Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

I'm leaving Sept 4 and just realized my machine is blocked off by remodel crews. Hoping that's all done in time to make straps. They shouldn't take more than an afternoon. I do have to paint a room too!!

Edited by sunnydaygirl

It is looking good. Can't wait to see it finished.

Hi Maria!

You've got me thinking about sewing again! Right now I just make earrings and necklaces to match all my cruise outfits! Beads were the best invention ever!

I'm going thru the patterns posted. Need to make a list for a material run!

Thanks for posting this!

Hi Maria!

You've got me thinking about sewing again! Right now I just make earrings and necklaces to match all my cruise outfits! Beads were the best invention ever!

I'm going thru the patterns posted. Need to make a list for a material run!

Thanks for posting this!

Joann's is having a sale on Patterns starting Thurs till Sat. on Simplicity (5 for $5.) and Butterick for $1.99. August 9-15 McCall's are 99 cents.

Joann's is having a sale on Patterns starting Thurs till Sat. on Simplicity (5 for $5.) and Butterick for $1.99. August 9-15 McCall's are 99 cents.

Wow. Thanks for that. I've been looking at patterns all afternoon... LOL

If you get a chance stop by our roll call 11/27/16 Caribbean Princess - we've got a reunion cruise gathering up steam. Would love to see you again.

OK - off to Joann's website!

Wow. Thanks for that. I've been looking at patterns all afternoon... LOL

If you get a chance stop by our roll call 11/27/16 Caribbean Princess - we've got a reunion cruise gathering up steam. Would love to see you again.

OK - off to Joann's website!

Hi Seagypsea,

I just caught up with The Bun Mon on another thread. I did not read your post until to day. I have been under the weather since 7/18. But will be fine.

Thanks for the invite. If we can make it we will. Just need to wait until we a closer to sailing date to book. Will stop over to the other thread to say "Hi"

Not clothing, but I made this tote and clutch for a cruise - it was a great tote for our flights too - gave us easy access to the stuff we wanted during the flight.

The tote is approximately 20" x 11". - I made it with a recessed zipper and a removable shoulder strap. It has no interior pockets but it does have 6 pockets (3 on each side). I used upholstery fabric - so it is quite sturdy, but still folds up small enough to stuff in a suitcase.

I have been looking for something to add to the clutch - right now it just has a snap closure - but it needs something more.

http://1drv.ms/1HU5qil

I would love to know if any one else here sews clothes for their cruise vacation. I like to sew and try to make something new for each cruise. If you do sew, what patterns do you use? Are they for pants, skirts, dresses? What do you make? What kind of fabric do you use?

I can and do sew. I don't sew for cruises, but I attend a lot of black and white tie events, and I occasionally sew for those. It's mostly dresses or evening separates, and the patterns are typically Vogue, Vogue Vintage and/or vintage patterns purchased on Etsy or Ebay. I've also had some luck at flea markets and estate sales.

Here is a recent find:

fa3249f2b7c1161a696b2f32793a7cfb.jpg

I am using a silk brocade that I ordered from an expat Brit who's lived in Hong Kong for several decades. His speciality is finding beautiful silk fabrics at far better prices than I could ever hope to pay in the UK. As for fabrics, I am a stickler for natural fibres, and I mostly use silk in various weaves including taffeta, charmeuse, satin, brocade, dupioni, organza, and very rarely silk chiffon (too slippy and tough to handle).

CrossBluePerchance,

That is a beautiful tote. Great for any where, even on a cruise to use in port for shopping.

Persephone,

That is a great pattern. I love vintage patterns. You must be a great sewer. Have you worn any of your black and white tie events dresses on your cruise?

I still am making simple clothing. I have a lot to learn. But I do use my home made clothing on a cruise.

Geocruiser,

I once brought a silk bustier and a matching stole I had made. Typically, I only sew the things I cannot find in shops and online for a reasonable price. Good fabrics are expensive, plus one needs thread, lining material, boning, zips, hooks, buttons, interfacing fabric, etc. -- and time! It all adds up.

Unfortunately, the general decline of formality and elegance, has made it very difficult to find such things as opera and evening coats. My husband and I attend a lot of balls, which are typically held in autumn/winter, and since I don't wear fur (big animal lover), I need a stylish way to keep warm whilst being outside. I have a lovely black velvet cloak, a present from my grandma who was a young woman in the late 40s and 50s, but I like to have a bit of variety. Besides, a cloak (no sleeves) has much greater airflow and when it's -10C outside, the last thing I want is airflow.

