Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

On 9/7/2019 at 6:06 AM, RedHeadTexan said:

Oh boy...self restraint when it comes to fabric????🤣

I am also a quilter.  Back in 'Y2K' 2000, plenty of people were making pledges for the new millenium. One prolific quilter pledged to not buy any fabric for the entire year.  I think she allowed herself to buy batting, but no fabric.  She could trade and barter or use what she had.  Not sure how she determined the value she saved that year, but her 'reward' was a very long cruise they wouldn't have otherwise been able to take. 

Maybe you just need the right incentive?

6 hours ago, mef_57 said:

I am also a quilter.  Back in 'Y2K' 2000, plenty of people were making pledges for the new millenium. One prolific quilter pledged to not buy any fabric for the entire year.  I think she allowed herself to buy batting, but no fabric.  She could trade and barter or use what she had.  Not sure how she determined the value she saved that year, but her 'reward' was a very long cruise they wouldn't have otherwise been able to take. 

Maybe you just need the right incentive?

I think my issue has been a lack of confidence in my sewing ability when I bought a bunch of the fabric 1-3 years ago.  I am a much better seamstress now, and have been using the fabric I have been purchasing this year within a month.  So, now I am on a buying hiatus to work my way through some of these gorgeous fabrics that I was too nervous to cut into.  The money I am saving can go towards excursions for our January cruise.  Once I get through 75% of my stash, I am putting myself on a monthly fabric budget.  

Lisa

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

I think my issue has been a lack of confidence in my sewing ability when I bought a bunch of the fabric 1-3 years ago.  I am a much better seamstress now, and have been using the fabric I have been purchasing this year within a month.  So, now I am on a buying hiatus to work my way through some of these gorgeous fabrics that I was too nervous to cut into.  The money I am saving can go towards excursions for our January cruise.  Once I get through 75% of my stash, I am putting myself on a monthly fabric budget.  

Lisa

I agree with what you said about having a issue of lack of confidence in my sewing ability.  Sometimes I am afraid to try a new fabric or pattern in fear that I may screw it up.  My DH say to try it, the worse that can happen is you put it is the garbage.  

I have gone through all my fabric ano and I am trying to not buy anymore.  Will see what happens.

Somehow I managed to make 5 more outfits in the last week for the cruise.  I have officially stopped sewing for next 2-3 weeks.  We are driving to Charleston on Saturday and board the ship on Sunday.  I plan on having Walt take lots of pictures of me in the me-made garments and will post when we get back.  We are supposed to be in Bermuda on the 25th and 26th, but we shall see.  My fingers are crossed for Bermuda, but I will be happy and stylin' wherever we end up.

Happy Sewing,

Lisa

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RedHeadTexan said:

Somehow I managed to make 5 more outfits in the last week for the cruise.  I have officially stopped sewing for next 2-3 weeks.  We are driving to Charleston on Saturday and board the ship on Sunday.  I plan on having Walt take lots of pictures of me in the me-made garments and will post when we get back.  We are supposed to be in Bermuda on the 25th and 26th, but we shall see.  My fingers are crossed for Bermuda, but I will be happy and stylin' wherever we end up.

Happy Sewing,

Lisa

Congrats on the extra outfits.  I think back to 1976 on my first cruise when I sewed for weeks - no serger and overcast stitches to make seam finishing easier.  It didn't help that I also drafted the patterns for most of them, but oh how I loved strutting those dresses through the Med.

Hope Bermuda works out as planned, and as you said 'you be stylin' regardless.

Safe travels and have fun.

On 9/17/2019 at 7:26 AM, RedHeadTexan said:

Happy Sewing,

Lisa

I cant't wait to see you in your outfits.  You might want to bring one warmer outfit, if the ship goes north.  There is Hurricane Humberto ( cat # now) that is going close to Bermuda. And after that one there is Tropical Storm Jerry, which should be a hurricane in a few days, also heading that way.

But you could still go south.  It up in the air.

12 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I cant't wait to see you in your outfits.  You might want to bring one warmer outfit, if the ship goes north.  There is Hurricane Humberto ( cat # now) that is going close to Bermuda. And after that one there is Tropical Storm Jerry, which should be a hurricane in a few days, also heading that way.

But you could still go south.  It up in the air.

