Another Ruby Princess Review July 5 - July 17(long)

deedeetoo

A little background and pre-cruise: we are a family of 4, my husband and I, our 14 year old daughter and 11 year old son. We are first time cruisers. We flew into Rome, spend two days there, took the train to Venice, and spent a day and a half before boarding the ship. We took tours with Walks of Italy for the Vatican (Pristine Sistine), the Colosseum, Forum and Palantine HIll (including the underground and top tier), and St. Marks Square and the Doges Palace in Venice. All the tours were excellent and I highly recommend them. The train between Rome and Venice was easy, fast, and pleasant.

We'll be doing a similar trip next summer, only on Norwegian, but with our kids. We're planning to spend a couple of nights in Rome as well as Venice and I was wondering if you had any recommendations for hotels. It's not easy finding rooms for a family of four!

Also, how did you like your Walks of Italy tours? Did they keep your kids interested? We'll be traveling with our 11 yr old daughter 13 yr old son.

Thanks!

We'll be doing a similar trip next summer, only on Norwegian, but with our kids. We're planning to spend a couple of nights in Rome as well as Venice and I was wondering if you had any recommendations for hotels. It's not easy finding rooms for a family of four!

Also, how did you like your Walks of Italy tours? Did they keep your kids interested? We'll be traveling with our 11 yr old daughter 13 yr old son.

Thanks!

In Rome we stayed at the Hotel Raffaello. It is an easy walk to trains and the Colosseum. A little farther to Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, etc but we walked it. We took a cab to the Vatican. Their family rooms are two connecting rooms which a queen in one room two twins in the other.

In Venice we stayed at the La Locanda di Orsaria which is almost right around the corner from the train station. Their rooms for 4 were also a queen with two twins but in a single room. I would recommend both hotels. You can check them out on trip advisor too.

We enjoyed our Walks of Italy tours. The best was the Colosseum. The kids loved it and the tour guide was very knowledgeable and engaging. We also really enjoyed the St Marks and Doges Palace tour and that tour guide was also great. The kids stayed interested even though the subject matter wasn't quite as interesting for them as the Colosseum.

The Pristine Sistine tour at the Vatican, however, wasn't as much fun for the kids. About half way through my son started asking when it would be over. I think this was due to the fact we were going through a museum though and you can't change that. The kids were very interested in the beginning when we were in the Sistine Chapel, and then again at the end when we were in St. Peters. But the middle where we were just going through room after room in the museum, occasionally stopping to see and talk about a specific object or tapestry or painting or statue (its a bit overwhelmimg), was hard for him.

Thanks!

We stayed at the Ripetta25....very convenient..reasonably priced apartments. Paolo DiDomenico owns a block of very modern gorgeous units in an 800 year old or so building on Via Ripetta...extremely convenient to everything....and he rents out those units....from a studio for 2 to a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment for 6.

We will stay there next time we go to Rome. No prepayment needed. Check it out

FWIW..it was located in North Rome...I personally would not stay in the Colesieum or Termini area. In North Rome, you will get more of a feel for things and also be comfortable at night.

Of course many will now dispute my claim...but we have been to Rome several times and walked around the Colesieum area by day...and from what I can tell...the parks appear to attrack a certain crowd that makes me uncomfortable. Not to mention that when staying in North Rome you are walking distance to Pantheoun, Spanish Steps, Trevi, Navona, Vatican, Popolo, Borghese Gardens..another place to avoid at night, btw.....and of course the beautiful Via Del Corso...where the Romans make a habit of strolling arm in arm..........This is La Dolce Vita part of Rome.

In Rome we stayed at the Hotel Raffaello. It is an easy walk to trains and the Colosseum. A little farther to Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, etc but we walked it. We took a cab to the Vatican. Their family rooms are two connecting rooms which a queen in one room two twins in the other.

In Venice we stayed at the La Locanda di Orsaria which is almost right around the corner from the train station. Their rooms for 4 were also a queen with two twins but in a single room. I would recommend both hotels. You can check them out on trip advisor too.

