LIVE: Allure Western 7/1-7/8/12 with SilentBob007 and family

We're finally here. The flight was a sauna for about the first hour we were on it. It landed at about 12:45, but we didn't have our bags until 1:15. One very confused cabbie and hard-to-find hotel later we are finally checked in an in the room at 2 AM. Ugh. HERE!

Hi Bob this is Al I sailed with you and your family on the Freedom of the Sea last October. Looking forward to your live review of the Allure. I will be boarding her in 12 weeks.

I probably missed it but did you tell us what hotel you are spending the night in?

Hi Bob this is Al I sailed with you and your family on the Freedom of the Sea last October. Looking forward to your live review of the Allure. I will be boarding her in 12 weeks.

I probably missed it but did you tell us what hotel you are spending the night in?

Hi Al. Actually, I hadn't said yet. I was just looking for a place for us to rest our heads given the late arrival, so I booked the Hyatt Place Airport North. Normally getting here wouldn't be a problem as they have a free airport shuttle, but of course we came in too late to use it. Our cab driver had no idea, so he put it into his GPS which was going to take us in the wrong direction. I ended up trying to direct us using Google Maps on my iPhone, though we had trouble finding the right side road that the hotel was on (you have to turn by the Outback). The cab ended up costing $20 because of our search ... probably should have been $11-15.

Now you've scared me :eek: I have been cruising out of Florida, regardless of itinerary, because we can drive there. We finally decided to give flying to the port a try and booked cruises out of Baltimore and San Juan. But you are about three hours from being on my absolute favorite ship and I'm sure I will get over it just as soon as you describe that first roast beef sandwich.

Hi Bob. Harold here, I also sailed with you on the Freedom last year and Al sent me here to follow your "Live" reports. I'll be sailing with Al in Sept. On the Allure eastern route. Looking forward to your reports. Be safe and have a great cruise! :)

Hi Harold ... it's like a reunion in here. :)

As for the hotel, the room itself isn't bad, though it appears the hotel is going through renovation as the carpets in the hallway are a bit mussed up. The room is fairly spacious with a living area and a bedroom, though like all old Amerisuites, the bathroom is incredibly small ... except for the fact that there's a tub, it makes me feel like we're on a ship already. There is free wifi at least ... perhaps that makes up for the zero water pressure. ;) The laborious process of four people taking care of their morning routines is nearing completion, then we will be heading down for a quick, free breakfast before deciding how early we want to head over to the Allure.

7478664330_a5e8f8a712.jpg

Hyatt Place Airport North by cmong, on Flickr

I asked the hotel about getting to the ship. They evidently offer a shuttle for $7/pp ... so no way I'm going to pay that with four of us. I'm guessing it should be a $10 taxi ride (but I guess we'll see).

But hey ... I can see the Allure from here! :)

7478662246_a0b8b99cc3.jpg

Ship's in by cmong, on Flickr

Have a wonderful cruise. We are booked for next May and look forward to your review. Let us know the differences between Allure and Oasis. We sailed Oasis with you last year. I can't wait to see Chicago.

Alison and Dave

My DH and I are on your sailing also....:D

Hi Al. Actually, I hadn't said yet. I was just looking for a place for us to rest our heads given the late arrival, so I booked the Hyatt Place Airport North. Normally getting here wouldn't be a problem as they have a free airport shuttle, but of course we came in too late to use it. Our cab driver had no idea, so he put it into his GPS which was going to take us in the wrong direction. I ended up trying to direct us using Google Maps on my iPhone, though we had trouble finding the right side road that the hotel was on (you have to turn by the Outback). The cab ended up costing $20 because of our search ... probably should have been $11-15.

My you must be excited and a liitle tired..The folks there at the Hyatt we have found to be pretty nice. Wonder if the cab driver was new. That is a pretty popular hotel with cruisers. Do take the taxi...well then again you will need two, with luggage? That will run more than the shuttle. Cant wait to read more....Jan

We ended up getting upgraded to boardwalk balconies that were about 4 cabins apart on deck 11. We changed them to two boardwalk balconies next to each other (but not connecting) on deck 12.

Just curious about upgrades? When, where and how to they go about offering you an upgrade? Is it when your at the check in desk? (u ask, they offer?)

Or is it because of your C&A status D+?

Seen many posts about upgrades and wondering if we're missing out lol

E.

Just curious about upgrades? When, where and how to they go about offering you an upgrade? Is it when your at the check in desk? (u ask, they offer?)

Or is it because of your C&A status D+?

Seen many posts about upgrades and wondering if we're missing out lol

E.

I'm not sure about this one. We booked guarantee cabins and had no idea what we would get until they were assigned (ie, on our reservation, it went from "Interior Stateroom Guarantee" to "Boardwalk Balcony XXXX"). It could have been C&A status, or it may have just been the revenue department. When we booked, Boardwalk Balconies were running about $1900/pp and I'm guessing that not too many people were willing to pay that (considering a JS GTY was $1800).

I've been upgraded a couple of times and they have all been when I've booked guaranteed cabins. Though ... many more times I've been assigned the exact cabin category I booked the guarantee in. They may call for upgrades, but I think if you ask (or call them), then you'd have to pay for any upgrade they may offer.

I have my iPad playing some Tom Petty ... my traditional "sitting in the hotel and waiting to go to the ship" song ... The waiting, is the hardest part ..... ;)

My plans for after check-in are slightly complicated. I want to go up to Park Cafe to eat lunch right when we get on the ship. Then I want to head to Studio B to see about show tickets, go to the MDR to see about our MTD reservations, then head to Giovanni's Table to see about a reservation tonight. Hopefully after that stuff is done, the cabins will be open ... but then it will be time to explore (and take pictures). :)

I believe we are throwing our bathing suits into our carry-ons in case we want to swim or get on the flow-rider. My dad and niece are also making sure they wear laced shoes so that they can get on the zip-line without having to wait for bags to arrive (and hoping the line is thus shorter).

Think i'll ask my TA, who just happens to be my sister inlaw the next time we book.

Sure in the past though she has waved us off the guarantee cabin bookings, or maybe thats just us being picky about cabin location! lol, DW not happy unless its a balcony and at best on the bumps, now though we have moved to a JS since our last cruise last year which was for my 40th. But now that sh'e seen and enjoyed theres no going back if i want to keep her happy lol. Do enjoy the tub though for the DD whos only 2 just now.

Thanks for your response and i hope the weather is great along with the vacation.

E.

lucky you to get a balcony on an inside guarantee! thank you for the review, I'm enjoying it! One day my guarantee will turn into something better! I am D+, but I always end up with what the guarantee is. oh well, the price is right!

Hi...we met a few years ago on the Mariner out of LA. If I remember correctly you were with your mom and your name is Chris. :)

Anyway, glad all the airline and hotel travel mishaps are behind you!!

Now onto a great week of cruising and time with your family.

Congrats on a great upgrade!!! Hope you and your family have a great cruise!!

Hi Bob and family, you are probaly on Allure now!!! :D We will be on her in seven weeks - Aug. 19 - :eek: I just counted!!!!!! ;) Looking forward to your review with photos. Glad your flight went well and you are hopefully now relaxing. I will be following you this week, enjoy!!!

Archived