I am off from work tomorrow, so I will be adding a few warmer things to my luggage.  I am also throwing snorkeling gear in the trunk.  If we find out on Saturday or Sunday morning that we are going to the Caribbean, then I can throw it in the luggage.   Apparently, 80% of Bermuda is without power from Humberto.  I have a strong feeling that we are not going there.  Oh well, Walt and I will have fun wherever we end up. 👍

Lisa

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

I am off from work tomorrow, so I will be adding a few warmer things to my luggage.  I am also throwing snorkeling gear in the trunk.  If we find out on Saturday or Sunday morning that we are going to the Caribbean, then I can throw it in the luggage.   Apparently, 80% of Bermuda is without power from Humberto.  I have a strong feeling that we are not going there.  Oh well, Walt and I will have fun wherever we end up. 👍

Lisa

Lisa,

You have a wonderful positive outlook.  Go with the flow.  There is still a chance that you could have a warm weather cruise.  Time will tell.  It is wise to pack a few cooler weather clothing pieces.  Maybe even a shrug to be worn over a sleeveless dress.

You and Walt will have a new adventure together.

Edited by geocruiser

We found out yesterday evening that we are not going to Bermuda...YAY!!!!  I have a tendency to get sea sick, so the thought of dealing with the rough ride to Bermuda was worrisome.  We are now going to Princess Cays and Nassau.  It will be our first time to Princess' private island and we are there from 7am to 5pm.  In Nassau we are staying on the ship and making it a pool day.  My outlook is, I am on vacation and this itinerary is still better than a week at the office.  Carnival gave us a 25% FCC, which makes me happy.  We have 3 cruises booked in the window to use it, so I will apply it to our Carnival Mardi Gras cruise once we get back.

Ok, now it's time to finish packing and head to Charleston.  I hope y'all have a fabulous week of sewing and post your creations.  Y'all inspire me to sew more and more. ❤️ 

Lisa

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

We found out yesterday evening that we are not going to Bermuda...YAY!!!!  I have a tendency to get sea sick, so the thought of dealing with the rough ride to Bermuda was worrisome.  We are now going to Princess Cays and Nassau.  It will be our first time to Princess' private island and we are there from 7am to 5pm.  In Nassau we are staying on the ship and making it a pool day.  My outlook is, I am on vacation and this itinerary is still better than a week at the office.  Carnival gave us a 25% FCC, which makes me happy.  We have 3 cruises booked in the window to use it, so I will apply it to our Carnival Mardi Gras cruise once we get back.

Ok, now it's time to finish packing and head to Charleston.  I hope y'all have a fabulous week of sewing and post your creations.  Y'all inspire me to sew more and more. ❤️ 

Lisa

Princess Cay is nice.  If by chance you want to buy local crafts at Princess Cay there are two places to do so.  Once you get off the tender they will direct you to the left.  You go to the right behind the building.  There is a chain link fence and a guard sitting there.  Show you government ID and your cruise card.  Then out you go of Princess Cay.  There are vendors there a lot cheaper then In side Princess Cay.  They were always there when we came on a Princess ship.

By the way I took a cruise on Carnival Mardi Gras years ago.  It was  their first ship. She was small. And it was old looking.  This was back in the late 1970's.  Have a great cruise.

th?id=OIP.JBUsrTz2EvFy9u8Y7jjY8wAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=248&h=166

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 5:19 AM, RedHeadTexan said:

Lisa

We just got back from the Sunrise that tried to get to Bermuda and switched to Charleston.  It was still a nice vacation, but we had a lot of rough seas - I hope yours are calmer.  We also got a FCC which was a nice good will gesture.

Nassau is a great extra "sea day" port and Princess Cay has good snorkeling since it is a rockier beach.  Have a great trip!

• Like 1

Fabulous photos of your outfits Lisa!  

Having part-timers issue: I thought someone had posted a link for increasing tummy size for mens shirt. Even looked on Threads and may be I am not looking with the right words / phrase. I get adjustments for pants. I am thinking that I would find the halfway part/distance along the waistline and spread the base open but keep the centre front the way it is? 

Thanks, Sue >M<

• Like 1

11 hours ago, redlady62 said:

Fabulous photos of your outfits Lisa!  

Having part-timers issue: I thought someone had posted a link for increasing tummy size for mens shirt. Even looked on Threads and may be I am not looking with the right words / phrase. I get adjustments for pants. I am thinking that I would find the halfway part/distance along the waistline and spread the base open but keep the centre front the way it is? 

