Possibly stupid question about dressing for dinner :)

twoofthem

I read no 'flip flops' in the MDR. How strictly is that enforced? I ask because I had planned to pack more casual dresses for dinner for all but formal night and I had planned on wearing a nicer pair of simple black flip flops with them. I am trying to pack as simply as I can and now I'm wondering if I need something a little more dressy in the shoe department.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
I read no 'flip flops' in the MDR. How strictly is that enforced? I ask because I had planned to pack more casual dresses for dinner for all but formal night and I had planned on wearing a nicer pair of simple black flip flops with them. I am trying to pack as simply as I can and now I'm wondering if I need something a little more dressy in the shoe department.

Just not rubber (cheap) flip flops. I have always worn the nice flip flops, not just on Carnival but other lines without a problem. I don't ever remember anyone being stopped because of the nice flip flops, so pack away.

I just got off the ship today and I saw lots of ladies wearing the nice flip flops to dinner...even a few on formal night. The dress code actually specifies no BEACH flip flops allowed...whatever that means.

I think you'll be fine.

I have had square feet since birth (EE width as an infant, and same 30 years later) and it costs a FORTUNE to buy sandals and dress shoes that don't kill me, and then they are usually as ugly as homemade sin! So... I do usually wear Old Navy flip flops with EVERYTHING! Yup even to the MDR on non elegant nights with my sundresses. I've been doing it since 2007 and 12 cruises later I've never been asked to change or even questioned. I do have separate pairs that are for the beach/pool and (since they are so cheap!) have one (or 2 or 3) pair in every color so they always match my dress pretty perfectly. I even cheat a little on elegant night and wear patent leather flip flops that my mom found is some store a couple years back in FL. They have a little bow over the 3rd toe and are simple black patent leather all over. I've never been questioned with those either. It may help that, dispite their squareness I do have "cute toes" that are always perfectly pedicured on vacation.

Ultimately, you're on VACATION, and your feet should be happy too! If heels and straps make them sad like they do mine, the flip-flop it up. Just make sure they are at least presentable... And for the love of Pete ladies, get a good pedicure before you cruise! :p

I questioned my attire too. Just got off liberty and if I had to do it again would dress up with heals. I had a long skirt, nice blouse and fancy flip flop sandals and honestly felt under dressed. Some people told me to dress up more but some said I would be fine but I would dress up more just my opinion. I would wear a slight sandal heal with a really nice dress next time.

Wear your sandals and enjoy your cruise, you will be just fine. There are those that will complain, let them.

I do agree about the pedicure comment. My heels can slice through metal after a few weeks if I dont get a pedicure, I am a regular at my local nail joint.

I have a dressy pair of sandals & a beach pair. Very simple. If shoe is covered in sand, then wear the dress shoes. If headed to the beach & shoe is nice & clean with fancy frillies to make them look prettier, you're wearing the wrong shoe. change into the shoe covered in sand.

Husband can follow this rule. Mostly.

There was a woman who didn't even have a shirt on

Now we're talking! Carnival really does have a loose dress code! :eek:

she had a bikini top with a bathing suit skirt (whatever they are called lol).

Oh, never mind :cool:

Wow call me lame but for my recent cruise last month all I packed was 2 pairs of super fancy high heels, 2 cheapy Old Navy flip flops, and one pair of tennis shoes. And I wore my 2 fancy heels on both formal nights. Every other day in the MDR I wore my cheapy Old Navy flip flops with nice summer dresses. Never got stopped or anything. On those evenings DH wore either tennis shoes or flip flops (not Old Navy though).

It says no beach flip flops. What you are wearing will be fine but as a PP said, you may (or may not) feel underdressed.....

We are sailing on Carnival Dream in 3 weeks time :D. This is our first time on Carnival as the majority of our cruises have been with RCCL. So, will my 2 sons be ok in Jeans and a T-Shirt in the Main Dining room on all the evenings (except the 2 formal)? I really dont want to buy them a new wardrobe only for them never to wear the clothes again :eek:

Thanks very much

Debs

it's basically so you don't fall on yer bumm. those floors get slippery when liquid gets on them.

I read no 'flip flops' in the MDR. How strictly is that enforced?

WHY do people ask how strictly RULES are enforced.. wow.. one should always consider a rule a rule.. and obey the rules that are in place. They are there for a reason.. not so you can question whether you can disobey the rules.. wow.. never ceases to amaze me..

WHY do people ask how strictly RULES are enforced.. wow.. one should always consider a rule a rule.. and obey the rules that are in place. They are there for a reason.. not so you can question whether you can disobey the rules.. wow.. never ceases to amaze me..

I'm applauding this post! And seconding it!

Mosiegirl, while I get your comment I have to disagree when it comes to this particular question and here's why: we just got off the Conquest and literally ther were different " rules" in the Fun times each night. I'm not talking about elegant night versus regular night either. On back to back regular nights the rules in the fun times were comp,etely different. One said " no athletic shorts, caps sleeveless shirts or flip flops." The next night simply said " no shorts or sleeveless shirts ". So if "rules are to be followed, they should be consistent.sorry for typos, difficult on phone.

You can have flip flops made out of leather, or rubber, or macrame or whatever material, with sequins and beads and flashing lights. But it's like putting lipstick on a pig - a flip flop is a flip flop is a flip flop. In MY opinion, they aren't suitable footwear for a restaurant.

Whether the Fun Times tells you you can wear them or not, and regardless of how diligently they enforce whatever rules are in effect for that day, I don't like them, don't wear them myself, and don't like seeing people wearing them other than at the pool or the beach.

Again, my opinion.

This is the attire I just witnessed in the MDR on elegant night....No one in a gown, most with basic sun dresses, some in capris or shorts. For the men... A handful in shirts and ties, a few suits, No tuxedos, most in khakis and polo shirts.

Archived