Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

I wish I had the right machine to hem the lovely gown I just bought. The fabric has a stretch to it, and my experience with my sewing machine is it does not like stretchy stuff and isn't shy about letting me know. I ordered a new pair of heels to wear with it, so I am hopeful that will be enough. If not, I think I can take it up at the waist instead. The way the waist is made I think I can keep any small issues hidden.

I've made a lot of my clothing in the past but found some sales so cheap I couldn't make the clothes for that for my upcoming cruise. I don't really use patterns much, except for slacks. My grandmother had that miraculous ability to squint at a piece of cloth, make some marks with her tailor's chalk, and then cut out the most marvelous things. Even suits. I sure can't do that, but I can extrapolate from something with similar lines thanks to her instruction. I've been thinking about making myself a swimsuit top, though. I may regret that as my grandmother, she of the marvelous patternless design ability, told me the one thing she'd never make again was a swimsuit. She made one for my aunt, and it was gorgeous, but she swore it took ten times as long as a men's suit due to all the fitting required.

Edited by TravelinGert

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter and I are making skirts similar to this one for her 18th birthday cruise. We are amateurs at best but it's our bonding and creative time which is priceless. My mother instilled a passion to sew in my daughter before she died and I'm so grateful for that. [emoji4]ImageUploadedByForums1437839997.232199.jpg.01db2aede90302b0a3cb601e0bb4d8ca.jpg

My daughter and I are making skirts similar to this one for her 18th birthday cruise. We are amateurs at best but it's our bonding and creative time which is priceless. My mother instilled a passion to sew in my daughter before she died and I'm so grateful for that. [emoji4][ATTACH]357075[/ATTACH]

They look nice. Are you using elastic for the waist?

Geocruiser was enquiring about sewing projects earlier this month. This is not cruise related, but I finally finished the wedding present for the daughter of my best friend. Just a little late (the wedding was this past October[emoji4])ImageUploadedByForums1437860541.820232.jpg.3a3d25be7e5b04594c63b4ad4ccd059b.jpg

Now to go through the fabric stash and do something [emoji41]

Stay cool and have a great weekend. Sue

ImageUploadedByForums1437860506.214709.jpg.ccec4b07b77aaeddd0ed3b5d20035c84.jpg

Geocruiser was enquiring about sewing projects earlier this month. This is not cruise related, but I finally finished the wedding present for the daughter of my best friend. Just a little late (the wedding was this past October[emoji4])[ATTACH]357104[/ATTACH][ATTACH]357105[/ATTACH]

Now to go through the fabric stash and do something [emoji41]

Stay cool and have a great weekend. Sue

It is beautiful. The is a lot of work in it. I sure they will love it and think of you every time they use it.

Geocruiser, I'm searching for a pattern that has a zipper because the fabric isn't very stretchy. I can tell you that my daughter and I are very excited about the project and I'll post pictures of us wearing them on the cruise![emoji5]️

Can you make a waist band and add a zipper to a maxi skirt pattern? The pattern seems simple, the fabric is what stands out. The puffiness seems to be from the fabric used and the models holding the skirt out with their hands..

Geocruiser, you are spot on! I can make a waist band! I'm going to watch a few tutorials on adding a zipper... I think your idea will work!!! Thanks!!![emoji3]

With the waist band, remember to leave a room for a hook or button

Hi! Hoping one of you have done this. My new dress is strapless with the stretchy top. I bought it in spite of that and just intended to wear a wrap jacket the entire time. I've been convinced to make straps. Just in case I get too hot. So my plan is to take the material I bought and make a casing as wide as my bra strap, sew it to clear elastic stretching only a little to A give it some give and B make it blend into the top better. But because I can't slip them on the bra strap as its attached and I don't really want to sew them to the dress I'm thinking of tacking or pinning right to the bra. That way my bra strap will never peek out!! I also found a beautiful scarf for wrap. Do you think that'll work?

ImageUploadedByForums1438083001.089363.jpg.f97ea5c46e1a8b43a0a8219caedb993f.jpg

snip... But because I can't slip them on the bra strap as its attached and I don't really want to sew them to the dress I'm thinking of tacking or pinning right to the bra. That way my bra strap will never peek out!! I also found a beautiful scarf for wrap. Do you think that'll work?

