Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

I practiced with my paper napkin  that was handy to figure out the stitching and 'dressing" of something similar with only one seam. It will take some test measurements to figure out the size to cut.

Ths vintage pattern is clever.

Edited by mef_57

19 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I just picked up this pattern at Joann's for $1.99.

It looks interesting and different.  It is just a square like piece of fabric.

https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-storefront-catalog/patterns/women/tops--vests/simplicity-pattern-8452-misses-vintage-knit-blouse/

Don't have the time to sew for a while, but it is on my to make list.

What do you think?

I love that blouse! 

Lisa

6 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

I love that blouse! 

Lisa

After I brought the pattern, I thought to myself.  "I bet Lisa could whip a bunch of these out in a day ".  I thought of you because the fabric used is a knit.

Edited by geocruiser

18 hours ago, geocruiser said:

After I brought the pattern, I thought to myself.  "I bet Lisa could whip a bunch of these out in a day ".  I thought of you because the fabric used is a knit.

Walt and I went to JoAnn's yesterday to look at patterns...I bribed him with lunch at the Falafel House.  I ended up buying 5 patterns for $1.99 each:

Simplicity Mimi G Style 8291 https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-storefront-catalog/patterns/women/dresses/simplicity-pattern-8291-mimi-g-style-misseswomens-knit-dress/

Simplicity S8925 https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-storefront-catalog/patterns/women/simplicity-sewing-pattern-s8925-misses-knit-pants-skirt-wrap-dress-and-wrap-top/

Simplicity Mimi G Style S8915  https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-storefront-catalog/patterns/women/simplicity-sewing-pattern-s8915-misses-knit-maxi-dresses-by-mimi-g-style/

Simplicity Mimi G Style 8749 https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-storefront-catalog/patterns/women/sportswear/simplicity-sewing-pattern-8749-misseswomens-mimi-g-style-coat-and-pants/

Simplicity Mimi G Style 8177 https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-storefront-catalog/patterns/women/sportswear/simplicity-pattern-8177-mimi-g-style-pants-coat-or-vest-and-knit-top-for-miss-and-plus-sizes/

Since the patterns were so inexpensive, I bought 2 of each one.  That way if I size it wrong, I have a back up pattern to work with.  Thanks for the tip on the pattern sale!

Lisa

• Like 1

Here is the project that I have been working on this weekend.  I re-patterned the top of the dress I made a few weeks ago to make a bikini top.  It took two attempts to get the fit and construction right, but I am happy with the results.  Orange line on the pattern was the original dress pattern and it was 2.5 inches longer.  I added extra loops, elastic, and made the straps 12 inches longer.

B79C84EC-F2FF-4E66-82FB-EB660F05A586.jpeg

798D98ED-A3EB-4955-80B1-52F6922FEB06.jpeg

30E71425-19E8-41C2-B708-409F3AF83EC3.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 9:38 AM, RedHeadTexan said:

Here is the project that I have been working on this weekend.  I re-patterned the top of the dress I made a few weeks ago to make a bikini top.  It took two attempts to get the fit and construction right, but I am happy with the results.  Orange line on the pattern was the original dress pattern and it was 2.5 inches longer.  I added extra loops, elastic, and made the straps 12 inches longer.

B79C84EC-F2FF-4E66-82FB-EB660F05A586.jpeg

798D98ED-A3EB-4955-80B1-52F6922FEB06.jpeg

30E71425-19E8-41C2-B708-409F3AF83EC3.jpeg

WOW!!!!  What a great job.  You might even want to wear that with shorts, skirt (maybe a flowy type for day wear) or pants too.

The patterns that you brought look really nice.  I have also brought two of the same patterns at time for the sizes.  Some times it is cheaper to buy two patterns than to try to copy the pattern on pattern paper.  And a lot less work too.

From the waist down this fits perfectly.  The bust is too big, so I am going to add darts and shorten the band in the back.  I will alter the pattern before making the next one.  Once the bust is fixed, I will have Walt take some pictures of me in it.  

Lisa

4BC404F3-C36D-4949-8F1A-0B643515E203.jpeg

A414E355-8498-4177-9695-155841AE30D2.jpeg

Lisa,

Really a nice cruise dress.  I love the back. Can't wait to see the other fabric.

I have been spending my time cleaning out my two sewing cabinets.  I can't believe what I had in them, plus in storage boxes.  Now I have just the two cabinets (big ones).  So, when I want to go shopping, I will do that in the cabinets.  We are fixing here around the house.  A major look and see what we can get rid of.

