Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

We are building a house, so I was doing some purging and packing for the storage unit. Found a treasure trove.

When DH and I went on our first cruise together in 2010, I tried to make a Vogue pattern dress. I made it by the measurements closest to mine. It went together pretty easy (except for the ^(^%^( zipper) so I just knew there was a problem. There was, it was huge on me and hung off. I don't know how to tailor, so I threw it into a box in disgust. Found it today, along with *extra* fabric. I have a seamstress friend (D)now who can probably salvage it for me. Yipee! I also found fabric for a casual knit dress. I love me some casual dresses in the summer. D and I may be spending a lot of time together in January before our cruise...

Now I have to tackle the nursing assignment that I got a two week bye on. Anyone want to write about nursing theorists for me? :rolleyes:

We are building a house, so I was doing some purging and packing for the storage unit. Found a treasure trove.

When DH and I went on our first cruise together in 2010, I tried to make a Vogue pattern dress. I made it by the measurements closest to mine. It went together pretty easy (except for the ^(^%^( zipper) so I just knew there was a problem. There was, it was huge on me and hung off. I don't know how to tailor, so I threw it into a box in disgust. Found it today, along with *extra* fabric. I have a seamstress friend (D)now who can probably salvage it for me. Yipee! I also found fabric for a casual knit dress. I love me some casual dresses in the summer. D and I may be spending a lot of time together in January before our cruise...

Now I have to tackle the nursing assignment that I got a two week bye on. Anyone want to write about nursing theorists for me? :rolleyes:

Great sewing finds in your house. People say first place to shop is in your closet.

Writing college papers. I can remember that. I got my degree when I was in my late forty's. Happy that I did it. But a lot of work.

Edited by geocruiser

Writing college papers. I can remember that. I got my degree when I was in my late forty's. Happy that I did it. But a lot of work.

Three hours to write the first part. Nearly 1000 words. It's really difficult because I work in the operating room and most nursing theorists use nurse-patient interaction roles. Not so much in the OR. ;) We prefer our patients asleep.

Edited by PurpleHays

• 2 weeks later...

I used to sew a lot but haven't in awhile. Now I want to get back to it and start a new wardrobe. With that in mind I am in need of a new sewing machine. My history is I started with a Brother which was a piece of....well you get the picture. Then I bought a Kenmore which I have had for over 25 years. Love that machine but it is old and not running well anymore. So started shopping and totally overwhelmed with all the new features. Can anyone recommend a medium price machine preferably made in the USA?

Chris

I used to sew a lot but haven't in awhile. Now I want to get back to it and start a new wardrobe. With that in mind I am in need of a new sewing machine. My history is I started with a Brother which was a piece of....well you get the picture. Then I bought a Kenmore which I have had for over 25 years. Love that machine but it is old and not running well anymore. So started shopping and totally overwhelmed with all the new features. Can anyone recommend a medium price machine preferably made in the USA?

Chris

I like Viking machines. I think that they are easy to use. The sew beautifully. Viking has all different price ranges to fit what you want.

http://new.husqvarnaviking.com/en-US/Machines

Make sure that you get to sew on the machine before you buy. That way to get the feel of it. I all way sew on what I am going to buy. Not just a few stitches, But I will bring something that I am working on at home and do some of it in the store.

In the past I have had Singer & Kenmore which I was not happy with.

Edited by geocruiser

Thanks. Will check them out. Unfortunately don't have any projects going at this time to take to try out machine. And my old machine is so unreliable, I don't want to start anything new on it. The closest Viking dealer is about 25 miles from me so will plan a trip to check the out.

Chris

Thanks. Will check them out. Unfortunately don't have any projects going at this time to take to try out machine. And my old machine is so unreliable, I don't want to start anything new on it. The closest Viking dealer is about 25 miles from me so will plan a trip to check the out.

