Soda Card policy change

ChelseaSailor

On our June/July Amsterdam cruise, a woman sitting next to us in the dining room ordered a coke -- handed the waiter her soda card -- he came back with a glass -- 6 ounces. She questioned him and he told her that that was the new rule -- no more cans.

This summer my son was told he could not have a can because he had a soda card only a glass. He ordered a gingerale in the Lido. The waiter brought the drink in a glass with ice. The OPENED can of gingerale was placed along with several other opened soda cans on a tray over by the dirty dishes. So now if someone else orders a gingerale they will get the other half of the can. How disgusting is that. Who knows what could fall in the open cans of soda and how long it sat there before consumption.

No way am I buying a soda card again!

We were aboard the Amsterdam July 27-Aug 10.

When DH activated his beverage card (either Lido or Sea View pool bar), he was given a can of cola. Charge $2.24 to represent the can and the service charge.

When I activated mine in the Crow's Nest, the bartender almost handed me a can, but another bartender told him no... and I was given the glass. Charge $1.95 to represent the glass and the service charge.

Inconsistent, yes.

Later in the cruise, we figured out that we would only get cans at Explorer's Cafe since they have no bar gun to fill the glass. I read in this thread that others were not able to purchase cans at Explorer's Cafe using the beverage card... strange.

Also, we stopped using mine since we had no hope of depleting both. We just don't consume that much cola. We aimed to keep one high and one low to increase the odds of getting some money back for the one almost unused card.

We were aboard the Amsterdam July 27-Aug 10.

Later in the cruise, we figured out that we would only get cans at Explorer's Cafe since they have no bar gun to fill the glass. I read in this thread that others were not able to purchase cans at Explorer's Cafe using the beverage card... strange.

We were on the same cruise and I am the person who posted that we were unable to use our $50 beverage card at the Explorer's Cafe. We tried on two separate occasions as did my sister and her husband, and every time were told that card was not able to be used for canned sodas. The only card they would accept there was our $250 beverage card which was good for everything. When we used that card to purchase canned sodas the charge was $1.95. When we used the $50 card to purchase fountain sodas the charge was $1.50. However, we even ran into problems with this in the dining room. My husband and I used the $250 card to order the canned sodas and my sister and son used the other card for fountain sodas, since that was all they would provide. On a couple of occasions we were all brought fountain sodas and all charged $1.95. We would have to point out that a. my husband and I were supposed to get canned sodas and b. they were overcharging my sister and son's cards. It was all so confusing. I actually felt very sorry for the wait staff. They were so apologetic. Frankly I think the whole system is ridiculous. Why don't they just let you use the $50 card for canned and charge the card the higher amount? Or better yet, do what the other lines do and stick to Unlimited cards - regardless of what others have posted, I don't believe that it can't be provided in a cost effective way since the other lines are still offering it. HALs soda cards just make it difficult for guests and crew. The entire trip I felt like it was work trying to get a stupid soda. We have never resorted to bringing cans of soda onto a ship before, but this time we toted back a couple of six packs at almost every port because it was easier than trying to get them onboard.

• 2 weeks later...
We received cans for our $50 soda card this summer on the Zaandam. We were even told, we could purchase cans and take them unopened to our room.

"This summer" when? We also got cans on our cruise (Jun3-10), but I think the change occured on the cruise immediately following or the next one. Now, apparently, they are saying it's for fountain drinks (glasses).

:)

The whole idea of this controversy is disappointing to me in that it seems that HAL continues to slide downhill towards the "cheap" end of the cruise industry. I sail HAL a lot more than Carnival, but HAL gets closer to the Carnival experience every cruise I take. It is a sad, sad thing.:(

My wife and I haven't cruised HAL in something like 8 years now. Last time we were on HAL they had beverage stations at the Lido. Since we usually just drink iced tea or iced water are we going to need a beverage card? Do they still have the beverage stations all day at the Lido?

My wife and I haven't cruised HAL in something like 8 years now. Last time we were on HAL they had beverage stations at the Lido. Since we usually just drink iced tea or iced water are we going to need a beverage card? Do they still have the beverage stations all day at the Lido?

Yes they do! :)

Those things and coffee are still at those stations and no card is required.

