketball event, and I met her in an elevator. (She said hello to me before I had a chance to say hello to her.)

Yes...over the years, several. NCL had Phyllis Diller on the "Norway" and while on the QE2 (a LONG time ago, there was The Captain and Tenille and also on Cunard we met Maxine Andrews of the Andrew Sisters and Bert Bachrach and Carol Bayer Singer. I apologize for name spellings. They were all entertaining on the cruise but mingled very nicely with the passengers when they were not entertaining.

I haven't seen any, but apparently John Travolta was on a RCI ship.

*snort*

I met Bill Bryson onboard the QE2, as well as two space shuttle astronauts, whose names, I'm embarrassed to admit, I don't recall off the top of my head.

I also met Elizabeth Taylor once at a social event, but that wasn't on a ship -- I just felt it was important to share, as she was great fun. She was totally charming, friendly, and very, very funny.

My friend swears she saw Larry the Cable Guy--even spoke to him--but I'm not so sure. Having grown up in southern California I've seen my share of celebrities, but none on a cruise ship.

Come to think of it, I think I have met many Cable Guys. Forgot if they were all Larry. On at least one flight I had a close approximation sitting next to me in his seat and half of mine.

We became friendly with Jim Valvano (the late hoops coach) on the old NCL Norway. Jim was traveling with his wife and young daughter who was the same age as our daughter and one thing led to another and a friendship was born. Sadly, only a short time later Jim was diagnosed with the cancer that led to his too early death.

We learned that being a well known celebrity on a ship can be a real pain. Jim could not sit anywhere (except in his suite) for more then a few minutes before somebody would stop for an autograph or to talk basketball. No matter what he was doing he always took the time to say nice things to anyone that interrupted his vacation. A true class act.

Hank

Several celebrities frequent the luxury cruise lines. They generally like to be left alone to enjoy their vacation and are allowed to do so on these smaller cruise ships. I would think that the majority of big celebrities simply charter a yacht -- complete with crew. It must be nice but a bit lonely.:confused:

totally agree with you Travelcat but this cruise with Bill was interesting from the fact that he said he was not Bill Murray and had never heard of him. He said he was from Canada and was a film professor ??? and never heard of him???. He was one of our tablemates and the rest of us just shook our heads and didn't mention it after the first night.

When we cruised on the Mariner of the Seas in 2009, The Nelson Brothers (Matthew & Gunnar) were on board. They did a tribute performance to their dad, Ricky Nelson. They were on the cruise all week, and actually were very accessible. It was great to meet them, and their show was wonderful.

Archived