Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

3 hours ago, nikkiw60 said:

The fabric is thick, smooth with a very slight sheen but easy to sew. 

I have bought some nice linen at one of our port stops.

What I love about the fabric, besides the gorgeous coral color, is it looks like it would never, ever wrinkle!

I am going to start by asking here for feedback from fellow sewists (I guess we aren't sewers anymore).  Linen, linen blends, rayon.  I am in the throes of trying to convert at least my summer wardrobe to  a Lagenlook (loose fitting layered) style with these fabrics....but haven't completed many yet.  I have a Dubai to Venice cruise next April/May (3 weeks), and given the conservative dress in the Middle East, I think the longer loose tunics with pants or skirts under them would be good choices both for social compliance as a solo woman wandering the ports, and because it will be really hot!  With no irons allowed on board, do you bother to take items out of these fabrics? Just accept the wrinkles? Or iron them all night before cruise and carry in a garment bag?  I haven't determined whether I will be doing a week in Europe first or after the cruise, but will at least have an overnight in Dubai prior to embarkation.  I tend to do carry on only, but with 3 weeks, I'll need to expand to a carry on wheelie and a backpack (if sleeping in Venice, I need to be mobile to get around).  MSC has a semi reasonable laundry package and I hear they do pretty well with linens, but I am cheap and may not have enough items for it's new '40 garments all in one shot' rule.  I have no clue if they can be hand washed, hung to dry wet and be wearable at the end.

Any words of wisdom, or should I forget the plan altogether?

2 hours ago, mef_57 said:

I am going to start by asking here for feedback from fellow sewists (I guess we aren't sewers anymore).  Linen, linen blends, rayon.  I am in the throes of trying to convert at least my summer wardrobe to  a Lagenlook (loose fitting layered) style with these fabrics....but haven't completed many yet.  I have a Dubai to Venice cruise next April/May (3 weeks), and given the conservative dress in the Middle East, I think the longer loose tunics with pants or skirts under them would be good choices both for social compliance as a solo woman wandering the ports, and because it will be really hot!  With no irons allowed on board, do you bother to take items out of these fabrics? Just accept the wrinkles? Or iron them all night before cruise and carry in a garment bag?  I haven't determined whether I will be doing a week in Europe first or after the cruise, but will at least have an overnight in Dubai prior to embarkation.  I tend to do carry on only, but with 3 weeks, I'll need to expand to a carry on wheelie and a backpack (if sleeping in Venice, I need to be mobile to get around).  MSC has a semi reasonable laundry package and I hear they do pretty well with linens, but I am cheap and may not have enough items for it's new '40 garments all in one shot' rule.  I have no clue if they can be hand washed, hung to dry wet and be wearable at the end.

Any words of wisdom, or should I forget the plan altogether?

Take a small empty spray bottle with you. When I unpack, I spritz all our clothes and smooth out the wrinkles before hanging up.  I do this again, as needed through the cruise.

On the other hand, I suggest you think of using chiffon fabrics, too, as the looser tops do not wrinkle.  Spraying them when I unpack helps.  Also, I made myself vee-neck, short sleeved camisoles to wear under my chiffon tops; made with the lightest chiffon I could find.  One in black, and one in white.  They add a modesty layer, but are literally invisible under the tops.  Keep everything loose fitting.

Another thing I did was go to Walmart and buy two of the thinnest bras I could find with good support and no padding.  A padded bra is like wrapping yourself in a cotton bandage in hot weather, IMO!

2 hours ago, pcur said:

Take a small empty spray bottle with you. When I unpack, I spritz all our clothes and smooth out the wrinkles before hanging up.  I do this again, as needed through the cruise.

On the other hand, I suggest you think of using chiffon fabrics, too, as the looser tops do not wrinkle.  Spraying them when I unpack helps.  Also, I made myself vee-neck, short sleeved camisoles to wear under my chiffon tops; made with the lightest chiffon I could find.  One in black, and one in white.  They add a modesty layer, but are literally invisible under the tops.  Keep everything loose fitting.

Another thing I did was go to Walmart and buy two of the thinnest bras I could find with good support and no padding.  A padded bra is like wrapping yourself in a cotton bandage in hot weather, IMO!

Spray bottle sounds like it could come in handy. Thanks.

I find artificial hot in summer particularly with another layer. It would take a special print to not appear sheer....another Muslim no no. For home, I make a loose rayon sleeveless top to go under  some chiffon tops. I have some sitting in my sewing room, but would still prefer to take the linen pieces. Chiffon is good for shipwear, however.

