NCL Majesty hits yachts in Bermuda

smeyer418

Ann this time I think you should re read as you are either

1. getting argumentative

2. becoming a sea lawyer.

As I said I don't know fer sure but have been told by ship Captains even with a Pilot a board they remain in charge and liable(for their license) if any thing goes wrong. Just as we accept your expertise and statements and even though you are entitled to be skeptical, you should at least acknowledge that other people may know more than you do about this.... and the rules of who is incharge on a ship in the Navy is normally exactly the same in the merchant fleet.

and here is more info from the Sandy Hook Pilots association- the NY-NJ harbor Pilots

http://www.sandyhookpilots.com/overview.asp

still not clear "they take the con"

LOL you never know what you will find by looking around. I still don't know who's in charge...I tried the USCG website and that wasn't any help. There is no explicite section that says its the Pilot or the Master but I put my understanding above...I can understand not making the Pilot liable for ths ship but this seems to leave the Yacht SOL...(simply out of luck)

yes I know that isn't what it means but this is a family board.

Ask Shoreguy, he seems to know everything.

Ann this time I think you should re read as you are either

1. getting argumentative

2. becoming a sea lawyer.

As I said I don't know fer sure but have been told by ship Captains even with a Pilot a board they remain in charge and liable(for their license) if any thing goes wrong. Just as we accept your expertise and statements and even though you are entitled to be skeptical, you should at least acknowledge that other people may know more than you do about this.... and the rules of who is incharge on a ship in the Navy is normally exactly the same in the merchant fleet.

Nope, not argumentative........maybe a sea lawyer tho:rolleyes: I resent the fact that you think other people may know more then I:p :D I have to see it in writing.

What I did see was the "Cumpulsory Piolatage" thing. I will concede that the maritime laws may have changed since then.

No more skepticism. When I have more time I will research this in more depth (pun intended).

I hope you see that this is all in fun, right;) ?

I am not getting in the middle of this. The ship hits yachts. Nobody hurt. Somebody messed up. Captain, pilot, or yacht owner. Not my problem :D

Just figured you would know the answer

Divers can check out the props while the ship is in port. A prop can be changed without a drydock. At least it could way back when the NCL Starward was around. Spare props are kept on the ship for a situation like this. Sometimes you will see them on the foredeck of certain ships. NCL will not let a bent prop stand in the way of revenue.

Divers can check out the props while the ship is in port. A prop can be changed without a drydock. At least it could way back when the NCL Starward was around. Spare props are kept on the ship for a situation like this. Sometimes you will see them on the foredeck of certain ships. NCL will not let a bent prop stand in the way of revenue.

We have all seen spare props. From the Sun Webcam :D

sun508.jpg.167b2c4a7128555f65c1e873e5679b72.jpg

We're 4 days away from cruising. Praying that all is OK. Five months of waiting can't end like this.

Another Patmedia customer, not many of us. I like your countdown clock and hope it turns out to be exactly right. :)

It my understanding that even though there is a Pilot aboard the captain(master) is still in charge and responsible to determine whether to go into the harbor or not. The Captain never cedes control but only relies on the pilot for their knowledge of the harbor. The Harbor master can close the harbor but as long as it is open its up to the Captain to safely navigate the ship

This was a topic on the RCI board last month when one of it's ships hit a pier in Mexico. The wife of the Captain on the Navigator OTS posts on the RCI board. She cleared up this very question. The Captain is always in charge of the vessel even when the pilot is on the ship. She stated that the only place that she has seen the Captain give up control is the Panama Canal.

This was a topic on the RCI board last month when one of it's ships hit a pier in Mexico. The wife of the Captain on the Navigator OTS posts on the RCI board. She cleared up this very question. The Captain is always in charge of the vessel even when the pilot is on the ship. She stated that the only place that she has seen the Captain give up control is the Panama Canal.

Thanks Gordon it was my understanding as well....

I always wondered what those things were on the front of the ship....thanks for clarifying that.

We were told on our first Majesty cruise at one of those talks that the harbor pilot takes the ship through the cut because it is so narrow and tough to navigate. That is what I based my first response on.

I still find it hard to believe that if it was that windy, the harbor master allowed them into St. George at all. He is the one who ultimately says who can and cannot enter the harbor. If it was that bad they should have docked in Hamilton or the Dockyards.

I think from the Captains perspective he had only two choices 1) to go in and smash the yachts 2) not to go in and leave peace in the harbor. The Majesty spends all of it's time in St Georges so if he did not go in where would he go? Not goping in was probablly the safe bet. Needless to say safety and seamanship are a big issue on NCL. Think of the folks in the yacht whatching all this happen and almost getting sucked under the ship. I smell a (another...) NCL lawsuit. Sail NCL if you dare! For that matter if you are in the water and see NCL comming sound the collision alarm and run like hell!

if he didn't go in they would of gone to the dockyard if it was available,,where they go when it is too windy ,,happened a few times last fall...i was on it ...went to dockyard for one night then moved to st georges for the rest of the week...

I think from the Captains perspective he had only two choices 1) to go in and smash the yachts 2) not to go in and leave peace in the harbor. The Majesty spends all of it's time in St Georges so if he did not go in where would he go? Not goping in was probablly the safe bet. Needless to say safety and seamanship are a big issue on NCL. Think of the folks in the yacht whatching all this happen and almost getting sucked under the ship. I smell a (another...) NCL lawsuit. Sail NCL if you dare! For that matter if you are in the water and see NCL comming sound the collision alarm and run like hell!

:eek: I don't care if you have more than 1 post, I still smell a troll!

Can I have your perspective on RCI's Granduer of the Seas capt? Since it's pretty obvious that you're bashing NCL for a weather related issue. The capt had another choice of where to go if the pilot hadn't directed the ship into the harbor

Can I have your perspective on RCI's Granduer of the Seas capt? Since it's pretty obvious that you're bashing NCL for a weather related issue. The capt had another choice of where to go if the pilot hadn't directed the ship into the harbor

Niya,

The best advise is to ignore the.............if you feed it it will NEVER go away:eek:

Just look at his other droppings....er......posts, only one objective in mind has he:rolleyes:

Niya,

The best advise is to ignore the.............if you feed it it will NEVER go away:eek:

Just look at his other droppings....er......posts, only one objective in mind has he:rolleyes:

I know, I know... Sometimes I can't help it. Yeah, I checked his other posts after I had already posted, sorry!

Archived