Civitavecchia and Toulon questions on tours

SF

We will be doing a B2B on Reflection and have most of our ports booked with a private tour company except for the 2nd leg of the cruise in Civitavecchia and Toulon.

We would like to visit Tarquinia and we wondering besides going with the ship and taking the local bus are there any taxis at the port who would book a few hours tour or a shuttle tour bus going direct to Tarquinia?

We looked into booking a car but after hearing the deductible charged if the vehicle is lost or stolen we opted not to do that. Couldn't believe even with the insurance and theft protection added in to the cost the deductible was still 1800E!!!

Also, I tried most of the known tour agencies for Toulon and they were either booked or didn't reply. Does anyone know of any other companies?

Would you visit Cassis or Avignon? We plan on visiting Aix de Provence also.

That seems an awfully high price for a deductible for insurance. We just rented a car and drove from Paris to Provence, had the car for four days, used a credit card that included insurance and paid only 218 Euros total for the rental.

IMO, you are planning to do too much for this one port stop.

That seems an awfully high price for a deductible for insurance. We just rented a car and drove from Paris to Provence, had the car for four days, used a credit card that included insurance and paid only 218 Euros total for the rental.

IMO, you are planning to do too much for this one port stop.

We are not planning to do all this on one day. We have a B2B and will be returning to the same port again. As for the car I haven't checked into renting in France as of yet but for Italy theft protection is required and like I mentioned above even with the regular insurance when I asked the lady the deductibles she quoted 1800E. I even asked twice as I couldn't believe how high that was. The car itself to rent was quite inexpensive around 127E for the day for an automatic but we didn't feel we wanted to take a chance should the car get stolen having to pay 1800.00 Euro.

We rent cars in Europe often and find them quite reasonable if you book in advance and get quotes from the European suppliers such as SIXT. There are others as well.

If you are sticking to the big US agencies and ordering a large car with automatic transmission you will pay considerably more.

More often than not we get something with almost 0 deductable. We currently have cars booked in Portugal and Italy at rates nowhere near those rates or deductables.

Shop around.

We definitely need an automatic car so that in itself is a problem. As for the deductible quoted for Civitavecchia I still don't understand how it can be so high. We've rented cars before in various places in Europe and never had such a high deductible quoted.

Now I'm trying to find a rental for Toulon and am having trouble with that also. Wanted a private tour but they seem to be a lot more expensive here for a small party so it looks like we may have to take a ship tour which we really don't want to.

I think our ship will dock at La Seyne Sur Mer and Avis is sold out of automatic cars. Is there a Hertz nearby or does Sixt have an 800 number to call. I'd rather not book online as I have several questions.

Archived