We enjoyed our Walks of Italy tours. The best was the Colosseum. The kids loved it and the tour guide was very knowledgeable and engaging. We also really enjoyed the St Marks and Doges Palace tour and that tour guide was also great. The kids stayed interested even though the subject matter wasn't quite as interesting for them as the Colosseum.

The Pristine Sistine tour at the Vatican, however, wasn't as much fun for the kids. About half way through my son started asking when it would be over. I think this was due to the fact we were going through a museum though and you can't change that. The kids were very interested in the beginning when we were in the Sistine Chapel, and then again at the end when we were in St. Peters. But the middle where we were just going through room after room in the museum, occasionally stopping to see and talk about a specific object or tapestry or painting or statue (its a bit overwhelmimg), was hard for him.

I think we had the 2 room next to yours at La Locanda. I was sort of pleased with the hotel as the front desk helped me out when I needed to call my bank to report my card cloned at the atm down the street and the breakfast was very nice. The only thing that bothered me was the quad room we had for the kids smelled of cigarette smoke and when I mentioned that they are a non smoking hotel all I was told was "well, what can we do about it if someone smokes in their room?":eek: OK...really?

And another issue I had was their safes...You needed to use an ancient key system that was very heavy to carry around...as was the room key..which of course we left with the front desk at their request. But as far as the safe key....I wouldn't leave it of course....so if I used the safe I needed to carry it with me....

Also, the safe was antiquated and it wouldn't take a genius to be able to break the lock...so we didn't use it and I carried my bag with me that day in Venice...which was no problem at all.

The reason I am concerned about safes is that last year my friend, her mom and kids had an interesting experience in Rome...they left their stuff in the secure safe only to return to find their clothes all over the place..their luggage gone and their safe ripped out as well.

Appartantly, they emptied the luggage of clothing, tore the safe out, put it in the luggage and strolled out of the hotel. They think it may have been an inside job...but regardless....if the safe doesn't look kosher and the lock looks too easily broken..I won't use the safe.

And based on my experience with the cloning at the ATM..even with my hand covering my transacation, I am beginning to believe that miniature cameras are everywhere...heck, I even had my hand over the ships safe when I entered my passcode.....especially when I noticed that the code comes up after you finish and walk away...I guess that is so you can see what code you used and don't forget it...but if someone had a camera pointed at the safe..they would see it as well. I wasn't really concerned on the ship...but this is definitely an issue in any landbased hotel one might stay in.

Not overreacting...just using common sense...and more so..realizing that there are people out there who want to harm you and scam your money.

I wonder how many of the 20 or so other people I saw using the same ATM as me had their cards hacked...and I wonder if they had the same backup plans that I did...euro cash in purse...additional atm cards at different banks..US dollars...and several credit cards...or if their thinking was.."OH, ATM's are everywhere and I can get cash in the ports no problem":confused::(

And based on my experience with the cloning at the ATM..even with my hand covering my transacation, I am beginning to believe that miniature cameras are everywhere...

I wonder how many of the 20 or so other people I saw using the same ATM as me had their cards hacked...and I wonder if they had the same backup plans that I did...euro cash in purse...additional atm cards at different banks..US dollars...and several credit cards...or if their thinking was.."OH, ATM's are everywhere and I can get cash in the ports no problem":confused::(

I'm not sure what happened to you or others, but a lot of people acted like I was nuts when i suggested that I didn't trust ATM cards or machines and thought it was safe to just get a thousand or so euros at a favorable rate in the states at a bank such as Wells Fargo. I don't have an ATM card and don't want one. If I need to get some money off my credit card I will and will gladly pay a small fee, but I don't want money being drained out of my checking account.

I'm not sure what happened to you or others, but a lot of people acted like I was nuts when i suggested that I didn't trust ATM cards or machines and thought it was safe to just get a thousand or so euros at a favorable rate in the states at a bank such as Wells Fargo. I don't have an ATM card and don't want one. If I need to get some money off my credit card I will and will gladly pay a small fee, but I don't want money being drained out of my checking account.