[ATTACH]357322[/ATTACH]

If I'm reading this correctly, the new matching straps will be attached to your bra and not the dress....if that is the case I can't see how they will keep the top of the dress in place, and if you're thinking of pinning the bra and new strap to the top of the dress bodice (front and back) I don't think that would be very successful or 'safe'. Much bettter to sew directly to the dress

Sandy in Spain

Edited by t60

If I'm reading this correctly, the new matching straps will be attached to your bra and not the dress....if that is the case I can't see how they will keep the top of the dress in place, and if you're thinking of pinning the bra and new strap to the top of the dress bodice (front and back) I don't think that would be very successful or 'safe'. Much bettter to sew directly to the dress

Sandy in Spain

I agree with Sandy. If you want to keep the option to wear it strapless, sew a small button on the inside of the bodice, both sides, front and back. Then put a buttonhole in each end of the strap. When you want straps, you just button the straps to the bodice.

I agree with Sandy. If you want to keep the option to wear it strapless, sew a small button on the inside of the bodice, both sides, front and back. Then put a buttonhole in each end of the strap. When you want straps, you just button the straps to the bodice.

That is a great idea. I forgot about doing that.

The top of the dress is shirred elastic. When I tried it on it didn't move but I understand your point. Hoping to get some ideas this weekend from my sewing daughter. Heck maybe I can even talk her into it. Taught her everything I know, and then she googled it and now makes princess dresses to die for. Thanks ladies. Will let you know the outcome.

I would sew the ends of the straps to the front only on the inside, then tie them as a halter top when you need it. Tuck them in when you don't need them. However, they means you would need to wear a halter or strapless bra with the dress.

Hi! Hoping one of you have done this. My new dress is strapless with the stretchy top. I bought it in spite of that and just intended to wear a wrap jacket the entire time. I've been convinced to make straps. Just in case I get too hot. So my plan is to take the material I bought and make a casing as wide as my bra strap, sew it to clear elastic stretching only a little to A give it some give and B make it blend into the top better. But because I can't slip them on the bra strap as its attached and I don't really want to sew them to the dress I'm thinking of tacking or pinning right to the bra. That way my bra strap will never peek out!! I also found a beautiful scarf for wrap. Do you think that'll work?

[ATTACH]357322[/ATTACH]

Hi! I've done this with strapless dresses a few times, and I'll share my experience. You can certainly take fabric, sew up two straps to suit you, and pin them to your bra. If you're taking all the trouble to actually sew straps, I will tell you the thing that worked the best in my experience was to create a strap that wraps around the bra strap utilizing snaps. I left a bit of fabric front and back so that it would drape just a tad lower than my bra strap so as to be firmly tucked under the top edge of the top. That is a cute dress and it does look like the jacket would just make you hot, btw.

Edited by TravelinGert

Hi! I've done this with strapless dresses a few times, and I'll share my experience. You can certainly take fabric, sew up two straps to suit you, and pin them to your bra. If you're taking all the trouble to actually sew straps, I will tell you the thing that worked the best in my experience was to create a strap that wraps around the bra strap utilizing snaps. I left a bit of fabric front and back so that it would drape just a tad lower than my bra strap so as to be firmly tucked under the top edge of the top. That is a cute dress and it does look like the jacket would just make you hot, btw.

Thank you. I've thought of that. I bought extra material so that may be an option. The bra I will use is bright green and I really won't be wearing with any other thing so I may just tac it down to save the steps of snaps. I did find a beautiful scarf that is like a watercolor with all the colors of the dress, with a little gold bling on the edges. I think it shocked how perfect a match it was. Having my company has slowed me down.

I *finally* started the drapes for our new house. Dang, room darkening fabric is difficult to work with. I made progress, but it is going to take a lot longer than I anticipated.

I did a lot of drapes year ago. I hated doing pinch pleats. The windows in our old house were all different sizes, so I did a lot of sewing.

Thank you. I've thought of that. I bought extra material so that may be an option. The bra I will use is bright green and I really won't be wearing with any other thing so I may just tac it down to save the steps of snaps. I did find a beautiful scarf that is like a watercolor with all the colors of the dress, with a little gold bling on the edges. I think it shocked how perfect a match it was. Having my company has slowed me down.

Would you mind to post a link or site for the scarf, please? Believe it or not, I have the same dress/skirt and would love to have a scarf. Thanks.

[ATTACH]357970[/ATTACH][ATTACH]357971[/ATTACH]

The first pic is of the scarf. The second shows the material that I'm making the straps of. Hope your JoAnns still has the scarf.

It is looking good. Can't wait to see it finished.