How do we liven up this board?

Banditswife

Yes, the cost is primarily why we cruise CCL. It does seem Royal is more $. I might check out NCL next year to see if we can swing it. We do own 100 shares of CCL stock which gives us some OBC. I might look at another one of CCL's sister lines. Thanks for the replies.

Smooth sailing all.

I know that Carnival has a bad reputation in some circles, and I admit it still wouldn't be my first choice. That said, I took a 5 night cruise out of Charleston, SC a little over a year ago. I could drive to the port, and I could get a porthole cabin priced as an inside which as a solo cruiser helps.

Anyway, I was on the Fantasy, one of the older ships, and I enjoyed myself because I was on the sea and because I got some needed respite. Also, the ship was fine. I especially liked the area that was adults only.

Beth

Edited by ILoveScotland

I can cruise any ship....I have cruised RCCL and Carnival and an older ship from a very long time ago, I think Fantasy Cruise out of Miami. I love them all! Just make the most of your cruise experience and have a ball!

I agree. My first big ship (as opposed to the Windjammers) was on the old Norwegian Majesty. I knew nothing about the cruise lines or protocol or anything else. And even on that ship I was hooked. I like the activities and shows okay. I like the food. But I cruise for the sea, and that means any ship is ultimately okay if it's clean and safe.

I am ok on any ship - as long as I am on a cruise - stuck with RCCL cuz of the points we were accummulating - went on Princess once to Alaska - small ship, Fair Princess, quaint, cute and I loved it - built in 1957 - we couldn't even move the twin beds they had in our stateroom!

Twice on Celebrity and the rest of the 35 or so with RCCL - all good - when Narce retires, we can experiment more - would love to try HAL -

Carol

Howdy all, thanks for all the input. Yes we've stuck with CCL because they seem cheaper, plus now we've got 5 cruises w/ them. Any cruise would be good tho. We (hubby & I) love to be on any boat or ship. CCL has had so many cutbacks, but I guess all cruiselines have too. The one RCI we did was our 1st cruise & was on a smaller ship to Alaska. Loved that cruise, but then found we liked the larger ships better because of activities & such.

Have a great day all.

Now, Corkey, that's a lot of cruising! Hubby is still working so we feel blessed to be able to cruise every few years. I think after he retires.....someday....he wants to go to Mount Rushmore and out west....but I love the sea, and the ship, and the music and the islands......

Now, Corkey, that's a lot of cruising! Hubby is still working so we feel blessed to be able to cruise every few years. I think after he retires.....someday....he wants to go to Mount Rushmore and out west....but I love the sea, and the ship, and the music and the islands......

I am nothing compared to some of the others I know on CC - two ladies just reached their 100th cruise each - wow! if we even do 2/yearly, it would take me another 33 years to reach that stat!! ha!ha! I'd be 200 yrs old! I just love the atmosphere of the ship - plus being spoiled from not having to cook or clean - also the ports - love walking around and sightseeing... carol

Would love to take more than 1 cruise a year but weve only been getting 2 weeks vacation,1 for cruising and one that we split in 1/2...1/2 Montauk fishing and 1/2 Atlanti city. Hopefully when we retire we will be able to afford more than one a year.

We didn't start cruising til we were a bit older. Now we do about 1 per year. Will most likely do more once I retire. We do land vacations too. We shoot for at least one week land & one week sea.

sombrero6- we did Mount Rushmore a few years back, I really enjoyed it. Try Michigan for a combo land & water vacation. I absolutely loved Mackinac Island & the upper peninsula. Took some boat tours, Lakes Superior, Michigan & Huron--almost like being on a cruise.

Have a great weekend all, (this is my Friday) am on vacation tomarro cause sis is up from Fort Worth. Trying to get her on a cruise has proven impossible.

Have a good weekend everyone -

Would love to see more of our USA - the Michigan area sounds beautiful and Beth, would love to discover more the Carolina's as well - one of my friends just drove from Las Vegas to Quebec and they stopped all over - our goal, to drive coast to coast and then go up to the Eastern part of Canada -

Mt Rushmore too and the Tetons - also, GraceLand and Branson!!

I need energy for all this! We also do Hawaii and the Philippines every Jan as my husband's Dad retired in the PHilippines 20 yrs ago - he is 95 and we visit him yearly, sometimes I go, and most of the time I don't - I went last jan for his 95th birthday party - he looks good and still onery - people think he looks like he is ONLY 75... 7 of Narce's siblings are scattered around CA and the East Coast and 2 of them live by their Dad so he has visitors most every month from members of the family -

for now, I need to concentrate on our 3 day weekend in Reno - we leave tomorrow morning - we are going just to relax, eat, shop - and he will go to a sports show at the hotel we are staying at - it's an annual get away we do -

Have a good weekend everyone! Carol

Carol, if you've never driven across the US, I really do encourage you to do it. I grew up near Memphis, and the summer I was 15 my mom and dad and sister who's younger than I am drove across to Los Angeles to visit family. No Interstate highways and no air conditioned cars, but I loved every minute.