While I use ATM cards to get cash at home, I never use them to pay for anything....I always use credit cards and of course pay my bills directly from my checking account either by check or thru the banks bill pay system.

We have traveled abroad frequently and always carry significant amounts of Euro from home as we are a family of 6.

I always plan out what needs to be paid in cash...like airport transfers...and prepay everything from home..as in timed museum tix. I also stay at hotels that do not want any prepayment and take credit cards at checkout.

This trip, as a family of 6, we found 3 of the ship's tours, which could be put on my points earning, interest free American credit card, to actually be much better priced than private tours. They were also very well run...no waiting..great guides..and small groups.

So we did that as well.

We also did 3 private tours...2 that want euro cash payment which I brought from home and 1 took US dollars, also brought from home.

For Capri, all transportation tix were put on my credit card, and since we spent many days on land both pre and post cruise, all meals were put on the credit cards as were any purchases.

Of course many many instances arise where Euro cash is required and again with a family of 6 just having gelato (50Euro) or entering a site that requires cash, like some do, can be costly...but well worth it from a cultural standpoint.

Anyway, I just decided, over a great dinner in Venice, to pick up a few extra Euro, just in case...knowing that I could use any leftover E to pay the Barca hotel bill. As it turns out, I didn't need any extra E, but since there was a line of people at the ATM, I still decided to chance it. I guess I wasn't the only one scammed that day.

Luckily we had free wifi at the hotel and when we returned about 3 hours later, I saw my withdrawal had gone thru 3 times. Once from the Venice bank...and twice at a Rome bank!!!!

I immeadiately transferred any remaining cash out of the account into savings...as my atm card...is not linked to my savings accounts...only checking.

With my remaining funds safely moved to savings, and unable to be accessed at an ATM by anyone, including me,

the next morning I bought a phone card...as I wasn't using my international cell at $1.50 a minute..used the hotels landline phone and made a 45 minute call to the bank. Of course they had to close out the ATM card! I have already filled out the fraud report and expect a refund at some point.

Just an FYI...the 2 fraudulent withdrawals were made 3 hours later..and were made a minute apart...for 250E each.

Now no one is more security consience than me...to the point of being irritating about it...but I saw many folks on line at this ATM on a very busy street....and just felt OK with using it....and yes, I have used ATMs abroad..but not frequently as I don't care about a few dollars and will gladly bring Euro from home.

btw, pickpockets were not an issue for us as we hold our bags in a very secure spot and even pin purses shut and scatter around any euro we carry...this time it was high tech that caused the problem...

I am still amazed at how so many of these boards travel with maybe 50 E with them and then feel so comfortable using an ATM in every place they go...airports...streets..whatever....

IMHO...it is not the pickpockets we need to concern ourselves with because, unless you look and act like a wild eyed newbie travele, my take is that they will leave you alone...heck, the looks I give them will send them running!LOL

It is the high tech crime that will do in the most sophisticated of travelers....and it is a good thing that I had backup plans...other atm cards linked to totally different accounts at different banks...tucked safely in the safe...just in case.....we were fortunate not to need to use them.

While I use ATM cards to get cash at home, I never use them to pay for anything....I always use credit cards and of course pay my bills directly from my checking account either by check or thru the banks bill pay system.

We have traveled abroad frequently and always carry significant amounts of Euro from home as we are a family of 6.

I always plan out what needs to be paid in cash...like airport transfers...and prepay everything from home..as in timed museum tix. I also stay at hotels that do not want any prepayment and take credit cards at checkout.

This trip, as a family of 6, we found 3 of the ship's tours, which could be put on my points earning, interest free American credit card, to actually be much better priced than private tours. They were also very well run...no waiting..great guides..and small groups.

So we did that as well.

We also did 3 private tours...2 that want euro cash payment which I brought from home and 1 took US dollars, also brought from home.

For Capri, all transportation tix were put on my credit card, and since we spent many days on land both pre and post cruise, all meals were put on the credit cards as were any purchases.

