Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Admin

Reviews of the Week by Iowa cruiser, Smurfjeep, ellay864, itsme_jj & sjcruiser!

Every Thursday, we'll randomly select five cruise reviews to feature here! Plus, we'll send each member a Cruise Critic logo item. This week: Cruise Critic Insulated Sportsbag-- we hope they enjoy it!

Radiance of the Seas Back to back Alaska: Long review, photo link, port options by Iowa cruiser

Radiance of the Seas in Alaska N&S: Long review, photo link, what to pack, and port options. I took back to back Alaska cruises on the Radiance of the Seas (northbound and southbound) in late June and early July, 2012, hoping that at least one of the cruises would have good weather in one of the rainiest parts of America. More about that later.... These were my second and third cruises with Royal Caribbean International, and I was very pleased with RCI and the Radiance in every respect: ship, crew, activities, shore excursions, dining, price, and ports of call. I shall describe each of them in that order and add suggestions on what to pack for Alaska's weather. SHIP: The Radiance is not a new ship (it is about 10 years old), but it is ideal for Alaska cruising because almost every lounge and dining venue has floor to ceiling windows, which afford great views of the Inside Passage. Even the elevators have glass walls, some toward the atrium and some toward the outdoors. Continue reading... Back to back Alaska: Long review, photo link, port options

Norwegian Gem Norwegian Gem 23-30 June by Smurfjeep

First I wanted to thank Norwegian Cruise Lines for providing a rewarding , enjoyable time during our Family reunion-getaway. My family has been through some difficult times over the last year and this was desperately needed. Here is my review: Background Information: I am retired military and enjoy spending time with family and friends on vacations. Live in the Northeast USA, and prefer sailing out of NYC, no airfare required. Travel to port of embarkation: I live in the north east and a majority of my family and friends who went on this cruise also were from the area. We arranged to park in a private lot in Suburban North Jersey and hire a bus to drive us 15 min over into the Port of NY. This cost each of us $120 per family, no cost for the parking. We will do this again if possible. Hotel Info: None used, since the majority of my family and friends are from the NY&NJ area we arranged for a bus to transport us into NYC from Suburban NJ. Continue reading... Norwegian Gem 23-30 June

Celebrity Equinox Great way to start by ellay864

This was our very first ever cruise. We'd got married in October last year and pretty soon after starting planning the wedding we'd talked about doing a cruise for our honeymoon. But budget and timing conspired against us taking a cruise immediately after the wedding, so our guests generously gave us vouchers for a travel agent which we put towards the trip. We had no real idea at all about cruises, which lines were best etc. I had spoken to my manager at work who has done a few but she's done small high end ones we knew were out of our budget. We'd also had an idea we didn't want anything too big, but that was more as we didn't feel a need for water slides, surf pools and climbing walls. At the ages of 53 and 47 we'd both brought up teenagers and done all the fun filled family holidays --we wanted a bit more grown up relaxation! Continue reading...Great way to start

Golden Princess Golden Princess 7/7/12 7 day to Alaska by itsme_jj

This was my 10th and my husbands 5th cruise. This was our second time to Alaska, but first time to Glacier Bay, Skagway and Victoria. Overall Princess did an excellent job and the ship was impeccably kept. EMBARKATION: Our boarding time was at 2pm. We arrived at noon, got priority embarkation and were onboard in about 25 mins. Our cabin was already ready, we dropped out bags and went to the Horizon court, which was busy. I immediately went to check on Sanctuary reservations, but by the time I arrived, they had almost booked everything for Glacier Bay. It would have been $70 for the day per person with a buffet. I decided to pass. STATEROOM: We booked inside guarantee and were put on the Lido deck in a handicap cabin. The cabin was very large with alot of storage space. It was quite convenient as most of the activities we wanted to do were at the top of the ship. We don't get seasick, and didn't mind feel the ship move a little. It was a bit noisy if you tried to take a nap during the day with everyone's door's slamming all the time. At night it was pretty quiet, but I did hear something scraping above in the distance at times, but it didn't keep me awake. Bed was comfortable but the middle seam from joining them caused kinda of a valley so we asked for an egg crate and it was then fine. I also asked them to put a top sheet between the fitted and the covers, and change my comforter as it looked dirty from the laundry machines. The room was very clean, but had rust on the shower drain, and one day when we were out they came and re-caulked it. Continue reading... Golden Princess 7/7/12 7 day to Alaska

Carnival Miracle Wasn't Disappointed with the Miracle by sjcruiser

Carnival Miracle, June 23-July 1, 2012, 8 night Eastern Caribbean Cruise Another cruise under our belt, and we're excitedly searching the internet looking to plan and book the next one. Since we've hit almost every port in the Caribbean except for the very south, maybe we'll try Alaska or the Mediterranean next year. This was a great cruise with family and friends. I tried not to forget anything, so forgive me if I jumped around or listed items in weird sections. Enjoy!!!! This was planned as a long awaited family and friends cruise. The process began last summer with soliciting interest, and as always, everyone has different things that they are looking for or to do, along with port preferences, and of course pricing. We finally booked in January, and had ten left in our party at sailing. No big deal, but I'm glad we didn't book at the group rate months before. When we booked, Carnival had great prices for Military and PA/NJ Residents for Inside Obstructed View/French Door cabins, so we all booked in this category. In April the price dropped for Obstructed View Balconies and we were able to upgrade at no additional cost. A few weeks before our cruise the price dropped again, and we were able to upgrade to extended-balconies mid-ship for $20.00 more total. Continue reading... Wasn't Disappointed with the Miracle

Why not share your own cruise stories by writing and submitting your review! Your could be featured, and *you* could be wearing some logo stuff on your next cruise!

Write a Cruise Review