In the 1970s my then DH and our DD and I took the train across the northern part of the US. And in 1985 I drove with a friend to the Denver area where I spent the summer, and then I drove back by myself.

Finally, in 1998 Harry and I drove as far west as the Grand Canyon. I do think it takes those kinds of journeys to appreciate the vastness of our country and the variety of landscapes. I've not been to Yellowstone and the Tetons and that area, but they're on my bucket list.

Meanwhile I also love cruising and will not stop.

Beth

Luckily, Narce also looks forward to driving around the USA - just going to LA alone from our place is an adventure to me - well, mostly it's just brown dull land! ha!ha! but just the thought that we are driving and seeing some places is nice - now, when we go to Carmel and are by the Pacific, it's truly beautiful - we have driven from Philly to NY, NJ, VA etc. and all the way to NH - RI, Conn -and up to Toronto in that area - loved Newport Beach and toured the home of Jackie Kennedy's parents where she got married - so yes, I have all that to look forward to -

Carol

Carol, I absolutely hate to drive if it's a road I've been on a gazillion times. But, I love car travel to see new places. And there is something about crossing the Plains by car that I find amazing with all that sky from horizon to horizon. I imagine what it must have been like for the pioneers crossing in their covered wagons and how frightening and awesome it must have been.

Carol, I absolutely hate to drive if it's a road I've been on a gazillion times. But, I love car travel to see new places. And there is something about crossing the Plains by car that I find amazing with all that sky from horizon to horizon. I imagine what it must have been like for the pioneers crossing in their covered wagons and how frightening and awesome it must have been.

love the thought - but cowboy movies with the indians attacking is frightening - !ha!ha! but yes, it is adventuresome -

ok - all packed - will eat dinner, early to rise and off to Reno we go - a 3 hr drive - will absorb my surroundings in CA then in NV-- !!

Carol

I am enjoying my Michigan Grandson, a trip to the park to throw bread to the fish, a walk around the small lake and then a lunch of his choice. He doesn't start school for 2 more weeks. My other grandkids all start school here in Ohio, tomorrow. They have been my "entertainment" all summer! I will feel sad for the first month or two but then will start planning Christmas and soon after that....our cruise....yay!

I enjoy chatting with fellow cruisers, would love to share experiences with others over 55. This section of the board is just pretty dead. DH & I are both over 55 & looking forward to a relaxing as well as exciting cruise aboard the Dream in Nov, 2012.

Hi! I definitely qualify for membership here. I turned 60 in June, and my husband turned 65. Sigh! We are definitely young at heart, though, and can't believe these ages :)

Lynn

I also love to talk about Food !! ha! ha! especially about 'burgers - I usually have a burger everday for lunch when we cruise - don't at home - a burger, a slice of pizza and green salad - of course for dinner, I get more adventurous!! Corkey

Me, too....Me, too...Me, too! I love, love, love to talk about food!!! I'm always "up" for discussing food, recipes, ideas, etc.

My great passions...cruising, food, and reading...all of which I discuss on my blog (not enough but working on it).

They would ask ME that cuz I am fat!! heheee! I have been married for 36-1/2 yrs and about 5 yrs ago some poor soul asked me when are we going to start a family -- her eyesight was truly distorted... well, at least I had just had my hair colored... Corkey

Oh, Corkey, you crack me up!

My husband and I are celebrating our 29th anniversary this year, although we've known each other for 40 years. OMG! 40 years!!!

That's the best part about being a senior -- THE DISCOUNTS!!! yay! good for us ...

I feel comfortable and I always say, I am old therefore I can be ME...

I'll have to make a list of who's who on this thread - cuz being old makes me not remember too well .... hello to all - be back - gotta feed my old body... corkey

Corkey,

Please put me on the list. I think this thread is going to be FUN!

Corkey,

Please put me on the list. I think this thread is going to be FUN!

So glad you found us - !! will send the list - I think I have your email listed in your book, the first book I am reading -

I need to tell everyone about your books - since we got home late last night from Reno, I am still sleepy right now! ha!ha! It takes me a while to be back to reality after a little weekend get a away - cuz I am old, that's why!! heehee!

will be right back! welcome Lynn!!

corkey carol

So glad you found us - !! will send the list - I think I have your email listed in your book, the first book I am reading -

I need to tell everyone about your books - since we got home late last night from Reno, I am still sleepy right now! ha!ha! It takes me a while to be back to reality after a little weekend get a away - cuz I am old, that's why!! heehee!

will be right back! welcome Lynn!!

corkey carol

Thank you for the warm welcome, Corkey.

I love these boards!!!

Lynn