Cruise Critic Community
va2pa

Extend in Prague?

Hi all!

Thinking of going on the Elegant Elbe on Viking from Berlin to Prague and am considering staying on in Prague. There will be a 1/2 day tour of Prague, including a trip to Prague Castle on the final day of the cruise. Would it be worth staying an extra 2-3 days to see more of Prague since we're there? What would be some places that we wouldn't want to miss? I've read reviews on Trip Advisor but was wondering what some fellow river cruisers think.

Thanks!!

We had 2 full days in Prague at the end of our Danube cruise - and it wasn't enough...

Prague (old town) is very walkable - so lots to see even if you don't have something planned.

We went to the Museum of Communism - not large, or "flashy" - but worth seeing.

Fran

Prague is a wonderful city. Absolutely stay 3 more days. The half day tour to the castle will not give you time to walk the streets below the castle which are a lot of fun. We were there 4 nights and could have stayed longer. We did a half day tour to Terezin and that was quite a sobering experience. Cesky Krumlov is also a great place to visit, it is a full day experience. Prague is very walkable, lots of places to investigate. You won't regret staying on.

Absolutely spend a few extra days there. We haven't been there in 10 years, but want to go back someday. If you can, stay either in the old town or as close as possible. We stayed in the area of Republic Square and just had to cross 1 street to the Powder Gate. Prices were very reasonable then, but it was before they joined the EU. It is a very walkable city, but there were pick pockets to be watched for. The crowd gathers every hour in the town square for the Astronomical Clock. You can stand in the square, get a table in a sidewalk cafe, or do as we did, go upstairs to and ice cream parlor across the street and watch seated at a window while eating an ice cream. The Jewish cemetery and museum were quite revealing of Hitler's days. Just seeing all the spires from across the river is amazing and crossing the bridges. It takes you back centuries.

We really did not know what to expect from Prague and found the city to be delightful!

We are headed back for 3 nights in the fall as we enjoyed it so much.

We had a private guide for 6 hours who made our visit even more rewarding.

We really did not know what to expect from Prague and found the city to be delightful!

We are headed back for 3 nights in the fall as we enjoyed it so much.

We had a private guide for 6 hours who made our visit even more rewarding.

We just returned last week and like stated above we are definatly going to return. It is a wonderful city to wander around and take in the culture. Eat the local foods and enjoy the friendly peoples. Loved it!!! So much history and easy to fly in and out from. Budapest is also on our list to return. Have a wonderful time. We stayed in the hilton locted on the river and an easy walk to the center of the city. Also there are alot of free "apps" to download to help you navigate.

Caviargal,

Can I ask who the private guide was? We're planning a trip to Prague and would like to spend a portion of the time in Prague being toured about by a private guide. Thanks

We were in Prague for 2.5 weeks last year, and even though it is not my favorite city, I suggest you stay. There are a number of great things to see and do. Among them, I suggest:

St. Vitus Cathedral (which is adjacent to the castle)

Vysherad - There is a wonderful cemetery there where you'll find the graves of a number of great Czechs, a basilica, a nice park, and the most beautiful view of the river and town.

The Jewish Quarter & Old Cemetery

The Fred & Ginger House

Of course, you'll also see Charles Bridge, Old Town Square & the Astronomical Clock, The Lesser Quarter.

A few words of advice:

*You can find private guides in OTS. Make sure the person you go with is licensed.

* We used trams to get around. . .They're inexpensive & reliable. Make sure to validate your ticket. Also, make sure you secure your belongings. Like any large city, Prague has its share of pickpockets.

* Charles Bridge is less crowded early in the morning. If you want photos of the bridge without a million people, the best time to hit it is morning. Go back later to see the artists and musicians.

* ^^^ Same thing for Old Town Square & The Clock.

* If you walk toward Old Town Square from the Bridge, you'll come to a small plaza that has a TGIFriday's on the corner. Turn right down that street (Liliova), and almost at the end you'll find the ChocoCafe. It's Chocolate heaven.

* Around the corner from it is Bethlemske Square.. . . not much there, but it has a few nice restaurants.

*Wenceslas Square is more like a street filled with modern stores and restaurants.

