bermuda, kings wharf

beer1234

Although I,ve been to Bermuda twice I'm sort of leary about this Kings Wharf docking. On the the other trips we stayed in Hamilton and everything was so close. This Kings wharf seems like it's in the middle of nowhere! Why doesn't RCCL dock in Hamilton anymore??? Would love to hear the ups and downs of Kings Wharf..

Too many ships want to dock at Hamilton at the same time. Also going to the Voyager class ships means they can't -too large and too dangerous a passage. Kings Wharf- the dockyards can accomodate larger ships.

I have cruised to Bermuda for the last 3 years in a row and have always docked in King's Wharf. I have been all over the island and have seen where the other ships dock.Yes Hamilton is the center of all the main shoppping and restaurants but Kings Wharf has alot to offer also. Ever year I go back I seem to find something else that I missed the previous year. I think it is a great location to dock. I am going again soon and guess what? Docking at Kings Wharf. This year Snorkel Park Beach is up and running. The Clocktower Mall is right there for shopping. 3-4 restaurants.I think it is one of the best views that you can get on the whole island.Very convient for buses/ferries.

I never give it a second thought to go into King's Wharf.

you can check my photos of Kings Wharf if you like.

http://community.webshots.com/user/trvlexprt

Carol :)

trvlexprt

Nice pics. How far is Horseshoe from Kings Wharf. I read somewhere that it is closer than Hamilton. How did you get there? This is important as I'll be spending most of my time there!!! I love that beach.

Jeanette,

I love going there also!!!

I have taken the bus and taxies. Although the bus is cheaper,much more convient to do a taxi. Taxi ran about $20-25 each way plus tip and took about 20-25 minutes. Much more relaxing than the bus.I just didn't care for the bus.(The driver that I had was soooo nice and very informative, it was like a mini tour)

Alot of people on the bus of course and if you are not familiar on where you are going it can be a hassle. I missed the stop for Horseshoe Bay one time since I had no idea where I was to get off,even though the driver announces the stops it was hard to hear because of all the people on board.

If you don't mind paying the extra money,taxi is the way to go.

Also grab some other people and split the fare.I think most vehicles carry 5-6 passengers at a time.$25 divided by 4-6 is not bad at all.

:) Carol

Having cruised to Bermuda about 10 times, I can confirm that the Dockyard is not the ideal location. It comes in third place behind Hamilton and St. George as far as location, facilities and decor. The only one unique thing about staying in the dockyard is that you have a fantastic view or the Bermuda Prison and can get some great photos of their "SINGSING." You can't miss the prison since it is the largest structure at the dockyard aside from the fort which was turned into a museum.:)

trvlexprt:

Those were the best pictures I have seen of the Voyager. Even Royal Caribbean's website does provide the detail that your pictures do. This must be a profession for you, otherwise it should be. Thanks for taking the time to share them with us.

Going to Bermuda for second time in November. This time on Voyager out of Bayonne. We agree about using the taxi for means to get around. 4 of us will be traveling together and we have rented a taxi for the day from 10-6. Only a 5 day cruise so wont be in Bermuda for that long and want to make the most of it. The cost for us was only $35.50 an hour and as you said, divide that by 4 and you are surely going to get your moneys worth.

Thanks again for the great insight on what to expect of the ship. She looks beautiful.

Thanks Optifire!!! I think its all the camera though.Even I am amazed when I load the pictures onto my computer how good they look.

I am going on the Voyager in 2 weeks also to Bermuda so if you want pictures of anything in particular let me know and I will try to get it for you.

Thanks again and have a great weekend!!!!!

Carol

I've docked at Kings Wharf myself a few times, and I loved it.

True, it is a bit isolated, but there are numerous diversions in the area. Should you need to get to Hamilton, there's a ferry stop a few hundred yards from the ship. You'll be in Hamilton in half an hour.

One thing I enjoyed about being docked at KW ... hardly any crowds! And at night it's a quiet experience. No noise except the tree frogs chirping away!

