LIVE: Allure Western 7/1-7/8/12 with SilentBob007 and family

A few notes here … first of all, I think it is incredibly cheap that you can pay almost $100 for a one hour tour on the cruise line’s private destination, but then they want $8 for a locker to store your stuff. I don’t care if you can have it for “the whole day” … give people a secure place to put their stuff while on your tour on your island.

Wow! That locker was $3.50 back in 2008 when you had to tender and going back and forth to the ship was a pain.

Day 6: Cozumel

perhaps I’ve just been jaded. Not too give away too much, the tree scene, rock scene, and water scenes were all memorable.

Tangent: I really hate it when people don’t know how to act at shows. I suppose that since they are not paying admission, some people feel they have free reign to chat, make derisive comments, and generally be rude. We sat in front of about 3 adults managing what seemed like 10 little kids, all of whom wanted to scream and talk during the show. My dad heard someone making nasty comments about the performers for the entire time. Others insist on using their camera flash after being told not too (which not only distracts the cast but is annoying to other audience members).

The rock scene was one of my big dissapointments on my cruise and I'm hoping for redemption next year. I used to love the trampoline as a kid and I've seen some video of the performers on this trampoline and really looked forward to that part of the show. For some reason, they drug out the rock, crawled all over it and never used it :eek: I'm in complete agreement about the flash. In some instances it could be dangerous for the performers when poeple flash. Some people with the point and shoots don't know how to shut off their flashes.

This shot was done without flash.

tree.jpg

Most definitely not ... just got to the hotel after picking up the rental car. It was an hour to get off the ship and through customs. The rental car bus was completely full to the point where there was no standing space left.

I'll remember that. The week Bin Laden was killed we walked off the ship and 2 minutes later were on the curb in the cab.

Silent Bob,

Let me pile on with the thanks for the review. I know how much work it is and I'll never do one until after I get home! But thanks for yours. I am making some notes on how to do mine better next time (I'm actually planning my review of a cruise that is 290 days away :o. I hope you didn't have to beat off to many young men after that niece of yours. As a father of a pretty young lady I think I can say she is quite attractive without sounding creepy

Great review Chris.

I will be traveling with friends who for some reason are putting the Promenade parades high on there list of things to do while on the cruise. Do you remember the day and times of the parades.

I have Reviewed some old compasses but they don't show any parades.

On your cruise when they did occur were the times published in your daily compasses?

Great review Chris.

I will be traveling with friends who for some reason are putting the Promenade parades high on there list of things to do while on the cruise. Do you remember the day and times of the parades.

I have Reviewed some old compasses but they don't show any parades.

On your cruise when they did occur were the times published in your daily compasses?

I'll let Bob answer for Oasis Western, but just a hint if you want to keep looking at those Compasses- they are referred to a " street parties" or " dance events" sometimes instead of "parade". I had a hard time finding them too. On Eastern itinerary, we didn't have any interest in going,( so I was just trying to find them to avoid the Promenade,) but I recall they were usually held in the late afternoon on sea days (4-5 PM)

Silent Bob,

Let me pile on with the thanks for the review. I know how much work it is and I'll never do one until after I get home! But thanks for yours. I am making some notes on how to do mine better next time (I'm actually planning my review of a cruise that is 290 days away :o. I hope you didn't have to beat off to many young men after that niece of yours. As a father of a pretty young lady I think I can say she is quite attractive without sounding creepy

I think she made plenty of friends. It's amazing how much Facebook has changed things in terms of remaining in contact with people ... the first thing she did once she got an internet connection at home was connect with her cruise girl friends and join in their search for some of the Brazilian guys they met. :eek:

Which ship were you on? Full suite guests (GS and above) should be able to get a bridge tour arranged through the concierge if there is one on your ship. There is the "All Access" tour that costs $150 as well.

I was a little surprised there was not a suite/D+/Pinnacle party on the helipad during sailaway from Labadee. Is that only an Oasis thing? Or did they can the C&A member?

I was on the Allure during the same time. We saw the party on the helipad during the sailaway from Labadee, but didn't know who it was for. The guest were taking pictures with Shrek.

