Free Internet eliminated from all suites

jmcross

If Princess advertised unlimited Internet with a full suite as part of their advertising campaign to book a suite, and if you've paid for your cruise already, then Princess should honor this.

I don't think anyone was saying that a suite that is already paid for shouldn't get the internet they were told they would have. What I was saying is that it is in fact a perk. They are not required to give you any freebies just because you book a suite. Does it suck? Yes it does. Is it disappointing? Yup. As far as sharing. Well, it probably has nothing to do with this particular scenario, but from what I read on here people are always scheming. As long as that goes on, regardless, cuts will always be made to make up for money they lose in other ways.

I have never had a suite so this change doesn't affect me. In saying this, I don't believe that Princess should be able to make changes to what is included in any stateroom after it has been booked. I'm sure when people are making the decision to book a suite, it is definitely based on the perks that comes with it. It doesn't matter if they can afford to pay for internet or not, Princess should not be able to do this. All they had to do was say that any bookings after June 27th, free internet will not be included.

I think the people that abuse the system might be the people that are upgraded free. Not those of us who are paying for them.

Several times I have heard people say (in a large group of friends) "we have free internet, so let me know when you want to use it." same with laundry. They are so thrilled to be upgraded that they offer the perks to their friends.

Look at how many upgraded people ask here about brings friends to different functions, etc.

Exactly what I thought!

I believe they have been. I have both called and faxed them.

This last comment by TheBestIsYetToCome describes exactly why we were so ticked off by this change. I am sailing on one cruise in 5 days with our adult daughter and in less than 2 months with my DH. Obviously we have paid for both cruises and for us internet is important for work reasons. Irrespective of that, we bought and paid for something which has now been switched. We have another booked for the fall of next year and since we have not paid for it except for a deposit, I don't have a problem with Princess announcing a change of policy for future cruises. But for those who have paid in full already, I believe that Princess should honor the contract they made with us.

When I called Princess this afternoon and spoke with a customer service supervisor I was told that "Upper Management was considering the decision."

Ann;

I agree. I paid off our Hawaii cruise (Mar 2013) back in March of this year. I think if you've paid for something you should recieve it. To take something away after, is not very fair and shows a lack of carring.

Bob

You know, I find all of this a bunch of claptrap. Some people book insides and others book suites. If we choose to book a suite for whatever reason, that's our business and no one else's whether it be a once in a lifetime cruise or because we go once a year or because we like a bigger cabin. The reality is that Princess advertised that when booked and paid for a suite we would get unlimited internet. What we want to use it for is no ones business but our own. Perhaps some of you won't agree, but if you purchase a car and you pay in full and you are supposed to get a spare tire or a rebate and the dealer then tells you "No we've changed the rules, you don't get that" perhaps you'd be upset. Well, that's how we feel. We have a cruise booked for 14 months from now (no, we don't go 4 or 5 times a year) and if Princess wants to change the rules before we have paid in full, I understand that and have the option to change my plans accordingly. Like the person who has air, pre-cruise and post-cruise arrangements booked so do we. To change all that w/i the final payment period is costly. I still believe this is a very poor business practice.

Well said Ann.....:):):)

Bob

First, this thread is a classic.

Second, Does anyone know for sure when the suite perks list was changed to exclude unlimited wireless internet for suites and was amended to include unlimited internet at internet cafe and specifically not wireless? We do know that it was at least as far back as last November.

That said, any suite that was booked before the perk list had changed, whenever that was, should still get the unlimited free wireless use.

According to that list, you still get unlimited free internet..You just have to use a computer in the internet cafe.. I could not find any reference to it on the current list.

JMHO.

ps if no one books the several still vacant suites on my upcoming grand med cruise perhaps they will give me a free upgrade from the mini suite? I won't complain even without the free WiFi. :D

Giving away a free night, especially the first night, in a specialty restaraunt as a tradeoff for $100's of dollars in internet usage is a pretty good trade from the bottom line's point of view.

If Princess is paying for the data transfer, even in bulk, the suite pricing may not have kept up with data hungry tablets, smartphones and laptops that are kept constantly on. Couple of hundred dollars here, couple of hundred dollars there, for 20+ suites. Now we're talking real cash...but on the other hand the suites almost always sell out first, so demand is relatively high and pricing stable, and I doubt much of it will hinge on free internet. They probably are rolling the same dice... the change will not discourage many people and they will save a nice chunk of change.

I'm not defending their position, and I most certainly expect more cuts to come in the next few years, but I can understand it from their point of view.

I personally think this may not be a good tradeoff for those who fly across the country/world and arrive on embarkation day. Too worn out by jet lag to want to go to the CG or Sabatinis. Just my two cents.....

