raining on embarkation day in New Orleans, how to protect luggage?

golfntob

Hi,

There is a 50-60% chance of thunderstorms in NOLA this Saturday morning. Never been to the port but I'm guessing that at sometime my luggage will be outside. Should I pack our clothes in trash bags before putting into the luggage? I don't have enough space bags to use those. Any other tips I should think of?

Thanks everyone!

Hi,

There is a 50-60% chance of thunderstorms in NOLA this Saturday morning. Never been to the port but I'm guessing that at sometime my luggage will be outside. Should I pack our clothes in trash bags before putting into the luggage? I don't have enough space bags to use those. Any other tips I should think of?

Thanks everyone!

I would suggest lining the surface of your suitcase with plastic as opposed to putting your clothes in the bags. Just make sure to tape the plastic down.

Any other suggestions?

But the gap from the terminal to the ship is not covered. I've seen crates of luggage sitting out for a long time while waiting on fork lifts to load them to the ship.

Ditto - you see the big steel crates sitting exposed out on the dock for quite a while when you walk up to Empress.......

But a 50-60% chance of T-storms is not that big a deal, imho......

Make sure your luggage tag with room number is laminated or covered with some sort of packing tape also. Last year in New Orleans my bag sat out in rainy weather for a while and my packing tape job was not the best. The ink came off the tag completely. I just happened to pass by elevator when I saw the guys that bring the luggage trying to figure out what room my bag and about 5 others went to. I made sure tags were completely covered this time for Sunday. Have fun!:D

This happened to us one year, it was pouring at embarkation and most of our clothes got really wet. Carnival was great, they laudered all of our clothes free of charge:). I did have to ask though. So, if it happens to you, this is an option. Have a great cruise.

But the gap from the terminal to the ship is not covered. I've seen crates of luggage sitting out for a long time while waiting on fork lifts to load them to the ship.

Maybe your bags will be in the middle of the crate and not get wet:p

We had the experience of checking our bags and a then a huge downpour occurred. Yes the area where we dropped our bags was covered, but the holding bins were open and that is where our luggage got soaked. We opened one of our bags and it had 3 inches of water standing in the bottom of it. Carnival offered to launder all of our clothes. We used them to do some of them and we never did receive all of them back. We lost the tag off of one our suitcases, but it was sitting at customer service with all the rest of the bags that the tags had fallen off of. After our experience we have always carried our bag on with us.

Make sure your luggage tag with room number is laminated or covered with some sort of packing tape also. Last year in New Orleans my bag sat out in rainy weather for a while and my packing tape job was not the best. The ink came off the tag completely. I just happened to pass by elevator when I saw the guys that bring the luggage trying to figure out what room my bag and about 5 others went to. I made sure tags were completely covered this time for Sunday. Have fun!:D

Good advice. Will do that!

Hi,

Thanks everyone!

That's what I would do. Carry on all your electronics, but Im sure you already thought of that!

We are in the same boat (no double pun intended) because we need Pontoons here in Houston with all this horrible storming.

We are also leaving Sunday on the Magic. I got a roll of shrinkwrap from our plant; but I'm sure you could probably do the same with Cling wrap from the grocery store. I plan to wrap each piece just in case it has to sit while loading.

Cling wrap from the grocery store would probably be quite expensive; but it's better than having wet clothing to deal with and nothing to wear.

Good Luck and have fun!

We are in the same boat (no double pun intended) because we need Pontoons here in Houston with all this horrible storming.

We are also leaving Sunday on the Magic. I got a roll of shrinkwrap from our plant; but I'm sure you could probably do the same with Cling wrap from the grocery store. I plan to wrap each piece just in case it has to sit while loading.

Cling wrap from the grocery store would probably be quite expensive; but it's better than having wet clothing to deal with and nothing to wear.

Good Luck and have fun!

Better be really careful packing! If security decides it needs to open your bags, that shrink wrap or cling wrap will be a thing of the past by the time your luggage gets outside.

Read a thread similar to this about a few weeks ago and the OP suggested using the space bags. I thought it made sense b/c they are air tight and aren't suppose to let water or dirt in.

I found a double pack for $14 at Big Lots of medium and large bags, 3 each. I'm sure you can get better deals. But I tried them out on a recent trip and they work pretty good, just gotta make sure you get the ones that allow you to roll the air out and keep your clothes even as possible when packing or else one side will be thicker than the other and its a pain to pack.

Ditto - you see the big steel crates sitting exposed out on the dock for quite a while when you walk up to Empress.......

But a 50-60% chance of T-storms is not that big a deal, imho......

50-60% of rain in Louisiana, especially below-sea-level New Orleans mean a &0-75% of rain.

Archived