Of course many many instances arise where Euro cash is required and again with a family of 6 just having gelato (50Euro) or entering a site that requires cash, like some do, can be costly...but well worth it from a cultural standpoint.

Anyway, I just decided, over a great dinner in Venice, to pick up a few extra Euro, just in case...knowing that I could use any leftover E to pay the Barca hotel bill. As it turns out, I didn't need any extra E, but since there was a line of people at the ATM, I still decided to chance it. I guess I wasn't the only one scammed that day.

Luckily we had free wifi at the hotel and when we returned about 3 hours later, I saw my withdrawal had gone thru 3 times. Once from the Venice bank...and twice at a Rome bank!!!!

I immeadiately transferred any remaining cash out of the account into savings...as my atm card...is not linked to my savings accounts...only checking.

With my remaining funds safely moved to savings, and unable to be accessed at an ATM by anyone, including me,

the next morning I bought a phone card...as I wasn't using my international cell at $1.50 a minute..used the hotels landline phone and made a 45 minute call to the bank. Of course they had to close out the ATM card! I have already filled out the fraud report and expect a refund at some point.

Just an FYI...the 2 fraudulent withdrawals were made 3 hours later..and were made a minute apart...for 250E each.

Now no one is more security consience than me...to the point of being irritating about it...but I saw many folks on line at this ATM on a very busy street....and just felt OK with using it....and yes, I have used ATMs abroad..but not frequently as I don't care about a few dollars and will gladly bring Euro from home.

btw, pickpockets were not an issue for us as we hold our bags in a very secure spot and even pin purses shut and scatter around any euro we carry...this time it was high tech that caused the problem...

I am still amazed at how so many of these boards travel with maybe 50 E with them and then feel so comfortable using an ATM in every place they go...airports...streets..whatever....

IMHO...it is not the pickpockets we need to concern ourselves with because, unless you look and act like a wild eyed newbie travele, my take is that they will leave you alone...heck, the looks I give them will send them running!LOL

It is the high tech crime that will do in the most sophisticated of travelers....and it is a good thing that I had backup plans...other atm cards linked to totally different accounts at different banks...tucked safely in the safe...just in case.....we were fortunate not to need to use them.

Wow you have opened up my eyes. We are planning on how many Euros to take on our Aug Ruby Sailing, and were thinking of replenishing with ATM withdrawals. Thanks

Wow you have opened up my eyes. We are planning on how many Euros to take on our Aug Ruby Sailing, and were thinking of replenishing with ATM withdrawals. Thanks

It was a good thing I had my computer tablet with me and we were at a hotel with free wifi when I decided to check the balance before we boarded the ship. I can't imagine the mess it would have caused if I had taken the cash out of an ATM in say Istanbul, got back on the ship (where we do not use wifi..for both high cost and extremly low speed) not to mention wasting so much time just checking out if the transaction went thru without a hitch. Also, if we had checked out the transaction on the ship, what would we have done? Used the ship's cabin phones?:eek: Would have cost a fortune. Waited until the next port of call? And ruined that port stop for us by trying to find a landline phone and a phone card?

Those are the things people don't realize...the difficulty in communicating with your bank from abroad. Phone card use requires a landline phone for the most part. International cell phones are expensive any which way you look at it...and communicating with your bbank via secure email...which I also did, btw...requires you to be online on the ship and you are lucky if they get back to you with 24 hours. The only way I was able to fix my issue was by speaking directly with the bank rep via telephone.

I lost some sleep over this issue...but in reality it was just a $600 unauthorized withdrawal....which I knew I would get back...but I am glad that I transferred out the rest of the money just to protect it. Also, after I transferred out the rest of the money to savings, I realized that I had auto payments scheduled for the next morning...luckily, I was able to transfer enough money back in time. While my debit card was useless by this time...my online banking feature was still OK..this I confirmed with the bank rep...and since I still had WIFI access, I was able to make sure the payments were covered.

