Should you be sailing from Newcastle

Well I finished the airshow weekend at Sunderland and quite nice it was too but before turning the car around and back to Yorkshire I thought seeing as I was a little over six miles away from the Newcastle Cruise terminal (NORTH SHIELDS) I would have a run up and see how easy it is to get there .

Coming from the north or south you need to get on the A19 road, from the south

you will use the Tyne Tunnel for this you need £1.40p ready as you exit the tunnel as no change is given. ( cost me £2 :o)

No sooner have you left the tunnel and the cruise terminal is well signposted from there on in as you pick up the A187, From the north you get this road low side of Morpeth .

Your final turn is onto Cobble Dene , Again this is very well sign posted , I had the sat nav with me but did not feel the need to use it . Once on the Cobble Dene two things will catch your eye , The Wet & Wild Theme Park and on the opposite side is the Premier Inn with the Royal Quays pub along side it and in front of you is a roundabout and the second exit takes you into the DFDS ferry and cruise terminal car park , once through the gate go ahead as left is for the ferries car waiting area . Once parked you walk through a gate and you will see the terminal in front of you .

(I took a few photos on my mobile so the quality is poor but will give you a bit of an idea .)

As you leave the car park you will see the cruise building.

... cruiseterminal.jpg If you have got friends or relatives dropping you off or picking you up its worth noting that the first four hours parking is free. :) Sorry I do not know how much a day it is to park there .

Once inside the building you could not miss the check in desks and the departure gates are also along side the desks .

cruisecheckin.jpg

Also plenty of seats in the waiting area and toilets to the rear of the building and to the side a little cafe/shop, should you want a snack .

waitingarea.jpg and should you want anything bigger mealwise you could always walk back to the pub at the side of the Premier inn a five minute walk away from the terminal or just call in on your way there .

Well this post is aimed at helping you people who are going cruising from here but have never been from here and I hope you find it of some use to you .

I have not got the cruise terminals post code but I suppose you could Google it or at a push just type in the North Sheilds Premier Inn postcode

as when you arrive at NE29 6DL you would only have to look forward to see your destination .:) Happy cruising ,should you be going from there .

NO! Just the one glass of Vino Blanco with my dinner:)

Is it sunny everywhere or just here?

Not here, it's been on off on off all day like a belisha beacon. Cloudy with sunny bits in between. Apparently it's raining in Scotland.

Berwyn

Jan just emailed me and it seems it is much the same as you in Manchester. We must have been lucky down here then :)

It's been reasonably warm here Linda but there has been a strong wind off the sea cooling things down.

And back to Kalos the O.P. If we sailed from Newcastle we would not drive there anyway. (or DW would not , as I don't drive). We'd get a coach to the port

Berwyn

1. In county Durham it has been cloudy and very, very windy all day :eek:

2. Kalos - Did you get lost returning from the cruise terminal to the Tyne tunnel - I did! They have changed the route since opening the 2nd tunnel and I got confused. :rolleyes: The signs aren't as good getting back to the tunnel.

3. Just returned from being away for a week and have not heard from TA re: cruises not leaving the Tyne in 2014, but will check later this week when in town. Has anyone else heard anything?

4. Cannot remember exactly, but it is very expensive to park at the terminal for more than 4 hours - at least £12 for 4 to 24 hours.

It's been reasonably warm here Linda but there has been a strong wind off the sea cooling things down.

And back to Kalos the O.P. If we sailed from Newcastle we would not drive there anyway. (or DW would not , as I don't drive). We'd get a coach to the port

Berwyn

I think most people who book with Thomson can book a coach pick up to take them to the cruise terminal. Must admit I do not mind a coach , sit back and enjoy the scenery. :) The only bit I would hate if its one that zig zags all over the country and turns a couple of hours journey

into what seems like forever .:eek:

Having said that having only a few miles to travel this morning it was great following the coast road (A183) from Sunderland up to South Shields with the sun glinting on the sea , it was wishing we was cruising weather .;)

Only thing that could have been better was if that strong wind would have calmed a little .

1. In county Durham it has been cloudy and very, very windy all day :eek:

On Friday going up it was horrible weather but we ran out of it and into decent weather after Elwick Services on the A19. Saturday was great weatherwise but sunday the wind just got worse as the day went by .

This morning along the sea front was nice and sunny but as you say very windy .

2. Kalos - Did you get lost returning from the cruise terminal to the Tyne tunnel - I did! They have changed the route since opening the 2nd tunnel and I got confused. :rolleyes: The signs aren't as good getting back to the tunnel.

No I had no problems , maybe they have improved the sinage now the tunnel is complete . Only problem I had was lack of change going up so at other end of tunnel it cost me £2 and not £1.40 :(

3. Just returned from being away for a week and have not heard from TA re: cruises not leaving the Tyne in 2014, but will check later this week when in town. Has anyone else heard anything?

I also would like to know should you/anyone find anything out

4. Cannot remember exactly, but it is very expensive to park at the terminal for more than 4 hours - at least £12 for 4 to 24 hours.

In that case if I was going from there I would be tempted to have a night where we have just stayed and leave car there and get a taxi

the 6 miles up the road. ;):D

Archived