Santorini Water Taxi

mace1942

Thank you so much for this information. Did you go as a group over to NST? I'm wondering if my husband and I just walk up without being in a group if we will be able to use this service?

NST has a website, just google nst and santorini. We just walked up and there was no problem. They were very pleasant and informative at their sales desk at the tender pier

I arranged with Captn. Stathis to meet at Fira old port by tenders- We have room for 4 more people- The plan is to take the Celebrity tour of Oia, thereby avoiding line for cable car and dealing with Donkeys. Tour ends near the cable cars to go down to Fira, sometime between 11 and 12 pm- Line shouldn't be too busy going down at that time. Grab a quick lunch in Fira and then meet Stathis by the pier. He will then take us to volcano, hot springs, and a couple of refreshing swim stops before returnng to Fira pier to catch tenders going back on ship. I posted this on role call. Anyway, on whatever sailings/cruiseline you are on, you might want to make arrangements with him. Anita

I arranged with Captn. Stathis to meet at Fira old port by tenders- We have room for 4 more people- The plan is to take the Celebrity tour of Oia, thereby avoiding line for cable car and dealing with Donkeys. Tour ends near the cable cars to go down to Fira, sometime between 11 and 12 pm- Line shouldn't be too busy going down at that time. Grab a quick lunch in Fira and then meet Stathis by the pier. He will then take us to volcano, hot springs, and a couple of refreshing swim stops before returnng to Fira pier to catch tenders going back on ship. I posted this on role call. Anyway, on whatever sailings/cruiseline you are on, you might want to make arrangements with him. Anita

We were fortunate to be able to book Stathis from Ammoudi below Oia to Fira before the rules change! There were 6 in my group and finding 6 more was easily accomplished via our roll call. You are early in your planning (I only "found" Stathis via the internet @3 weeks before the Silhouette left Rome, and a lucky find he was!) so don't worry if the remaining 4 pax for your boat tour with him don't jump aboard until closer to saildate...

i will be on Nieuw Amsterdam/Holland America in Santorini. Do all ships tender into the port, or are some in terminal? How long does the tender ride take?

Can you get back to the ship withput hqving to gomfown stairs or take cable car.

Thanks in advance for help.

Oldest of Eight

Hello,

Yes, all ships tender at this port. I'm not sure how long the tender ride takes but can let you know in 3 weeks! :D

The only way to avoid taking the cable car or the stairs back down to the ship (this can involve quite a wait if many ships are there) is to have a boat drop you off at the Fira pier. That is what we will be doing. We have chartered a boat with Stathis to pick us up at the port below Oia, do a 2 hour cruise and then we will be dropped off at the pier below Fira. Through our Roll Call we gathered a group of 12 people to charter the boat. The total for the 2 hours came to 20 euro per person.

I am really sad to use these words, but really it was an amazing bad day....

We were cruising on Costa Atlantica and We got to Santorini's Caldera early in the morning, we didn't take any excursion from the cruise, but we tried to do on hour own...so to let you understand in few words what we lived:

when we arrived at the old port of Fira, there was not a big cue, but we decided to take the "oia excursion by traditional boat to dakoutros"...only 20 euros..but...the boat was not waiting at the port...it arrived after 30-40 minutes, we changed 2 times boat in the port without departing...after a total of 90 minuetes waiting we were informed that the tour was not running anymore for fakes problems...we were 10 people on board. we had the refund and we decide to buy the same excursion but with tenders of NST, a blue office in a corner. in 10 minutes the tender left, in 10 minutes we reached Oia port, in 5 minutes we got on top...25 minutes to be in Oia...I was ready to cry...Why F...I wait at the port for 2 hours....?? and not only, no limited time in Oia, there is one NST bus to fira' every hour, wine tasting included....at the end it was an unforgettable day!! thanks NST one more time...so travellers PAY ATTENTION!!! SAVE YOUR MONEY AND YOUR TIME!

ENJOY YOUR CRUISES!!

Roby57

• 2 weeks later...

In July 2012, we were off our ship (HAL) about 8:00 a.m., paid 20E pp to take the "speed boat" right to Oia from the tender dock. Do not go up the hill to Fira -- there are two agencies that will be happy to take your money. We chose the first agency, can't recall the name. The boat fit a lot of people, and there was a little wait until the boat was full. The boat ride was pleasant, and they will bus you up the hill to Fira, dropping you off by a couple of small grocery stores. Popped in for some bottle water (it was well over 100 the day we were there), and spent two hours exploring Oia.

At that point, we headed back to the spot where were dropped off, and got back on the chartered bus (included in our 20E price) back to Fira.

My parents took the cable car down (about 20 minute wait in the afternoon with 2 ships in port). My sister took the donkey. I walked down -- if it was so darn hot -- it wouldn't have been that so bad. The donkeys weren't so bad but, the slippery steps made it a slow walk.

• 3 weeks later...

We took the traditional boat to Oia a couple fo weeks ago and came back also by boat round the other islands. It was a fantastic trip and for 15 euro the best bargain any of us had on our trip.

• 4 weeks later...
We took the traditional boat to Oia a couple fo weeks ago and came back also by boat round the other islands. It was a fantastic trip and for 15 euro the best bargain any of us had on our trip.

So, can you please tell me how and where you got this trip. I liked the idea of it, how do I go about duplicating it?

Thanks for any and all information.

Liv:o

• 2 weeks later...
Italiantraveller, thank you for your post. How long did you have to wait for enough passengers to make the trip? Did the boat operator require a certain number of passengers before he would make the trip?

I suggest checking to see how many ships will be in port on your day. There were 5 or so when we were there and people were scrambling to get on a boat once they realized the cable car line up was so long. Our boat left within minutes of us purchasing tickets.

• 3 months later...

firstcarib, thank you for the reply. This helps a lot. I think I will go ahead and make a reservation and also put it out to our 'roll call'. Like you, I want to avoid the cable car and the little donkeys. We want to do the hike from Oia back to Fira so we would just skip the return trip. When we get to Fira from our hike we can look around there and take the cable cars if they are not too backed up or we will walk down the steps. This depends on the weather that day (we will be there the first week of May).

Is anyone on this trip, looking to use this tour? We have no roll call on cruise critic. Sad. We are on three cruises, and not sure of this MSC thing. Terrible website, and definitely want to get to oia, and do it on our own!

Gone away (Sue)

Is anyone on this trip, looking to use this tour? We have no roll call on cruise critic. Sad. We are on three cruises, and not sure of this MSC thing. Terrible website, and definitely want to get to oia, and do it on our own!

Gone away (Sue)

We are on MSC leaving Venice May 5. Is there a Fantasia roll call? I've not found one. Sue

Archived