This is why I just chuckle when I read that posters always rely on atm usage while abroad and just arrive in Europe with a few Euro on them.:eek:

BTW was the ATM a bank owned ATM?

It had the name of a bank on it and my receipt says Banca something or another.

The issue was probably that it was on the street....as many many ATMs are both here and abroad.

As a matter of fact, I found it difficult to find an ATM that was enclosed in a lobby sort of setting. Street side atms are plentiful. At home I use a drive up ATM attached to my bank...and I know there have been issues reported to that as well...but the vast majority of ATMs are just walk up or drive up at home and have a bank name on them too...and as I said, most of the atms I saw abroad were walk up as well. There was no indication that it was a "bodega" type of for profit ATM and the transaction fee was $2

Maybe, I saw 2 or 3 enclosed bank lobby atms in Rome at most and 1 in Venice.

Everywhere I saw people getting funds...it was at a street atm...and they all have a bank name on them.

FWIW..I don't believe the atm was fraudulent...I just think the ATM was compromised by those who wanted to clone atm cards....just like what happens at home. I should have looked for an enclosed lobby ATM...but as mentioned..they are not so plentiful..street ones are plentiful...as they should be...unfortunately technology and criminals have figured out how to work the system in their favor.

Also, I don't really have much faith that enclosed lobby atms in Europe would be any better...based on the way the Italian authorities barely looked at my face when I showed them my passport when entering the country...and the distinct lack of any kind of traffic laws in the country....and the overall.."who really cares" attitude that is pervasive.

I love Europe and consider Italy the center of the universe....but I don't expect much from them....the drivers are nuts....the attitude is a little too laid back for me.....among other things...but I love the country and will return over and over again!:D

An example of what I am saying is this...at the La Locanda Di Orsario where we stayed, they bill themselves as a smokefree hotel....great as DH has asthma and we all hate the smell of smoke.....but my kids room had a distinct and new smell of smoke in it...it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to say that the previous occupant and/or the cleaning crew was chain smoking in that room....when I told the front desk, their response was..."well, sometimes guests smoke...we can't do anything about it." Um..ok.....you can charge them a fine...but that is an American idea..and probably is laughable to an Italian.

Thanks for the info about the ATM's. I had read somewhere that if you are going to use an ATM, make sure that it is one inside a bank.

I agree....but I took the chance when I saw how many others were using streetside atms..all over the place. My bad.

I lost some sleep over this issue...but in reality it was just a $600 unauthorized withdrawal....which I knew I would get back...

Most banks have a daily limit on how much can be withdrawn. In your case it was 500 Euros + whatever your withdrawal was.

What is your bank's daily ATM withdrawal limit?

LUVTHESHIPS--

Didn't want to "name names" of your less than stellar Ephesus tour guide on cc? I understand, but do you mind letting me know via email. A group from my roll call has booked a tour through another tour group there and I would be very interested....no hard feelings if you don't want to share...

-kendall w. skeltkk@gmail.com

Deedeetoo: wonderful review! A quick question--On the Princess tour, Pisa and Florence On Your Own, did you feel you "got your money's worth?" I have read reviews that they insist on taking you to a leather shop before they will "let you go" in Florence. Was this the case for ya'll? Appox. how many hours, did ya'll have in Florence? Based on my loose calculations it would be from 11AM-3:30PMish. Am I way far off?

thanks in advance!

--kendall

LUVTHESHIPS--

Didn't want to "name names" of your less than stellar Ephesus tour guide on cc? I understand, but do you mind letting me know via email. A group from my roll call has booked a tour through another tour group there and I would be very interested....no hard feelings if you don't want to share...

The Ephesus tour we took was outstanding. We did private Ephesus Tour 2 including The Terrace Houses with EKOL Travel Turkey and Greece. If you're interested I'll send you more information.