Smeyer: I posted my last comment with you in mind. I knew you'd say something. :)

I've decided no more commentary on "that" beach since last time I nearly caused a riot. (Yes, it was packed again as always). shhhh

trvlexprt;

Would love to know what type of camera you use. Hoping it is one of those easy ones. We have been using an Olympus D380, (2 megapixel) digital camera. It takes great pictures but my husband was looking to buy someting a little more advanced but still easy to use.

Lucky you, going in two weeks. We are never going to make it until November. We will learn for next year. We will have to book one at least by May or June and then another for the end of the year. We usually try to get away twice a year. We booked a trip with our Fire Department to Vegas for this year in September. But now we sort of regret booking it, as when you look at the price of $639.00 each for 5 days which does include airfare, but it does not seem like you get your moneys worth as that will not include any of our food or entertainment. We would have been much better off to book a cruise rather then Vegas. I guess we now know we are cruise addicts right? Ha ha. Your Kings Wharf pictures helped us out alot with a question we had about that stretch from the ship to the Dockyards itself. We didnt know if you had to hoof it from the ship to the Dockyard, but your pictures showed us that the taxis were right there as you disembark and take you over. Which will be good as my sister that is going with us is on oxygen. So we were concerned on that aspect. They say one picture is a thousand words, so please, keep taking those pictures when you go and post them for us. Happy Sails.

Smeyer: I posted my last comment with you in mind. I knew you'd say something. :)

I've decided no more commentary on "that" beach since last time I nearly caused a riot. (Yes, it was packed again as always). shhhh

If you haven't been there how do you know? Its not visible from the road. Its about 1/2 mile from the road to the beach(downhill going down and a dollar a person for a van to take you up or take a taxi back instead of a bus...

I personally will let the people read all the comments on the other thread and see for themselves...

If you haven't been there how do you know? Its not visible from the road. Its about 1/2 mile from the road to the beach(downhill going down and a dollar a person for a van to take you up or take a taxi back instead of a bus...

I personally will let the people read all the comments on the other thread and see for themselves...

Actually we were there last week and if you ride in the back of the bus you can see it. The seats in the back are raised about 3 feet or more and the extra lift gives you one of the best views of most of the beaches from the road. I could even see the Reefs Resort and their beach. Looked very secluded and built into the side of a cliff, but I didn't see anyone on their beach..very suprising.

art

I could even see the Reefs Resort and their beach. Looked very secluded and built into the side of a cliff, but I didn't see anyone on their beach..very suprising.

If it was sunny then there would have been a lot of people on the Reefs' beach. The chairs and umbrellas are futher back so you probably wouldn't have seen them from your vantage point. I was there a few weeks ago and the beach was pretty busy - not many empty chairs.

I actually prefer King's Wharf. They've done a lot of renovations over the last few years, and I think it's one of the prettiest dock sites. It's also very quiet - hardly any traffic at night, so you don't have to breathe in all the fumes from cars and mopeds if you want to take a walk. They've also opened the Snorkle Park which is a 5 minute walk from the ship. It has a small beach but great facilities and good snorkeling - though the coral reefs are in their earliest stages and probably had some damage from the hurricane a couple of years ago. Still there were lots of fish life. The dolphin quest is also there, as well as parasailing. With the availability of buses, taxis, and ferry, being at King's Wharf is absolutely no problem. But again, this is just one gal's opinion.

On Bermuda's map it show's rum cake, pottery and glass blowing stores...

also crafts... Isn't that worth seeing???

We went, its in one big old warehouse in the Dock Yards. Didn't buy anything, but they are constantly making different glass items for you to watch. The rum cakes were good too. But it didn't seem there was much else to do in the Docks unless you went to the Dolphin Encounter, which I thought was too expensive to try. Snorkel Park was nice, but nothing was open there yet, looked like they were getting ready for a big party that night.

art

Pardon me. I was attempting to be humorous by saying I have never been there. I go there everytime I visit Bermuda but strictly for pictures and not swimming. Too crowded for my taste. You really need to lighten up. Notice on my earlier post I have a winking icon. I thought you had a sense of humor. lol.

Optifire,

Actually the camera is a Kodak 3.1 megs.I have had it about 2-3 years so its nothing special.

I know you can get them(cameras) alot bigger now.

I will take ALOT more pictures and post them when I return.

Thanks for the comments :) :)

Carol

Archived