Cruise Critic Community
geocruiser

Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

12 hours ago, redlady62 said:

Evening everyone: not really sewing related but I figured you guys would be a great resource.  I have a lovely evening bag that I believe is made with satin. And of course it has a stain/watermark of some sort on it. Meant to clean it post cruise last fall. . . .  you know where this is going . . .  any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

Sue >M<

Because I sew a variety of fabrics, I tend to have less regard of the 'dry clean only' labels so sometime more DIY tha  recommended. I wash silks, for example. So I checked google and see there are several techniques for cleaning your handbag. I suggest following ones that clean the entire fabric, rather than spot cleaning. Of course, you can spot clean any heavily soiled areas first (dabbing, not rubbing) and then do an overall clean. This way, any texture or colour changes are uniform and makes the bag reusable. One suggests soaking the bag in luke warm water and mild soap for 2 hours. I would check after 10 minutes and again at 20 to see if there is colour bleed. If the purse has a light lining, dark exterior, that could be messy well before 2 hours. If it is a vintage bag, 2 hours could mean rust starting on any metal frame.

Personaly, I would soak an hour, look to see if stains have lifted. If not, rub lightly with a little diluted baking soda and a clean sponge. Rinse out sponge, move bag to clean luke warm water, and give entire surface a very light brush (or dabs) with sponge over all surface. This is to dislodge any residual dirt. If water isn't looking dirty, then you are done. Put hand towel inside. With a low nap towel...like a dish drying towel press and blot exterior surface to remove as much water as you can. Dry any metal work.  During drying, you can give it some shots of warm air from a blowdryer to the inside of the bag only. Close it to hold shape and hang to dry. If there is some air circulation, even better.  You don't want to force immediate drying but you want to reduce any chance of any metal pieces rusting, so help it along.

Some bags actually are hand sewn to the metal frame, in which case, I would unstitch and clean them separately...restitching after fabric is totally dry.

Let us know how it goes.

Morning and Thank you! Forgot about baking soda and water. Will let you know how things turn out

Things are a little chilly here in Southern Ontario today -1 C at 8:30 when we were out walking!

IMG_3476.JPG

3 hours ago, redlady62 said:

Morning and Thank you! Forgot about baking soda and water. Will let you know how things turn out

Things are a little chilly here in Southern Ontario today -1 C at 8:30 when we were out walking!

IMG_3476.JPG

Frost?

Yes, that it is.  Hubby had to scrape his car windows this morning (leaves house at 6 am for work) 

17 hours ago, redlady62 said:

Yes, that it is.  Hubby had to scrape his car windows this morning (leaves house at 6 am for work) 

That is no fun!☃️

Agree with mef_57 about cleaning the entire purse with what she suggested.  The original stain sounds like it's a water stain from someone trying to spot clean.  Silk and satin don't spot clean very well.  Clean the whole surface for a uniform color.

I, too, wash silk.  What relaxes the fabric back to it's original softness is a little heat from an iron. 

My latest project.  I still have to take in the sides, but I like to wear something a few times to see how it feels and where it needs to be altered in the body of the blouse.

This blouse is about $60 new, and I got it for $13 on ebay.  An additional $2 for extra fabric.  It was what I refer to as and "orangutang" blouse.  Manufacturers using computerized patterns.  Just because a woman's hips get bigger around doesn't mean her arms get LONGER!!  So many garment makers just think they can let the computer figure it out, and the program makes the whole garment proportionately bigger.  So, this blouse was a petite length with super long sleeves.  It was a good 3 inches too short for me (I knew that when I bought it online).  

Off to Joann's for a good matching black fabric that was close to the blouses sleeve and trim fabric.  I added a double sided 3" black section to the bottom hem, and shortened the sleeves to elbow length.  I'll wear it on the plane next week when we fly to our cruise port, and that way see how it fits with walking, luggage, bending, overhead bins, sitting, etc.  Then, when I get home I'll alter where it needs in the body.  It's super soft and comfy.

Jewel tone blouse with added hem.JPG

Pcur, great job on the top!

I did my rowing race on Saturday, so now I have time to sew again.  I trained really hard for 6 weeks and we had a personal best time.  Hannah and I both happy and pretty sore after racing 5k on the very choppy Tennessee River in Chattanooga.  I am wearing the purple shorts I made with fabric I ordered from Mood. The color matched Hannah’s Clemson purple shorts perfectly.  I am the one with the number on my back in bow seat.  Yes, we race with our backs facing the direction we are going.  The person in bow seat of sculling boats is responsible for calling steering commands.

Lisa

D86C0D94-C4B0-45ED-BA12-DEBEC6B7E6AC.png

On 11/4/2019 at 7:34 PM, RedHeadTexan said:

Pcur, great job on the top!

I did my rowing race on Saturday, so now I have time to sew again.  I trained really hard for 6 weeks and we had a personal best time.  Hannah and I both happy and pretty sore after racing 5k on the very choppy Tennessee River in Chattanooga.  I am wearing the purple shorts I made with fabric I ordered from Mood. The color matched Hannah’s Clemson purple shorts perfectly.  I am the one with the number on my back in bow seat.  Yes, we race with our backs facing the direction we are going.  The person in bow seat of sculling boats is responsible for calling steering commands.

Lisa

D86C0D94-C4B0-45ED-BA12-DEBEC6B7E6AC.png

Great Picture.  Love the pink.  Was the water cold?

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

Great Picture.  Love the pink.  Was the water cold?

