how to dress for early seating for dinner

golf43

We are going to be sailing on the Inspirition July 23.

Since this will be our first time cruising on a Carnival cruise ship, what kind of clothes does one need for dinner?

Do we dress up each night or can we wear casual clothes like dockers to dinner.

There will be 1 or 2 "formal" nights on the cruise depending on whether it is a 5 or 7 day. For those, a suit is the norm but others go with a just tie and jacket or all out with a tux. For every other night, khakis and a nice golf shirt or short sleeve dress shirt are fine.

From Carnival's website:

What should I pack?spacer.gifThe first thing to remember is that you're on vacation and you are aboard one of our "Fun Ships" to have a good time. The second thing to remember is to travel light. If you keep those two things in mind, you should do just fine.

Casual attire and resort wear is the order of the day both on board and in port. Shorts, slacks, sundresses, blouses, etc., are in line for women. Clothing for men is just as casual. You should bring a pair of rubber-soled sandals or sneakers to wear on deck and a pair of good walking shoes. You might also want to consider bringing along a sweater or jacket for cool evenings and inexpensive rain gear in case of a sudden shower. Women may want to bring along a hat or scarf. You'll have a chance to dress up on two nights during 7 day or longer cruises (one night on shorter cruises) for the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner. On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner.

For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido Restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit; Capri pants NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

When I sailed Carnival before, it seemed anything went for the regular dinners. I saw women in simple sundresses, bermuda shorts, capris etc, and men in shorts and t-shirts.

And I, on the other hand, have seen people in tees and shorts refused entry into the dining room, by the Maitre 'd. (Good for him!) That type clothing belongs in the casual Lido dining area.

ONLY on the first night does Carnival relax the dress code to include shorts/tees - and then only because luggage may not have arrived in time to change for dinner.

ONLY on the first night
Destiny will be the one exception to that rule. There will be 3 nights that shorts are allowed. 1st night, Barbados night and Aruba night. Because new passengers will be boarding from those ports
and then only because luggage may not have arrived in time to change for dinner.

And I, on the other hand, have seen people in tees and shorts refused entry into the dining room, by the Maitre 'd. (Good for him!) That type clothing belongs in the casual Lido dining area.

Now there is a Maitre d' who deserves a tip.

We saw everything when we went on the Miracle, the first night was definitely a relaxed dress code. I just packed some dress pants, a nice skirt and two black dresses for the more formal nights. My husband wore a suit for formal nights and the rest of the nights wore dockers and a golf shirt.

I understand there are people who prefer to dress up for dinner. I just happen to be not one of them. On both ships I have always gone to dinner casually dressed. Cropped pants and a t-shirt or maybe a cotton jacket.

Some of you may be in a situation where you can afford to bring a lot of clothes, or where you can buy a lot of new clothes for a trip. Again, I am not one of them. I am taking my 15 year old son, and we are planning on having a wonderful time. But no way am I adding to the expenses by buying clothes I would never wear again after the cruise.

Like I said: I have never been denied admittance to the dining room, not even on formal nights.

(PS: just for a visual....look at my picture here. I would probably wear something like that with white jeans instead of blue jeans)

I saw a couple of girls turned away from lunch in the Dining Room because they were wearing tank tops over bathingsuits.

My DH took two pairs of dockers and dress pants for formal nights. He wore either a polo shirt or short sleeve button down cotton shirt with the dockers. Jacket, shirt and tie with dress pants on formal nights. I wore capri pants, skirts, tops, sandals, etc., for casual nights and black cocktail dress for formal nights. Some people dressed up more and some less. Wear whatever is comfortable for you...we loved getting dressed up since we knew we wanted some photos and they came out great. Not many times during the year we get dressed up like we did on the ship. We took way too many clothes and didn't even have to do laundry which we typically do on cruises. We made a list the last evening of our cruise of what we need to take next time. Way less than what we took this year and I thought I had cut back!

We are going to be on a 5 day sailing out of Tampa. These replies really help.

I don't mind dressing up once in awhile. However I like to be comfortable. So dockers would be great for us, unless its the formal night.

Thanks all.

Shorter cruises are no less casual than longer ones. I'm usually on five-nighters, and yes, one formal night, but just as nice as the longer cruises I've been on. Even on the 2-night CTN, I saw plenty of very dressy gowns and a few tuxs.;)

Archived