souvineers for Son

Nadersmom

My 11 year old asked me last night what kind of souvineers I would be bringing back for him from Progresso and Cozumel.

Have never been there so I have no idea what I'll be seeing in the markets.

I asked him what kind of things he would like to have brought back and his response was "cool stuff" :rolleyes:

does anyone have any suggestions or tips on what I'll see in Progresso and Cozumel that may be unique as a souvineer for an 11 year boy?

Hmmm...that's a difficult age. Too old for the kid stuff, and too young for the fun stuff. :D

I'm unfamiliar with Progresso, but in Cozumel there are a few options. I was thinking t-shirts and toys off the top of my head, but there are quite a few shops and stalls that sell hand crafted artisan pieces...carved objects or knick knacks, Mayan style masks, pottery, painted tiles and such. I know a lot of kids think "Day of the Dead" objects and art are pretty cool (at least the kids in my family). There are also unusual candies and edibles for sale. Maybe paper mache or silver pieces?

Wish I could come up with more ideas...

Hmmm...that's a difficult age. Too old for the kid stuff, and too young for the fun stuff. :D

I'm unfamiliar with Progresso, but in Cozumel there are a few options. I was thinking t-shirts and toys off the top of my head, but there are quite a few shops and stalls that sell hand crafted artisan pieces...carved objects or knick knacks, Mayan style masks, pottery, painted tiles and such. I know a lot of kids think "Day of the Dead" objects and art are pretty cool (at least the kids in my family). There are also unusual candies and edibles for sale. Maybe paper mache or silver pieces?

Wish I could come up with more ideas...

Appreciate the ideas. Regarding candies, ect.: this may be a stupid question, but having never travelled outside of US before I just don't know: When we get off of the boat and go thru customs, will any candy ect that I purchased be OK going thru customs?

What type of items are fine with customs, and what type of items will they pay attention to or not let me keep? anything?

Appreciate the ideas. Regarding candies, ect.: this may be a stupid question, but having never travelled outside of US before I just don't know: When we get off of the boat and go thru customs, will any candy ect that I purchased be OK going thru customs?

What type of items are fine with customs, and what type of items will they pay attention to or not let me keep? anything?

Candy is fine. They are concerned with fresh fruits/flowers, tobacco and liquor.

The kids in our families have fallen in love with the little wooden animals that have the "bobbing" heads. Turtles, butterflies, snails, all painted really bright colors and their heads bob. They are really cute! you'll see tiny ones all over the place...about the size of a .50 cent piece, but there are larger (6" or so) that are really cool looking as a kids gift.

:D Hey! I like that idea!!! But how well can I pack a sombrero for the flight home ? Would that have to be "carry on" ? :D

Wear it.

Hang it down your back from the chin cord and when you go through airport security, put it in a bin. When you board the plane, after everyone puts their things in the overhead, juggle some of their things around and find room to store it there. Shouldn't be too difficult. :)

Flight attendant probably would agree to put it in closet or store in for you.

It's software, no metal, nothing that could be considered dangerous and hats have never been counted as a 'carry on' piece. That is clothing you are wearing. :)

They sell them in many sizes. Seeing it is for a child and you have to travel with it, pick one that isn't really large.

how about a wrestling mask? Nacho Libre? :p

My boyfriend got a Washington Redskins one while we were in Cozumel.

We saw a lot of wooden mini guitars and those little shaky wooden things with beans or something in them that you hold and shake:confused: You know what i am talking about LOL. Dont know if he is at that stage where he is "too old" for that.

agc291, we also saw lots of wooden instruments like guitars, flutes, and maracas (the little shaky wooden things you described) in many locations. There were four kids in our party (ages 7 to 14) and they all picked out an instrument to take home as a souvenir.

I think the majority of kids love music, and that might not be a bad choice for a fun memento to bring back.

How much would one expect to pay for a sombrero?

Those sounds awesome! I want one for myself and my little cousin :D

There's a wide range in pricing. Shop around and you might be able to bargain a little. You'll see them in a number of shops.

They come in all sizes all the way up to HUGE. :D

The larger the sombrero, the higher the price.

agc291, we also saw lots of wooden instruments like guitars, flutes, and maracas (the little shaky wooden things you described) in many locations. There were four kids in our party (ages 7 to 14) and they all picked out an instrument to take home as a souvenir.

I think the majority of kids love music, and that might not be a bad choice for a fun memento to bring back.

maracas!!!!! yes! thank you!!!

Wear it.

Hang it down your back from the chin cord and when you go through airport security, put it in a bin. When you board the plane, after everyone puts their things in the overhead, juggle some of their things around and find room to store it there. Shouldn't be too difficult. :)

Flight attendant probably would agree to put it in closet or store in for you.

It's software, no metal, nothing that could be considered dangerous and hats have never been counted as a 'carry on' piece. That is clothing you are wearing. :)

They sell them in many sizes. Seeing it is for a child and you have to travel with it, pick one that isn't really large.

I just may pick one of those up! Think he'd get a kick out of it. LOL I'd wear it.

My son was about 12 when he saw a marionette doll dressed in a Mexican outfit. He got a sombrero instead. Still wishes he got the marionette. The doll was really cute and you could make it dance. I thought it was wierd for him to want that but it was a lot of fun to play with and he was such a card.

There is a chocolate factory in Cozumel (we are going in Dec) that apparently has good chocolate bars in flavors. Food is always good with pre-teen and teen boys

We got our son (11 at the time) a skeleton Pirate bobble head from Nassau (I know you are not going there but) that he loves and his friends always comment on it.

Archived