Thanks, Sue >M<

Sue M, I always love a challenge.  I did a google search and I think this link will cause a little entertainment, but also help with your problem.  You are essentially correct..

https://thepragmaticcostumer.wordpress.com/2015/12/07/full-belly-adjustment-for-a-3xl-gentleman-altering-a-vest-pattern-for-the-fuller-male-figure/

• Like 1

Lisa, so glad you had a great time. Thanks for sharing what photos you did take.  You look lovely and you did a great job with the clothing.  I'm still 'encouraging' you to try wovens.....😉  but it is essentially what you are comfortable wearing that matters.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mef_57 said:

Sue M, I always love a challenge.  I did a google search and I think this link will cause a little entertainment, but also help with your problem.  You are essentially correct..

https://thepragmaticcostumer.wordpress.com/2015/12/07/full-belly-adjustment-for-a-3xl-gentleman-altering-a-vest-pattern-for-the-fuller-male-figure/

Thank you for the link. It was/is a great read.

Lisa, I just made my son’s  costume for Halloween. Recovered a hat to make it like a fez, a vest out of a fabric leftover, and harem like pants from a thrift store. Just had to put elastic to make the fabric blossom out a bit at the ankles. First time using the sewing machine in many months. It felt good.

• Like 2

Thanks Everyone!  For the next month I am in full training for The Head of the Hooch Rowing Regatta in Chattanooga, TN, so there will be very little sewing in October.  The only thing I need to make are purple rowing shorts.  My double partner and I are wearing these shirts this season with purple shorts.  Hannah rowed at Clemson, so she is wearing her college shorts.  I ordered fabric from Mood to make mine.  Oh, we Row for Atomic Rowing in Oak Ridge, TN, the secret city from WWII.

Lisa

FC97B1AD-EB01-4480-9C2C-1B5911E8EC10.jpeg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Lisa,

You cruise outfits that you made looked beautiful on you.   I think the pink rowing shirt will look super with the purple  shorts.

Thanks!  We are Rowing for the Cure this season, so ditching our regular black, red, and yellow uniforms for Pink.  I prefer the pink and purple.  I will have Walt take pictures when I have everything.

Lisa

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening everyone: not really sewing related but I figured you guys would be a great resource.  I have a lovely evening bag that I believe is made with satin. And of course it has a stain/watermark of some sort on it. Meant to clean it post cruise last fall. . . .  you know where this is going . . .  any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

Sue >M<

12 hours ago, redlady62 said:

Evening everyone: not really sewing related but I figured you guys would be a great resource.  I have a lovely evening bag that I believe is made with satin. And of course it has a stain/watermark of some sort on it. Meant to clean it post cruise last fall. . . .  you know where this is going . . .  any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

Sue >M<

Because I sew a variety of fabrics, I tend to have less regard of the 'dry clean only' labels so sometime more DIY tha  recommended. I wash silks, for example. So I checked google and see there are several techniques for cleaning your handbag. I suggest following ones that clean the entire fabric, rather than spot cleaning. Of course, you can spot clean any heavily soiled areas first (dabbing, not rubbing) and then do an overall clean. This way, any texture or colour changes are uniform and makes the bag reusable. One suggests soaking the bag in luke warm water and mild soap for 2 hours. I would check after 10 minutes and again at 20 to see if there is colour bleed. If the purse has a light lining, dark exterior, that could be messy well before 2 hours. If it is a vintage bag, 2 hours could mean rust starting on any metal frame.

Personaly, I would soak an hour, look to see if stains have lifted. If not, rub lightly with a little diluted baking soda and a clean sponge. Rinse out sponge, move bag to clean luke warm water, and give entire surface a very light brush (or dabs) with sponge over all surface. This is to dislodge any residual dirt. If water isn't looking dirty, then you are done. Put hand towel inside. With a low nap towel...like a dish drying towel press and blot exterior surface to remove as much water as you can. Dry any metal work.  During drying, you can give it some shots of warm air from a blowdryer to the inside of the bag only. Close it to hold shape and hang to dry. If there is some air circulation, even better.  You don't want to force immediate drying but you want to reduce any chance of any metal pieces rusting, so help it along.

Some bags actually are hand sewn to the metal frame, in which case, I would unstitch and clean them separately...restitching after fabric is totally dry.

Let us know how it goes.

• Like 1