Bob

You know, I find all of this a bunch of claptrap. Some people book insides and others book suites. If we choose to book a suite for whatever reason, that's our business and no one else's whether it be a once in a lifetime cruise or because we go once a year or because we like a bigger cabin. The reality is that Princess advertised that when booked and paid for a suite we would get unlimited internet. What we want to use it for is no ones business but our own. Perhaps some of you won't agree, but if you purchase a car and you pay in full and you are supposed to get a spare tire or a rebate and the dealer then tells you "No we've changed the rules, you don't get that" perhaps you'd be upset. Well, that's how we feel. We have a cruise booked for 14 months from now (no, we don't go 4 or 5 times a year) and if Princess wants to change the rules before we have paid in full, I understand that and have the option to change my plans accordingly. Like the person who has air, pre-cruise and post-cruise arrangements booked so do we. To change all that w/i the final payment period is costly. I still believe this is a very poor business practice.

I agree with you. It doesn't matter what you need the internet for, it was promoted at the time you purchased your cruise, therefore Princess should not be able to take it away now.

I personally think this may not be a good tradeoff for those who fly across the country/world and arrive on embarkation day. Too worn out by jet lag to want to go to the CG or Sabatinis. Just my two cents.....

Bob

Sounds as though you don't even go to the dining room to eat dinner that night. Just collapse in bed and use the internet. :D

No.

In time order:

Princess listed suite benefits to include free internet only in the Internet Cafe

Princess issued a new list which then included the fact that free internet was both in the internet Cafe and with wi-fi

Princess issued a newer list which eliminates the wi-fi benefit entirely

At no point was a list issued saying Internet Cafe and wi-fi that was superceded by a list saying only in the Internet Cafe.

Maybe you can flesh this out a bit more, but according to the original post in this thread (13 lines up from the bottom), it looks as if the current implementation of the policy was laid out in November. I'm not saying that you are wrong because I have not followed this issue. But the policy set forth in the OP seems pretty unambiguous.

I don't think anyone was saying that a suite that is already paid for shouldn't get the internet they were told they would have. What I was saying is that it is in fact a perk.

It is not a perk. It is a component of the Princess Suite cruise product and marketed and sold as such. TAs are still out there selling the suite product touting complimentary unlimited access when booking a suite because they have not been advised by Princess of the change. Princess can change their product any time they want, it is how this change has been implemented that has people upset. There has been no communication to customers or TAs currently holding suite reservations regarding the change. It was only discovered because a new flyer on the Princess.com site was published touting the additional components of the suite product and the complimentary internet was missing from that flyer. From comments made by those currently on board in suites, it appears that it is not yet being enforced.

Second, Does anyone know for sure when the suite perks list was changed to exclude unlimited wireless internet for suites and was amended to include unlimited internet at internet cafe and specifically not wireless? We do know that it was at least as far back as last November.

The supervisor I spoke with on Friday morning stated the change was made two weeks ago. Ironically, on the Princess website, under FAQ Cruise answer place, if you look under Stateroom Amenities, it still lists complimentary internet access both in the internet Cafe as well as via WiFi (was pointed out to Princess when discussing the issue):

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

Full suite passengers also enjoy complimentary web access in the Internet Café and via wi-fi, laundry and dry cleaning, use of the Lotus Spa® Thermal Suite (on select ships), one-time free mini-bar setup and use of our Disembarkation Lounge.

Not getting the complimentary internet is not going to ruin our cruise, and yes, we'll be getting free minutes due to our Captain's Circle status. What disappoints us is how the change has been implemented and will be something we consider when planning our next cruise.

It is not a perk. It is a component of the Princess Suite cruise product and marketed and sold as such. TAs are still out there selling the suite product touting complimentary unlimited access when booking a suite because they have not been advised by Princess of the change. Princess can change their product any time they want, it is how this change has been implemented that has people upset. There has been no communication to customers or TAs currently holding suite reservations regarding the change. It was only discovered because a new flyer on the Princess.com site was published touting the additional components of the suite product and the complimentary internet was missing from that flyer. From comments made by those currently on board in suites, it appears that it is not yet being enforced.

The supervisor I spoke with on Friday morning stated the change was made two weeks ago. Ironically, on the Princess website, under FAQ Cruise answer place, if you look under Stateroom Amenities, it still lists complimentary internet access both in the internet Cafe as well as via WiFi (was pointed out to Princess when discussing the issue):

Full suite passengers also enjoy complimentary web access in the Internet Café and via wi-fi, laundry and dry cleaning, use of the Lotus Spa® Thermal Suite (on select ships), one-time free mini-bar setup and use of our Disembarkation Lounge.