Susan

Deedeetoo: wonderful review! A quick question--On the Princess tour, Pisa and Florence On Your Own, did you feel you "got your money's worth?" I have read reviews that they insist on taking you to a leather shop before they will "let you go" in Florence. Was this the case for ya'll? Appox. how many hours, did ya'll have in Florence? Based on my loose calculations it would be from 11AM-3:30PMish. Am I way far off?

thanks in advance!

--kendall

We weren't made to go the leather store, but our meeting point was right across from it and we were told they had free bathrooms for those on Princess tours. Most people did not go in the store and there was no effort made to try and get you to go in. If you did go in to use the bathrooms, there was no effort made to get you to buy anything.

Interesting note on the leather store. While waiting for the bathroom when we first got there I checked the price on a purse I saw. It was over 900E :eek:. Later in the day I saw the same purse in another store for 250E. At the end of the day we stopped back in the first store to use the facilities again before getting on the bus. I was told that everything was now 60% off. Be very careful what you buy.

As for whether it was worth it, I guess it depends on what you want to do. My kids wanted to see Pisa so we did the transfers that included that. In retrospect I wish we had just gone to Florence and skipped Pisa. There really wasn't much to see there other than a certain tower and it used a good amount of time. I think we got to Florence closer to 11:30 than 11:00 but I'm not sure. We did buy lunch very soon after arriving. Our tour met at 3:45 for our return to the ship.

If you do go on your own, get tickets to go in the museums on line before you go. We had a very short wait (5 minutes) at the Accademia because we had prepurchased tickets. The line to buy tickets was very long.

We weren't made to go the leather store, but our meeting point was right across from it and we were told they had free bathrooms for those on Princess tours. Most people did not go in the store and there was no effort made to try and get you to go in. If you did go in to use the bathrooms, there was no effort made to get you to buy anything.

Interesting note on the leather store. While waiting for the bathroom when we first got there I checked the price on a purse I saw. It was over 900E :eek:. Later in the day I saw the same purse in another store for 250E. At the end of the day we stopped back in the first store to use the facilities again before getting on the bus. I was told that everything was now 60% off. Be very careful what you buy.

As for whether it was worth it, I guess it depends on what you want to do. My kids wanted to see Pisa so we did the transfers that included that. In retrospect I wish we had just gone to Florence and skipped Pisa. There really wasn't much to see there other than a certain tower and it used a good amount of time. I think we got to Florence closer to 11:30 than 11:00 but I'm not sure. We did buy lunch very soon after arriving. Our tour met at 3:45 for our return to the ship.

If you do go on your own, get tickets to go in the museums on line before you go. We had a very short wait (5 minutes) at the Accademia because we had prepurchased tickets. The line to buy tickets was very long.

Wonderful points! Will def. use and remember. I have been to Florence a couple times, but DH hasn't, so I think I can DIY it. We have tickets booked to the Accademia for 12:15, so I think we should be ok. *fingers crossed* We will bring something to snack on until we actually sit down for lunch though. Understandable about Pisa. Many say it underwhelming, but I gotta go take that picture since I haven't yet. And I love that tidbit about the leather stores and their prices miraculously dropping 60% in 4 hours--:eek: Good to know! :D

The Ephesus tour we took was outstanding. We did private Ephesus Tour 2 including The Terrace Houses with EKOL Travel Turkey and Greece. If you're interested I'll send you more information.

Susan

Great info! My roll call buddies have organized one for Ephesus/Terrace Houses with Ephesus Deluxe and I have read mixed reviews. I have been a couple times, but I really want my DH to have a good experience here, as I really enjoyed it my first trip. How many people did you have on your tour? What did ya'll pay? Information would be great!

-kendall skeltkk@gmail.com

LUVTHESHIPS--

Let's just say that my suggestion would be for you to ask for a female guide and to limit the small talk...our guide made too many comments that should have not been made with references to certain events. We were not comfortable with this and comments he thought were funny did not sit well with us.

Let's just say that my suggestion would be for you to ask for a female guide and to limit the small talk...our guide made too many comments that should have not been made with references to certain events. We were not comfortable with this and comments he thought were funny did not sit well with us.

Noted. Thank you. :)

Archived