• 2 weeks later...
I can and do sew. I don't sew for cruises, but I attend a lot of black and white tie events, and I occasionally sew for those. It's mostly dresses or evening separates, and the patterns are typically Vogue, Vogue Vintage and/or vintage patterns purchased on Etsy or Ebay. I've also had some luck at flea markets and estate sales.

Here is a recent find:

fa3249f2b7c1161a696b2f32793a7cfb.jpg

I am using a silk brocade that I ordered from an expat Brit who's lived in Hong Kong for several decades. His speciality is finding beautiful silk fabrics at far better prices than I could ever hope to pay in the UK. As for fabrics, I am a stickler for natural fibres, and I mostly use silk in various weaves including taffeta, charmeuse, satin, brocade, dupioni, organza, and very rarely silk chiffon (too slippy and tough to handle).

That is gorgeous!!! Good luck.

Persephone,

Fabric and be costly. I just sew simple clothing, mainly in cottons or cotton blends to be used in warm weather.

The one thing I love about sewing clothing is that no one else will be wearing the same thing that I am. They might make the same Pattern but the fabric will not be the same.

Your formal clothing sounds wonderful.

sunnydaygirl,

Will have to check it out next time I am in Walmart. Which will be in a day or two.

Not a sewing pattern - but it looks like a nice sweater to knit.

http://www.allfreeknitting.com/Knit-Cardigans/Summer-Kimono-Sleeve-Cardigan-From-Bernat

My knitting skills are quite limited - but I might try this one in grey

That is a very pretty sweater. Knitting you own will result in a one-of-a-kind garment. Even if some one else uses the same pattern the color and will will not be the same.

• 1 month later...

Thinking about getting this sewing machine. Has anyone ever used it before? Ideas on it, likes dislikes etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EPLBMO?colid=1NIBRLQF4X1QW&coliid=I2Q0H4VUCPN6GJ&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

My machine doesn't do embroidery and I want to try it so I can make shirts for everyone in our group in June of 16.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Gerry

I wish I could help you with a answer. I use a Viking embroidery/sew machine, which I love. There are lots of reviews on Amazon about the machine. Is it just to be used to make the shirts, and will not be use much after? The price is great , and you can see if embroidery is something that you might like.

Here is a review form http://www.Patternreview.com

http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingMachine/Review/1/5737

Thank you for the help geocruiser.

You are right the husqvarnaviking is a quite the machine but I think it is way past my abilities.

I am just learning when it comes to embroidery, even tho I have been sewing on a machine for over 50 years and am pretty good at it.

Embroidery is just something I have never attempted so I thought going in with an entry level machine would be the best bet.

I have a fabulous Brother sewing machine that I have had for almost 20 years that I paid a lot more for than this and I have used it for making everything. I will let you know if I decide to get it or not and if I like it.

Have a great day,

Gerry

Thanks again geocruiser.

The more I see about this machine the more I think this is the one for me.

I showed the info to my DH and he said to order it if I want. So I guess I will be ordering it today.

I will let you know how I like it when I get it.

I am going to use it mainly for the embroidery because I have a great regular sewing machine.

Have a great day,

Gerry

Geo, yes, you do need software. There are some designs in the machine and you can download some pattern from your computer. You also can buy them at ibroidery.

I am going to wait to see what stitches they have and what patterns are already in the machine before I order anything. I am really excited about this machine.

I even rearranged my craft room so that I can put my new machine close to the computer so that I can download pictures into it. I left my big machine on the sewing table and am going to put my new one on there too. My granddaughters sewing machines got moved to another spot until they are here to sew again.

Gerry

Geo, yes, you do need software. There are some designs in the machine and you can download some pattern from your computer. You also can buy them at ibroidery.

I am going to wait to see what stitches they have and what patterns are already in the machine before I order anything. I am really excited about this machine.

I even rearranged my craft room so that I can put my new machine close to the computer so that I can download pictures into it. I left my big machine on the sewing table and am going to put my new one on there too. My granddaughters sewing machines got moved to another spot until they are here to sew again.

Gerry

Do you know how you can down load pictures into the machine with out software?

It sounds like you are ready for the new "baby" to come home.