Here is a recent email I sent to Paul Goodwin, Holland America Executive Vice President, Onboard Revenue, Planning, Port Operations and Tours.

I have yet to receive a response.

Steve

To: pgoodwin@hollandamerica.com (pgoodwin@hollandamerica.com)

Mr. Goodwin,

I am writing as a concerned client of Holland America Line. My wife and I have recently taken up cruising and have only travelled on your fine ships. Our third cruise is planned this coming holiday season.

I like to research my trips and was recently conversing on the CruiseCritic.com message boards about the soda card situation that has recently taken many of your customers by surprise and disbelief http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1667735).

If you take the time to read this thread, you will get a clear sense of the inconsistency, confusion, and frustration of your customers and staff. Companies pay thousands of dollars for focus groups ... I'm asking you to spend 10 minutes of your time for information with the same, if not more, value.

I find it difficult to believe that your organization (which wants to be regarded as one of the higher end lines) is willing to create an experience that leads to dissastifaction of your customers and your staff in order to marginally increase profits. By doing so, you risk creating areas for discontent and/or even losing customers.

I hope that you personally take the time to look at this issue because the answer to maintaining a great customer experience is pretty clear.

You know, I have been lying low on this thread, and just reading along. However I must say I am a little dismayed at the necessity for a can of coke. When I did my Collectors Voyage, on the Noordam, in 2009, we were only given a glass of soda with ice. There were no full cans given out, at all. This wasn't that long ago folks! ;)

So then HAL decides to do cans for a couple years and now everyone is up in arms and complaining the quality of their cruise and the service is lacking. There is a solution, bring your own cans onboard and drink them.

When out to a meal, drink iced tea, water, or buck up and enjoy your fountain coke. Isn't there bigger and better things to worry about than a can of coke????:confused:

You know, I have been lying low on this thread, and just reading along. However I must say I am a little dismayed at the necessity for a can of coke. When I did my Collectors Voyage, on the Noordam, in 2009, we were only given a glass of soda with ice. There were no full cans given out, at all. This wasn't that long ago folks! ;)

So then HAL decides to do cans for a couple years and now everyone is up in arms and complaining the quality of their cruise and the service is lacking. There is a solution, bring your own cans onboard and drink them.

When out to a meal, drink iced tea, water, or buck up and enjoy your fountain coke. Isn't there bigger and better things to worry about than a can of coke????:confused:

In '09 it was a different type of card and the glass of soda was the norm. Since the implementation of these cards the norm has been the "can" which made it a great value for the price. I think some are concerned that this is a bit of "bait and switch" on HAL's part by changing the policy in midstream and the fact that it does not seem to be consistent from cruise to cruise, ship to ship or even bar to bar, on board the same ship.

The whole idea of this controversy is disappointing to me in that it seems that HAL continues to slide downhill towards the "cheap" end of the cruise industry. I sail HAL a lot more than Carnival, but HAL gets closer to the Carnival experience every cruise I take. It is a sad, sad thing.:(

But at least Carnival still has the unlimited soda card.

• 3 weeks later...

This thead is such a disappointment to read.

On our last two cruises (both 14-nights) we made good use of the soda cards, because they were such good value. In fact, we spent more on soda cards than we would have spent on soda if we had been charging each drink separately.

Changing this arrangement really seems to be a case of HAL cutting off its nose to spite its face. If the discount was too deep, there were other ways of addressing it. HAL didn't have to sell $50 cards for as little as $25. But by changing the nature of the drink that's delivered, they've basically made the card worthless. I doubt I'll be buying any more of these now, and I reckon I'll now be spending less at the bar overall.

I had a soda card on my cruise in April and it wasn't worth it. What bothered me the most was that the cans were at ambient temperature, so if I bought one from one of the outdoor bars, it melted most of the ice when I poured it into the glass, which of course watered down both the soda taste AND the fizz. I ended up getting most of my sodas from the Crow's Nest and drinking a lot of iced tea.

Next cruise I will pick up a 12-pack of soda before I board and drink that instead of buying the soda card.

We were on the Zaandam in June (I think, possibily, the last one they did the cans for the soda card). Between DH & I we had 1 1/2 drinks left on the card at the end of the cruise. But, with the change to just getting a glass (1/2 can), we're most likely to bring our own sodas onboard the next time.

:)

Archived