* Beer is cheaper than coffee. Speaking of coffee, Paneria is good for coffee & good pastries. Starbucks is in Old Town Square.

Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone for your very helpful comments!!! Looks like we'll be spending some time in Prague!!

Oops. . .I forgot one important thing.

Before you get to Prague, make sure you get a GOOD street map. Seriously. I have never seen so many people with maps in my life. There's a reason. Streets twist and turn and turn and twist.

I probably have 100 photos of people looking at maps.

Caviargal,

Can I ask who the private guide was? We're planning a trip to Prague and would like to spend a portion of the time in Prague being toured about by a private guide. Thanks

I am happy to - she is wonderful and we look forward to our time with her this fall.

Andrea Řezníčková

Andrejka2002@seznam.cz

Before you get to Prague, make sure you get a GOOD street map.
This is a must! We bought a great map of Prague through Amazon. It was a Knopf Mapguide. It's a smallish booklet with section-by-section maps that fold out. We found it to be very manageable while walking because you weren't dealing with one large map. Plus, folded back into the booklet, it easily fit into a pocket or purse.

.......but much like Venice it is nice to just wander around and explore....after all you can always find your way in reference to the river that splits the city.

.......but much like Venice it is nice to just wander around and explore....after all you can always find your way in reference to the river that splits the city.

So true! And we did a lot of that, too! There were times, though, that we were looking for something specific, and the fold-out maps really came in handy.

So true! And we did a lot of that, too! There were times, though, that we were looking for something specific, and the fold-out maps really came in handy.

.....yes......the BEST of both worlds....:)

Oops. . .I forgot one important thing.

Before you get to Prague, make sure you get a GOOD street map. Seriously. I have never seen so many people with maps in my life. There's a reason. Streets twist and turn and turn and twist.

I probably have 100 photos of people looking at maps.

That's funny.

Check out the Streetwise brand of maps- also fold flat, not a big flopping map, but detailed enough to get you out of any lost corner if needed. We use them for very major city in the world and have never been disappointed. Now we give the, as Christmas gifts to friends!

That's funny.

Check out the Streetwise brand of maps- also fold flat, not a big flopping map, but detailed enough to get you out of any lost corner if needed. We use them for very major city in the world and have never been disappointed. Now we give the, as Christmas gifts to friends!

......Do you have my addresss?...It's going to be a GREAT CHRISTMAS!!!:D

Love love love Prague. Only regret is not spending more then the 4 days we stayed. Lots of good suggestions here. We found it a great walking city and mass transit surprisingly navagable...though I took quick digital shots of our "home" station name on the underground just to be sure! LOL

Has anyone used the site www.pragueexperience.com ? I am amazed at all the types of info it has available! Including a webcam of Charles Bridge area. And I love their maps(they include pics of areas, with names, directions from where you post yourself, schedules of events, operas for the whole year),etc.

That's funny.

Doobieb - I think you're talking about my taking photos of people with maps.

It was hilarious, really. Almost immediately we noticed people and maps. No matter *where* we went, there were people with maps. It was pretty hilarious, and I started taking photos of them.

I also have over 100 photos of people with cameras stuck to their faces. That was another thing we noticed. No matter where we went, people were had cameras stuck to their faces. They'd even walk, head up, camera to eye, oblivious to where they were going.

:-)

Just don't stop short in the middle of a crowded walkway to check the map, especially in high tourist season you will get bumped.

MOST DEFINITELY STAY ON IN PRAGUE!!!!! It is exquisite. make sure you book a night at The Spanish Synagogue to hear the string concert and opera singer. It is amazing! The acoustics and beauty of the place is quite astounding.

I know this is an old thread but just for information the Czech Republic is not in the Euro zone.

At the moment (April 2013): 100CZK (koruna) = 3.27GBP = 5.05USD = 3.89Euro

I am happy to - she is wonderful and we look forward to our time with her this fall.

Andrea Řezníčková

Andrejka2002@seznam.cz

Caviargal:

Thanks for this rec. While we were too late in contacting Andrea and she was already booked for out visit next month, I wanted to let you know she responded to us very promptly and with thoughtful suggestions. Sorry we missed out on her guiding services. Enjoy your return to Prague this fall.

Martha