When I choose a fabric, I crunch a handful of the fabric up in my hand tightly, and then let it go.  Then I look at it to see how wrinkled it is.  If the fabric is wrinkled, I don't buy it.

Also to get wrinkles out of you outfits, hang them in the bathroom, when taking a shower.  The steam should help get the wrinkles out.

6 hours ago, geocruiser said:

When I choose a fabric, I crunch a handful of the fabric up in my hand tightly, and then let it go.  Then I look at it to see how wrinkled it is.  If the fabric is wrinkled, I don't buy it.

Also to get wrinkles out of you outfits, hang them in the bathroom, when taking a shower.  The steam should help get the wrinkles out.

That's myfabric test too. Both the newest fabric have a good recovery.  sadly, the shower method never seems to work at home. Maybe it will be better in the much smaller cabin toilet space. Thanks.

4 hours ago, mef_57 said:

That's myfabric test too. Both the newest fabric have a good recovery.  sadly, the shower method never seems to work at home. Maybe it will be better in the much smaller cabin toilet space. Thanks.

I gave up on the shower steam thing when I switched to the spray bottle.  I tried it again on my last cruise and it still didn't work well.  I think applying the water directly to the fabric just works better for our clothes.  I put blouses and shirts on the bed and smooth them with my hands, then hang them up.  The dampness in the closet seems to create enough humidity that the garments are usually wrinkle-free by the time we wear them.  I'm not soaking them, by any means, just a good spritz, smoothing, and hang them up.

Edited by pcur

On 6/1/2019 at 2:11 PM, pcur said:

What I love about the fabric, besides the gorgeous coral color, is it looks like it would never, ever wrinkle!

Sorry for not replying but real life and work reappeared.. the fabric has a very slight crease after sewing. But the main thing is iron it on the reverse and use a damp cloth! I got a slight melty mark on the inside. 

I will buy more of this though. 

Btw for anyone on a Med cruise if you stop in Palermo there is a street in the market area full of fabric shops... disclaimer.. we were on a food walking tour so didn’t actually go in any...

I just finished going through all my fabric.  I had four 13 gallon trash bags of fabric, that I did not want any more.  Most cuts were 3 yards or more.  I looked at the fabric and said to myself "what was I thinking"?.  This morning I brought the fabric to it's new home.  I gave it to a friend who both she and her 15 year old grand daughter sew a lot.  They were thrilled.

Now I am sorting out what I have left and putting it into plastic bins.  At least now I can see what I have and will use what I have (I hope).

Sew, my question to all of you is,: Do you over buy fabric and have a big (I will use it some day pile of fabric)? Or do you buy fabric as you sew?

I buy fabric as I sew, because I am usually looking for something specific, or using the fabric to alter an existing garment.  However, even doing that I save left over scraps.  We women are genetically programmed to "gather", so sometimes it's with fabric, or shoes, or clothes (in my case) from Ebay that I alter.

7 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Sew, my question to all of you is,: Do you over buy fabric and have a big (I will use it some day pile of fabric)? Or do you buy fabric as you sew?

A combination. I buy for specific projects that I never get done. Therefore, big stash.

9 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I just finished going through all my fabric.  I had four 13 gallon trash bags of fabric, that I did not want any more.  Most cuts were 3 yards or more.  I looked at the fabric and said to myself "what was I thinking"?.  This morning I brought the fabric to it's new home.  I gave it to a friend who both she and her 15 year old grand daughter sew a lot.  They were thrilled.

Now I am sorting out what I have left and putting it into plastic bins.  At least now I can see what I have and will use what I have (I hope).

I used to purchase fabric that just sat in the closet along with the left overs from items I completed. I have long ago given away all those “what was I thinking “ purchases and almost all of the left over pieces. I don’t think I had as many bags to give away but I do hope someone else made good use of all of it.  Now days my machine is used for simple repairs and alterations so no need for a fabric stash.

That said, I don’t think we are in the minority. I am guessing that many have a “stash” of items for their hobbies-sewing, knitting, etc, you name it. It’s a good day when you can find a new home for things you no longer want.

Sharon

9 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

A combination. I buy for specific projects that I never get done. Therefore, big stash.

I am like PurpleHays. Spring is when I get the clothing sewing urge, so I go buy fabric. I make up one or two items, but then garden calls and summer rolls in with its heat and humidity. Despite AC, my sewing room becomes too hot for sewing. So no Summer sewing. Autumn is again garden busy and Winter tends to be quilt sewing....so fabric builds up. Add a much larger quilt fabric stash and I (may) have a larger stash than I can sew in my lifetime.