Oh yes, the water was cold and the air temperature was around 50 degrees with 15mph wind.  Breezy and Chilly.  Morning races were in the upper 20's, so really happy we raced at 6:10pm.  My clothes were soaked, so once we got the boat put up I stripped down to my sports bra and panties to put on sweats.  Brrr...Hannah was a little surprised that I got changed in front of everyone.  I was frozen and didn't care.  

Current project is flannel infinity scarves with 8inch zipper pockets.  Yes, I am trying my hand at wovens.  😲

Lisa

Lisa, those sound interesting. Can’t quite picture one so hope you will post a picture when you finish. Are yo making them for gifts?

Sharon

49 minutes ago, RedHeadTexan said:

Oh yes, the water was cold and the air temperature was around 50 degrees with 15mph wind.  Breezy and Chilly.  Morning races were in the upper 20's, so really happy we raced at 6:10pm.  My clothes were soaked, so once we got the boat put up I stripped down to my sports bra and panties to put on sweats.  Brrr...Hannah was a little surprised that I got changed in front of everyone.  I was frozen and didn't care.  

Current project is flannel infinity scarves with 8inch zipper pockets.  Yes, I am trying my hand at wovens.  😲

Lisa

WOW!.  I don't blame you for changing.  Better to change than to end up getting really sick.  A sport bra and panties look like most two piece bathing suits.  I bet most people thought that is what you had on under you outfit.

I have not gotten a chance to sew.  But I want to try my hand a knits soon.

1 hour ago, RedHeadTexan said:

Lisa

Yeah! Let's hear it for the wovens. So, are these some of those hidden pocket scarves so you don't need to carry a purse? Also to try and tick off pickpockets? Kinda like this? https://www.magellans.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=MA7100+BK

They would be great gifts for Christmas, but also make a couple for your next cruise....but in something lighter and brighter.

Good luck with it and have fun.

12 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

Yeah! Let's hear it for the wovens. So, are these some of those hidden pocket scarves so you don't need to carry a purse? Also to try and tick off pickpockets? Kinda like this? https://www.magellans.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=MA7100+BK

They would be great gifts for Christmas, but also make a couple for your next cruise....but in something lighter and brighter.

Good luck with it and have fun.

Exactly that!  And I am making them as Christmas gifts.  Here are some that I made last weekend.

Lisa

EB902C67-59A1-43BC-9543-63DE363DA29D.jpeg

D719B898-3C8B-457D-905D-0808E4FF2259.jpeg

ABB88B6F-70FF-4EC0-96CC-159B7CC223B1.jpeg

15 minutes ago, RedHeadTexan said:

Exactly that!  And I am making them as Christmas gifts.  Here are some that I made last weekend.

Lisa

Cute. Thanks for sharing. I am curious. Is the alternate fabric a pocket, or fully lined? Normally I only see the tutorials put a zipper in the seam with nothing to keep things contained inside. Thanks for any clarity.

Edited by mef_57

What a great gift idea and your fabric choices are perfect! Love the contrasting print for the pocket. Thanks for posting the pictures.

18 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

Lisa

EB902C67-59A1-43BC-9543-63DE363DA29D.jpeg

D719B898-3C8B-457D-905D-0808E4FF2259.jpeg

ABB88B6F-70FF-4EC0-96CC-159B7CC223B1.jpeg

❤️❤️❤️ Those are great!

There is a thread somewhere about how we carry our sail card, and this would be a great option.  I usually carry epi-pen, card, lip gloss and tissues (maybe readers unless I wear them).  That looks like enough room and none of those items are very heavy.

18 hours ago, mef_57 said:

Cute. Thanks for sharing. I am curious. Is the alternate fabric a pocket, or fully lined? Normally I only see the tutorials put a zipper in the seam with nothing to keep things contained inside. Thanks for any clarity.

The alternate fabric is an 8 inch x 8 inch pocket.  The scarf is not fully lined.

What is everyone sewing this month?

I finished up the Christmas gifts with bowl cozies that are microwave safe and 11” Christmas Trees.  Now it’s on to sewing skirts for my cruise next month.

Lisa

7249DEFF-89DA-4B7E-B2F1-4D5C72F86982.jpeg

8D04E3DD-3FBD-4DE2-BDA7-9FD1E7069192.jpeg

Hubby and I just played with some tie-dye. The sun hat was done by putting color granules in a shaker and spraying with water. The green shirt is my first attempt at ombre.

20191201_190530.jpg

20191130_185515.jpg

20191130_185636.jpg

I tried something new today! I used stretch lace to make a pencil skirt.  I have never worked with lace, but I had a vision when I saw this one at Hobby Lobby.  So, I bought a yard for $5.  I lined it with nude swim lining that I had in my stash and did the waist band out of leftover black ponte knit from a previous sew.  I still have to hem it, but I am very pleased with the look and fit.  The lace is on the heavy side, so the swim lining kept it from being ridiculously heavy.  

Lisa

C9560E4C-77A5-4F04-AF24-A8CCDB7F5B31.jpeg

10F92E3A-514F-449E-838D-5DF5C178D5FD.jpeg

Lisa,

The Christmas gifts are beautiful.  I all ways want to make the tree.  I just did not have time this year for much sewing.  That will change.  The stretch lace skirt is really nice.  Love the color.

PurpleHays,

The tied dye is great.  beautiful results.

I am between semesters, so I have a little time to sew. This is a sports bra that I made from a remnant I had forever. It wasn't wide enough to make a skate skirt (it's original purpose) so I've been hanging on to it forever. I just need my daughter to pin the straps evenly.  I made it from simplicity D0644

20191222_191254.thumb.jpg.f58ce0bb4cc5ef866f2ceffa61c0221b.jpg

20191222_191308.jpg