12 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Beautiful! What a great job you did. You look loverly. Do you have an upcoming cruise or other event that you will be wearing it to? Your cute kitty compliments the dress well😉

Sharon

Thanks!  We have a cruise to Bermuda in September and this is definitely coming.

Lisa

15 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

Other than hemming, the dress is done.  Adding darts to the bust took care of the sizing issue.  I am very happy with the results and how easy this pattern was to make.

Lisa

D9346EA0-95C7-4573-BF9C-3A42BDFD99E7.jpeg

2A11656D-D47F-481F-92DC-0BC0F5E73CB0.jpeg

673D8118-5822-441D-80BA-7BC4FA1E3503.jpeg

That dress keeps the girls in a good place, too!  You have more on top than the model, but that dress keeps the ladies well.  Did you have to sew in cups or anything?

Answering a few questions:

Bodice:  No cups attached, but next time I will be adding super power mesh in the lining for a little more support.

How long have I been sewing:  I started sewing in college making pillows, curtains, and the occasional baby blanket.  I stuck to that until 8 years ago.  Then I began to refashion thrift store finds.  I started sewing clothes from patterns 3 years ago.  My first pieces were athletic stuff for rowing like biker shorts and tank tops, then I slowly moved into other things like tops, skirts, and dresses.  This past year I started altering patterns, mashing patterns, and dabbling in making my own.  

How I learned to sew:  I am 100% self taught.  In the 1990's I bought a couple of books on making home decor.  I still have those books and love the ideas.  Once the internet and YouTube came on the scene, I watched tons of videos.  I love a sew along on YouTube.  Simplicity has some great ones.  I think my refashioning phase really helped me learn how to tailor clothing.  It's probably why I didn't have a meltdown when this last dress's bust was a hot mess.  

Who's the cat:  That is Coco Chanel, our youngest kitty at 9 months old that we adopted from the local shelter in February.  When we adopted Coco, my mom was entering Hospice.  My mom loved Coco Chanel, so we decided to name our pretty little black kitten that.  My mom passed away a few days later.  Kittens make the worst of days a little better.  

Lisa

Lisa,

You have become a wonderful sewer in just three years.  I remember you doing the refashioning clothing from a thrift store, then the tank tops and yoga/knit pants.  Then I thought that you were clothing sewing for years,  because your finished clothing was beautiful.

Sorry to hear about your mom.  It is hard to loose a mother.

Coco Chanel is a cute name for your kitty.

• 4 weeks later...

I sewed a new pattern today and just have the hemming left to do.  This is from Made for Mermaids and the pattern is called Jade.  I added too much length to the leg pattern pieces, so will adjust the pattern.  When you are 6 feet tall it’s always best to go long.  I will be making a shorts version soon.

7981179C-D138-4B41-910C-2C9D83D8BB6F.jpeg

FDA6160D-C30D-4D67-990C-58F1B59D1C6B.jpeg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

I sewed a new pattern today and just have the hemming left to do.  This is from Made for Mermaids and the pattern is called Jade.  I added too much length to the leg pattern pieces, so will adjust the pattern.  When you are 6 feet tall it’s always best to go long.  I will be making a shorts version soon.

I am so amazed and impressed - big time - with your sewing.  

Your clothes are beautiful.

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2019 at 5:45 PM, RedHeadTexan said:

Looks beautiful on you.  A very nice fit too.  I have not made a jumpsuit as of yet.  You are giving me ideas.  Will check out the pattern company.

On 8/17/2019 at 5:45 PM, RedHeadTexan said:

Fabulous! I understand where you are coming from, not quite as tall but always adding length to pants, skirts, dresses and sleeves.  The fabric reminds me of Ralph Lauren 

Since Sunday I have seen the shorts version of the romper and used the bodice to make a dress.  I am wearing the dress to work tomorrow and the shorts romper to a shrimp boil on Saturday.  I will get pictures of me wearing them to post.  Both wear made with ITY knits, so I had to use the walking foot on my basic sewing machine since the fabric is slicker than a wet noodle.  Anyway, here is a preview of the dress.  And it has pockets!!!!

Lisa

B200DF89-628B-4B2C-A62C-0F44A151C4A1.jpeg

7A0BB12D-3D3C-4C04-8209-8722F6D354AE.jpeg

4CC8572A-D67A-490C-97E3-6FA92467ED42.jpeg

Lisa,

Love the new dress.  You are a fast sewer!  I can't wait to see you wearing them.

I still have not gotten behind my machines as of yet.  Time spent fixing the house.  Soon that will be done.  And I will be free to sew!!