NCL Majesty hits yachts in Bermuda

smeyer418

Anyone who has sailed the Majesty to Bermuda should remember that the Majesty stops before entering the cut to bring on board one of the harbor pilots to guide the ship to Ordinance Island. I would think he would be the one to blame for bringing the ship in during such windy conditions. Ultimately it is the harbor master who makes the decision to let the ships in or not depending on the weather conditions.

It my understanding that even though there is a Pilot aboard the captain(master) is still in charge and responsible to determine whether to go into the harbor or not. The Captain never cedes control but only relies on the pilot for their knowledge of the harbor. The Harbor master can close the harbor but as long as it is open its up to the Captain to safely navigate the ship

It my understanding that even though there is a Pilot aboard the captain(master) is still in charge and responsible to determine whether to go into the harbor or not. The Captain never cedes control but only relies on the pilot for their knowledge of the harbor. The Harbor master can close the harbor but as long as it is open its up to the Captain to safely navigate the ship

It is MY understanding that it is the ONLY time that the Captain is not in control of his ship, when the pilot is aboard.

I will have to look this up:confused:

Compulsory Pilotage

"Pilot is in command and in complete control in the navigation and docking of vessel. It is the pilot who supersedes the master for the time being in the command and navigation of the ship and his orders must be obeyed in all respects connected with her navigation".

PILOT

A person who is qualified to assist the master of a ship to navigate when entering or leaving a port.

different definition LOL I am not sure who is in charge this is from the Univesity of Michigan where does yours come from?

PILOT

A person who is qualified to assist the master of a ship to navigate when entering or leaving a port.

different definition LOL I am not sure who is in charge this is from the Univesity of Michigan where does yours come from?

It came from a lawsuit when a ship hit a peir:eek: The definition was in the lawsuit.

So I went to look up who was in charge under Bermudian law. Its not all that clear but here is an interesting section under the law

Limited liability of pilot

50 (1) A pilot employed as such on a ship navigating in the waters of Bermuda shall not be liable in damages for neglect or want of skill in respect of any damage done to or by such ship to any greater extent than six hundred dollars.

(2) Subject to subsection (1) and section 52, no person, body corporate or other authority whatsoever shall be liable in respect of any damage arising from the neglect or want of skill of a pilot when employed as such on a ship navigating in the waters of Bermuda.

(section 52 has to do with hiring an unlicensed pilot)---

I wonder if they have determined if the propeller(s) are damaged? OR will they find that out on Friday when they leave port and the ship starts vibrating loudly?

I am going on the 5/22 sailing, hopefully there is no damage to the ship....I have a cabin in the aft section and would not be keen on listening to excessive vibration!!

I'm glad no one was hurt.

I wonder if they have determined if the propeller(s) are damaged? OR will they find that out on Friday when they leave port and the ship starts vibrating loudly?

I am going on the 5/22 sailing, hopefully there is no damage to the ship....I have a cabin in the aft section and would not be keen on listening to excessive vibration!!

I'm glad no one was hurt.

If the propeller is damaged............believe me, it will not be sailing........that will be the least of your worries:rolleyes:

So I went to look up who was in charge under Bermudian law. Its not all that clear but here is an interesting section under the law

Limited liability of pilot

50 (1) A pilot employed as such on a ship navigating in the waters of Bermuda shall not be liable in damages for neglect or want of skill in respect of any damage done to or by such ship to any greater extent than six hundred dollars.

(2) Subject to subsection (1) and section 52, no person, body corporate or other authority whatsoever shall be liable in respect of any damage arising from the neglect or want of skill of a pilot when employed as such on a ship navigating in the waters of Bermuda.

(section 52 has to do with hiring an unlicensed pilot)---

$600.00:eek: :eek: That stinks!!! "want of skill" Geez, anybody could get that job if he had a mind to:rolleyes:

If the propeller is damaged............believe me, it will not be sailing........that will be the least of your worries:rolleyes:

I disagree Seahorse.....it depends on the extent of the damage....if the ship is still "usable"....they will sail it...and wait till the next dry dock to repair.....it's an economic decision.....

LOL you never know what you will find by looking around. I still don't know who's in charge...I tried the USCG website and that wasn't any help. There is no explicite section that says its the Pilot or the Master but I put my understanding above...I can understand not making the Pilot liable for ths ship but this seems to leave the Yacht SOL...(simply out of luck)

yes I know that isn't what it means but this is a family board.

Poped in to look at the POA and saw this thread. This was beat to death on the RCI boards when Grandure hit the pier in Costa Maya.

The Captain is always in charge of the ship. The Captain knows his ship better than anyone else and how it reacts in different conditions. The pilot is along as an observer and to provide their knowledge of the local waters. Things like currents, how wind reacts in the port and any port obstructions the Captain needs to be aware of. The pilot is never in control of the ship only making suggestions to the Captain.

Hope our plans for Hawaii in 07 can happen would love to spend a week on one of NCLA's ships there.

Poped in to look at the POA and saw this thread. This was beat to death on the RCI boards when Grandure hit the pier in Costa Maya.

The Captain is always in charge of the ship. The Captain knows his ship better than anyone else and how it reacts in different conditions. The pilot is along as an observer and to provide their knowledge of the local waters. Things like currents, how wind reacts in the port and any port obstructions the Captain needs to be aware of. The pilot is never in control of the ship only making suggestions to the Captain.

Hope our plans for Hawaii in 07 can happen would love to spend a week on one of NCLA's ships there.

Is that written in stone anywhere? If it is, I would like to see it please. Just call me Skeptical Annie:p

As a qualified officer in the US Navy, Naval regulations state that the Captain is always in charge for safe navigation of the ship EXCEPT when under the control of a Canal Pilot in the Panama Canal and when entering a drydock. Unless Bermuda law is differant, the Captain, not the pilot is in charge of safe navigation of the ship, the pilot is there as an advisor - but a smart Captain will listen to a bar Pilot (Bar Pilots bring the ship into the harbor, the harbor Pilot docks the ship, many times one and the same person) who has extensive local knowledge and experience.

As a qualified officer in the US Navy, Naval regulations state that the Captain is always in charge for safe navigation of the ship EXCEPT when under the control of a Canal Pilot in the Panama Canal and when entering a drydock. Unless Bermuda law is differant, the Captain, not the pilot is in charge of safe navigation of the ship, the pilot is there as an advisor - but a smart Captain will listen to a bar Pilot (Bar Pilots bring the ship into the harbor, the harbor Pilot docks the ship, many times one and the same person) who has extensive local knowledge and experience.

That is the US Navy, we are speaking about a commercial vessel. I would assume different laws here:confused:

Archived