When I retire, I will either start sewing it up, or purge it. Maybe by then I will also be done the knitting stash I knit for charity.

This weekend I worked with a new pattern.  This is resort wear for our next cruise in September.  Since it is a bra-less dress, I added Super Power Mesh (80/20) into the lining.  This did the trick to secure my chest.  I also added 3 inches to the torso and skirt. The next one I make will have additional loops in the back and longer straps.  I forgot to take the longer torso into consideration when sewing the pieces together.

Lisa

0121DB8A-8B88-424B-9538-6A92D6E86FA9.jpeg

277B15E8-B3D0-46F9-B954-D2E621C6D71A.jpeg

• Like 3

I now see that I am not the only sewer with a stash.  Glad to hear that all of you are are fabric gathers too.

Today I brought some more smaller type bins for the fabric.  They are they are 17.25 by 15.25 by 7 inches,.  they really hold a lot.  I am using them on the top two shelves of the fabric closet.  If I use bigger bins, they are too heavy to get up and down.

8 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

This weekend I worked with a new pattern.  This is resort wear for our next cruise in September.  Since it is a bra-less dress, I added Super Power Mesh (80/20) into the lining.  This did the trick to secure my chest.  I also added 3 inches to the torso and skirt. The next one I make will have additional loops in the back and longer straps.  I forgot to take the longer torso into consideration when sewing the pieces together.

Lisa

Lisa,

What a beautiful job you did on the dress.  I love the pattern.  How hard was it to make the back ties?  Did you use a fast turner to make the cord?

4 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Lisa,

What a beautiful job you did on the dress.  I love the pattern.  How hard was it to make the back ties?  Did you use a fast turner to make the cord?

Cord was cut 1.25"x48", serged, and used my new fast turner.  I love that tool.  The ties were basted in place before I serged the top pieces together.  

Lisa

11 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

Cord was cut 1.25"x48", serged, and used my new fast turner.  I love that tool.  The ties were basted in place before I serged the top pieces together.  

Lisa

I just love the fast turner tool.  I have had mine for many years and use it a lot.  Mine came with 6 different size turners.  I brought mine at the Viking store.

I finally made up my mind on a coverstitch machine last weekend and ordered the Janome 1000CPX.  It came with the narrow elastic gather attachment and the wide elastic gather attachment.  I splurged and bought the tape binder attachment too.  The new machine arrived on Monday and I am looking forward to experimenting with it this evening.  I have been coaching rowing after work every evening this week, so today I finally can play with the new machine. 

For those that are newer to this thread, I sew knits and not wovens.  Maybe some day I will venture into wovens, but they kind of freak me out.  I have made workout clothes, swimwear, and regular clothing.  I am in love with making pencil skirts and can whip those out quickly.  This Summer I am focusing on swimwear and resort style clothing. 

Oh, and my fabric stash is quite scary.  I buy fabric that I love and then figure out what to make later.  The fabric for the dress I made over the weekend has been in my stash for 2 years.  I finally found the right pattern for it.  Yes, I have a fabric hoarding issue.  :)

Lisa

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

Pencil Skirts that I made Memorial Day Weekend:

These are wonderful.  I am impressed you got 6, not 1 made over a long weekend.  That might be the benefit of knits vs wovens.  For that kind of hang, you pretty much need to line wovens, so you might get 2 done on a long weekend.  You do have the skills to do wovens, however.  If you can afford the time to do some exploratory sewing, you could get a sheet or linen tablecloth for very few dollars but good amount of yardage and try a woven skirt out of the same pattern.  You can serge the edges prior to stitching the seams and even get away with double needle hemming. Go on, give it a try😉

In the meantime, have fun with the new tool.

Beautiful skirts! You have a good eye for fabric. I have sewed for many years and my old Bernina is still going strong, although these days just fixing and altering things. I have no idea what a cover stitch machine is let alone what to do with it but I will look forward to seeing your creations.

Sharon

On 6/11/2019 at 7:33 AM, RedHeadTexan said:

Lisa

Gorgeous looking dress. May I ask about the pattern? I would not have to add to the top (short waisted) but may need/want length in the skirt (all of my height is in my legs!)  Thinking this would be good for sea days instead of wearing shorts. Dresses can be squished for packing and easily  rinsed in the bathroom sink and hung to dry.