Any idea why you docked the wrong way around? That could explain why they are a bit slow, everyone is lining up on the wrong side! I had fun following your cruise this week, well done!

They docked on the port side because they were doing work on the ship-per the Cruise Director.

I have to laugh...the Grandpapa who is a gazillionaire and worried about kidnappers in the articles and pictures you posted had welcome signs on their doors....."Eljuri Family Cruise 2012"...there were 4-5 suites on our floor with those signs on the doors. So much for keeping a low profile.

Hey, I saw those posters on 2 doors on our floor (14th). My mother and I were wonderering about the "Eljuri Family Cruise 2012" doors. Thanks for answering my questions.

There was a redheaded young woman, a cruiser, on the standup Flowrider, who was amazing. My son just said she was showing off as he had nowhere near her skills. AND upon leaving FLL, we saw a house with a FLOWRIDER IN THEIR BACK YARD!!! We decided this was her house.

Those people who own that house actually have sailed on Allure last year.

They docked on the port side because they were doing work on the ship-per the Cruise Director.

I don't think they were setup for it either. We exited through a crew stairway. I also forgot to turn in our evaluations (didn't see a box on the way out ... though I may have missed it). :(

Did you enjoy the Mariott Harbor Beach? How does it compare with the Renaissance (if you have stayed there)? My husband has reward points and we are trying to figure out which Mariott to stay at pre-cruise. We stayed at the Reniassance two years ago before our Oasis cruise and it was just fine. We arrived really late on Friday night, before our last cruise, so we just needed a place to stay. This time, assuming we can get an early enough flight, we plan on having most of the day to enjoy FLL, so having the beach might be nice. We appreaciate any input.

I thought that the Marriott Harbor Beach was nice, though I had a few issues. Most of my issues, though, were because of the fact that we had four people in a room with two double beds, no couch, and were not eligible to get a roll-away. I also thought that the room and hallway was a tad "musty" but then you can get that in tropical settings.

I've not stayed at the Renaissance, but I'm guessing it just depends on how you want to spend your day. The Marriott is on the beach and has a very nice pool area. The beach is nice, though while they give you free towels and loungers, you have to pay if you want an umbrella or a cabana. I'd say that the Marriott is also a bit more isolated ... if you want to walk a bit, you can get off the complex and get to restaurants, etc, but I don't think you'd have the options like if you stayed downtown. Of course, everything in the Marriott is also pricey in terms of food, Starbucks, or internet for the room.

Again ... if you want beach and/or pool access on a fairly well-kept property with comfortable rooms (as long as it's just two), then it'd be hard to go wrong with the Marriott. It just depends on what you are looking for. :)

I don't think they were setup for it either. We exited through a crew stairway. I also forgot to turn in our evaluations (didn't see a box on the way out ... though I may have missed it). :(

I guess they weren't prepared. The box for the surveys were located in the customer service area. They removed the Cruise Director Comments sign. Thanks for the wonderful review.

I have a photo of that house and the Flowrider in my Oasis review...there was a guy riding it when we sailed away! I joked at the time with the people on our roll call at sail away that he must have seen it on the ship passing by one day and just looked it up in his " billionaires" catalog and ordered one;)

Interesting! Can you provide the link to your review and the picture?

Interesting! Can you provide the link to your review and the picture?

Don't have my computer here, or I'd post it again for you, but you can find it here, post # 9

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1539995

Its in the port side shortly after leaving the beach hotel strip...there was actually someone riding it when my DH took this.

I see "Silent Dad" in your t-shirt picture. We sailed with him on the Radiance repo this past April. Tell him that the Cruise Wizard said hello!!!!!

<Waving to Gary!!!> Hi, Cruise Wizard!

I was just thinking it was nice to see SilentMom and SilentDad in the pictures, too! (I was also on the Radiance from Australia to Hawaii in April.)

Thanks for this GREAT review, SilentBob. I am traveling with my parents and 14-year-old nephew on the Oasis in late November, so this is enormously helpful as our experience will be much like yours.

Tracy

Archived