Not getting the complimentary internet is not going to ruin our cruise, and yes, we'll be getting free minutes due to our Captain's Circle status. What disappoints us is how the change has been implemented and will be something we consider when planning our next cruise.

I find myself in total agreement with this Auburn fan but don't let any of my kin or friends know please! :D

Having paid in full for our cruise in September I expect to have Internet service included as part of my amenities in my suite as that is what was presented to me at the time of booking with Princess. It's a matter of principle and customer service.

Roll Tide Roll!

Bob

Well said Woobstr. I am not happy about this. My first cruse on Princess and I was counting on this as I have to stay in contact with my office. At worst they should give suite passengers a certain amount of time like they do Elites. I spent a lot of money for my suite and one of things I was taking into consideration was the free internet. Really upset about this. Shame on Princess.

Sounds as though you don't even go to the dining room to eat dinner that night. Just collapse in bed and use the internet. :D

Nope;

I was just stating a personal opinion, as we are allowed to on CC, on my thoughts about long distince travelers.....:rolleyes:

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Skype is blocked on most Princess ships.

Nope--not true at all. They neck down the connection, but it is still allowed, unless they've changed it since May.

Small detail, but the Spring, 2012 edition of the Cruise Answer Book did not include wi-fi.

"Full suite passengers also enjoy complimentary web access in the Internet Cafe, laundry and professional cleaning services, use of the Lotus Spa® Thermal Suite (on select ships), one-time free mini-bar setup and use of our Disembarkation Lounge."

Nope--not true at all. They neck down the connection, but it is still allowed, unless they've changed it since May.
It depends on the ship, itinerary and probably, IT person. While it may be allowed on some ships, it's blocked on most. So you're both right. Or wrong. Take your pick.

In time order:

Princess listed suite benefits to include free internet only in the Internet Cafe The November letter in the original post was a rehash of the benefits as they had been before wi-fi was introduced. For several years after wi-fi existed on the ships, suite passengers could also use that as part of the benefit. But as often happens, the web site and letters like the November one did not have up-to-date information. Also, you should note that the November letter did not mention the Sabatini's breakfast which had also existed for a while.

Princess issued a new list which then included the fact that free internet was both in the internet Cafe and with wi-fi. The new list was also in the last quarter of the year and was more accurate. It included (among many other items):

Breakfast in Sabatini's with complimentary "Good Morning Mimosa"

Complimentary Internet (WIFI and ship's Internet Café)

Free glass of champagne at special events (note: I have never seen anybody post that they experienced this benefit)

Princess issued a newer list which eliminates the wi-fi benefit entirely. This was the list issued recently. People noticed the absense of the Internet benefit, but when suite passengers reported they still had that perk, it was assumed this was another inaccurate list. Until now, when it turns out the list is accurate as far as Internet is concerned.

Maybe you can flesh this out a bit more, but according to the original post in this thread (13 lines up from the bottom), it looks as if the current implementation of the policy was laid out in November. I'm not saying that you are wrong because I have not followed this issue. But the policy set forth in the OP seems pretty unambiguous.

I hope that fleshing out above helps.

The November list in post #1 does not reflect the new policy as there is no Internet benefit for suites now even in the Internet Cafe. It also did not reflect the policy in effect from (before) November until June as that time period included unlimited access in the Internet Cafe and via wi-fi.

First, this thread is a classic.

The November list was a reissue of inaccurate information that had been on the Princess web site for a year or more. It was not a change that removed wi-fi from the benefit.

There were numerous threads here on Cruise Critic where people asked about the wi-fi and the responses were always that it was included even through what was posted on the web site said it was not.

If you want to consider the November list as being an accurate listing of the suite benefits, then also note the absence of the breakfast at Sabatini's benefit. If the November list was accurate, then the Sabatini's breakfast would no longer exist.

I can't believe how many problems this is causing. I wonder how many responders actually stay in suites.

Yes, Princess is removing some of the features but look how fuel costs have gone up and fares haven't even though they have the option to do it.

I have enjoyed the free internet in a suite but that was not my reason for takingn it.

Where the heck in the Passenger Contract does it state that Suite passengers get free internet????? Please post the verbiage from the actual Passenger Contract that we all receive' date=' not the separate PDF on the Princess website. Thanks.[/quote']

And, where the heck in the Passenger Contract does it state that passengers in any cabin will get a bed?

Now that is just silly and this the reason I don't post very often.

It may be silly, but the point is the same. You pointed out the contract does not mention free internet for suite passengers. I pointed out that it also does not mention beds for passengers in any type of cabin.

Interestingly enough, the new list does mention "Select Grand Suites also feature personal computer,wet bar and fireplace".

I guess the select grand suites have a personal computer for decoration purposes now.

Archived