Chris

Sewing machines are so personal to pick out. What one person loves the other hates. I have five viking machines, four sewing and one serger. I also have a white serger. I am a snow bird and have some in each home. I have had great luck. My two oldest one are 17 year old, then 15 years, one year old and four months old. The first four I have had not one bit of trouble. The last one I brought (the diamond) runs beautiful. But there was a little odor of maybe oil by the thread tension. Well, I told them about it and they had me bring the machine in. They call the district manager and she had the machine sent back to their head quarters (just not the repair man). I was told by management that if there is something wrong it will be fix or I will get a new machine. I just love the machine and it was working fine, ,but they want to check it out. I have gotten great service from them. The woman working there help me with so much sewing. Their service means a lot to me.

So, beside the machine I would look for a dealer that gives great service.

After months of research, I finally bought a serger today. I went to the mom and pop sewing and fabric store nearby to check out the Baby Lock sergers. I wanted to take a few for a test drive and see how they compared to other machines. Well, I fell in love with them of course. The auto thread feeder was the bomb! My favorite model was the Imagine. I decided to ask if they had any trade-in's for sale since the Imagine was wayyyyyy over my budget. As luck would have it, they did! The previous owner bought it a couple of years ago from this store and decided to upgrade last week. The machine is in superb condition and I got it for almost 1/2 off the price of a new one. I am a very happy camper and proud owner of a Baby Lock Imagine!!!! :D

Lisa

After months of research, I finally bought a serger today. I went to the mom and pop sewing and fabric store nearby to check out the Baby Lock sergers. I wanted to take a few for a test drive and see how they compared to other machines. Well, I fell in love with them of course. The auto thread feeder was the bomb! My favorite model was the Imagine. I decided to ask if they had any trade-in's for sale since the Imagine was wayyyyyy over my budget. As luck would have it, they did! The previous owner bought it a couple of years ago from this store and decided to upgrade last week. The machine is in superb condition and I got it for almost 1/2 off the price of a new one. I am a very happy camper and proud owner of a Baby Lock Imagine!!!! :D

Lisa

Congratulation on buying a serger. The auto thread sounds great. I just love my sergers. It just makes a finished seam so quick and neat.

I am still lookings for my new machine. What Iraq the advantages of a serger? Not sure I need that but maybe I do. Have looked around but salespeople are not very knowledgable or just too busy to help. I think it is the time of year that makes help difficult to fine. We are going to ride to the a irking store after Christmas and talked to them. I like the idea of the auto threader as my eyes are not that good. I also have always made lousy buttonholes which has limited some of my sewing but I saw a machine that you put the button in the special foot and it makes all the adjustments for you. Anyone used this?

Chris

I am still lookings for my new machine. What Iraq the advantages of a serger? Not sure I need that but maybe I do. Have looked around but salespeople are not very knowledgable or just too busy to help. I think it is the time of year that makes help difficult to fine. We are going to ride to the a irking store after Christmas and talked to them. I like the idea of the auto threader as my eyes are not that good. I also have always made lousy buttonholes which has limited some of my sewing but I saw a machine that you put the button in the special foot and it makes all the adjustments for you. Anyone used this?

Chris

The reason I needed/wanted a serger is that I do a lot of refashioning of dresses that are 2+ sizes bigger than my size. A serger will make a stronger seam than my regular sewing machine and if will not fray. It will also work great on my sports fabrics for rowing. I have a rowing top that I decided to refashion and my traditional sewing machine will not work with this crazy material. I plan on just serging the arm and neck holes with a rolled hem. Not my ideal solution, but I love this shirt and want to wear it rowing in the Spring..."Warriors on Water" for breast cancer awareness.

I am sure the ladies who have been serging for years can give you a better explanation. Oh, and the only sergers I found that auto feed the thread are the Baby Lock machines.

Lisa

I just love my serger because I don't like raw edges on the clothing that I make.

RedHeadTexan,

I just checked out your new serger. All I can say is WOW! A lot of improvements since I brought my Viking serger 17 years ago. Are you going to post any of the dresses that you re-sized? (hint, hint).

The reason I needed/wanted a serger is that I do a lot of refashioning of dresses that are 2+ sizes bigger than my size. A serger will make a stronger seam than my regular sewing machine and if will not fray. It will also work great on my sports fabrics for rowing. I have a rowing top that I decided to refashion and my traditional sewing machine will not work with this crazy material. I plan on just serging the arm and neck holes with a rolled hem. Not my ideal solution, but I love this shirt and want to wear it rowing in the Spring..."Warriors on Water" for breast cancer awareness.

