Rhine Cruise - Recommended alternative activities?

MarkBearSF

We're taking the AMACello on a the standard Rhine cruise (Amsterdam - Basel) next year.

This is our first river cruise, however we've taken 25 ocean voyages. On our typical cruise, for most of our port calls, I research and come up with alternative excursions to the ship offerings. Certainly, for those trips, a major consideration is excursion cost; the cruise line mark-up is substantial. Even more important - we're almost always able to come up with a superior experience - using alternative tour providers and solo sightseeing.

Of course, on river cruises, these days, (most) excursions are provided, so cost ceases to be s significant factor, and I understand the sightseeing situation and offerings are also quite different from ocean cruising. Given this, I'm expecting that the included excursions are a reasonable default choice. However, I'm still itching for a "special" experience. Does anybody have recommendations for unique attractions or tours that were different from the usual ones and which require advance research or arrangements?

I realize that different lines may have slightly different offerings, but looking at the itineraries for the majors, the stops are almost identical (and in small towns, I'm sure they all cover the same points of interest) - so I'd expect that the excursions are more similar than different.

The stops are:

Cologne

Rudesheim (I'm expecting everybody visits Sigfried's Museum - on a tour or not)

Speyer (optional bus to Heidelburg - I hate busses, but is it worth it?)

Strasbourg

Breisach/Colmar (optional trip to the Black Forest)

For what it's worth, we're a gay couple, ages 57 & 64, are healthy and walk a lot but are not interested in athletic activity for its own sake (sports - what's that?). We enjoy art, food, drinks, culture and pretty much anything quirky, creative or gay. We're not afraid of (easy) public transportation.

Thanks!

Mark

I am not sure how AMA included tours work but ours were a walking tour of the town then free time.

Most you could DIY with some research

We did the museum in Rudeshiem & some did the cable car ride to the top of the hill (admission was included in our tour)

I walked around the town ;)

Cologne was interesting with a guide so you do not miss the story behind the town ..The Cathedral was DIY ..lots of shops & cafes to enjoy (depending on your time there)

Some ports we only had 2-3 hours there others longer but the ship may drop you at a different port then pick you up later

Plan for the unexpected.

I did the trip in the opposite direction on Avalon this year. We had a stop in Speyer with no included tour and just had free time to wander the town. However, we did have a full stop in Heidelberg that included a walking tour of the town as well as the castle. I really enjoyed the castle and some of the stories behind it. I'm not sure if winetasting is included for you in Rudesheim, but it was for us and I really enjoyed this as well. I did take the cable car up to the top. It had great views!!

In Speyer, we opted to stay in town and do the Technology Museum. It is easy to walk to from the boat - and has everything from cars, to trains, to musical instruments... and a section on space travel as well.

Not sure if that is something that would interest you...

Here is the link.

http://speyer.technik-museum.de/en

Fran

We cruised with Uniworld on the Rhine. The Rhine's scenery is in itself is outstanding. Heidelberg is well worth the bus ride, which isn't very long. The Mechanical museum is a little hokey but fun and the house really interesting. I think you will love Strasbourg. We did the canal cruise through Petite France and the guided tour. After that we spent the rest of the day and were sorry to leave when we did. Part of the charm was this was during the Christmas season and our guide had told us where to find the Christmas market favored by the locals. We loved the Rhine Valley so much that this past June we rented a car and rented an apartment in the area. We were very, very sorry to leave.

There is a great book called"Castles Along the Rhine" that you can order through Amazon. It gives the history of most castles you will be passing.

Also we did a Rhine and Danube cruise in 2010. The story and pictures are on our website.

There is a great Christmas store in Strasbourg (old town) that is open all year... if you want a taste of what is sold at the Christmas markets.

No - it is not Kathy Wolfarts...

Fran

Archived