I am sure the ladies who have been serging for years can give you a better explanation. Oh, and the only sergers I found that auto feed the thread are the Baby Lock machines.

Lisa

Would wooly nylon thread work for the neck holes?

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-wooly-nylon-thread.htm

Would wooly nylon thread work for the neck holes?

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-wooly-nylon-thread.htm

Thanks for the tip! I was not familiar with that thread, but will definitely give it a shot. I am completely self-taught, so there's a bunch I don't know. I will post some more before and after pictures of my transformations. :D

Lisa

I just love my serger because I don't like raw edges on the clothing that I make.

RedHeadTexan,

I just checked out your new serger. All I can say is WOW! A lot of improvements since I brought my Viking serger 17 years ago. Are you going to post any of the dresses that you re-sized? (hint, hint).

yeah, pictures!

I would love a serger and it sounds like you got a great deal! I am gonna put it on my list for next year.

Picked up some fabric to make DH a shirt. Beer bottles and glasses on a black background. It's right up his alley. Couldn't find anything I liked for myself. Guess I need to go through my stash.

Sounds like a real fun fabric. It will make a great man's shirt. I love sewing with fun fabrics.

Edited by geocruiser

Thanks for the tip! I was not familiar with that thread, but will definitely give it a shot. I am completely self-taught, so there's a bunch I don't know. I will post some more before and after pictures of my transformations. :D

Lisa

There's a book by Singer called "Sewing with an Overlock". It's readily available on Amazon, I got a used one in great condition for under 10 bucks including shipping. Its a wonderful reference book with great pictures and will teach you virtually anything you need to know about serging. As you can tell, I highly recommend it.

There's a book by Singer called "Sewing with an Overlock". It's readily available on Amazon, I got a used one in great condition for under 10 bucks including shipping. Its a wonderful reference book with great pictures and will teach you virtually anything you need to know about serging. As you can tell, I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation! I just ordered a used one in good condition through Amazon's used fulfillment center for $3.99.

I have been playing with the serger and love it. Nothing too extreme yet, but I am working a 1970's Christian Aujard silk dress right now and think I will do a rolled hem. I have removed the cuffs from the dress, so I will practice on that before trying it on the dress.

Lisa

Thanks for the recommendation! I just ordered a used one in good condition through Amazon's used fulfillment center for $3.99.

I have been playing with the serger and love it. Nothing too extreme yet, but I am working a 1970's Christian Aujard silk dress right now and think I will do a rolled hem. I have removed the cuffs from the dress, so I will practice on that before trying it on the dress.

Lisa

WOW! You have jumped into using your serger. I know you will just love using a serger.

Lisa

Wow! That sounds nice. I agree - you are cooking with gas now. Can't wait till you finish it and see the pics

Got DH's beer bottle shirt partially cut out and realized there was absolutely no way I was going to be able to make the front line up the way the pattern was placed on the fabric. Darn! Back to the fabric store. :D While I was there, I got fabric to line a linen dress that I already had and some tan linen to make a wide-brimmed hat. I think that's my limit, except for a trip to Charlotte on NYD to get some for my formal gown.

I'm so happy to be sewing again, though DH might not like the hits on the checkbook. :rolleyes:

Went looking for blue for my next formal and found a burn out shot with gold in three different colors-teal-ish, purple and black. I wound up with the purple for my dress, black for DH's vest and the remnant teal-ish for a blouse. I would have loved the teal for the formal, but there was only 1 3/4 yards. Backing my purple with black and DH's black with purple/solid black lapels and bow tie. All the fabric is silk.

Went looking for blue for my next formal and found a burn out shot with gold in three different colors-teal-ish, purple and black. I wound up with the purple for my dress, black for DH's vest and the remnant teal-ish for a blouse. I would have loved the teal for the formal, but there was only 1 3/4 yards. Backing my purple with black and DH's black with purple/solid black lapels and bow tie. All the fabric is silk.

Your fabric sounds wonderful. Can't wait to see everything when finished.