Calling all PG Lovers

Emdee

My cabin is still held, I've got to decide in the next day or so, and after looking at Eastern European River cruises, I'm fairly sure we will book this week.

I have an itinerary question (unrelated to our decision, just curious) for those of you who have cruised the Tuamotus before...

Why does it take longer to get from Huahine to Rangiroa, (5 PM- 10 AM) than to get from Fakarava to Maupiti, (5 PM - 8 AM) when the F-M looks closer than the H-R run? Is it the winds/ currents? A particularly tricky reef passage?

I understand that the "maps" on PG's website are not to scale, but I'm looking at a regular map and Maupiti iappears further west than Huahine, and Fakarava is appears east of Rangiroa:confused:

Anyone have any ideas?

If you look at this pretty good map of all the islands:

http://www.vidiani.com/maps/maps_of_australia_and_oceania/maps_of_french_polynesia/large_detailed_map_of_french_polynesia.jpg

you can see that you're right. It must be currents, winds, reefs, or whatever. Remember the Windward and Leeward Islands? I'm sure they're named for a reason. That's my guess.

Must be the wind then! They are clearly labeled windward and leeward. This must be one of the few places where it doesn't change with the seasons. There are so many little islands, and everyone went back and forth about which would be chosen, so I'm trying to wrap my head around which ones are finally on the itinerary!

What sorts of things are worth doing or seeing in Muapiti? I've not read much about this one!

Well, after much deliberation, we've decided not to put a deposit on this trip. Our original plan had been to do an Eastern European River cruise, and we actually put it off to go on PG this past October for our anniversary. That was a great decision, because PG was an amazing, romantic trip, for a big anniversary. But after comparing both trips, even though the costs are equivalent, we really feel like we want to stick with our original plan and go somewhere new, rather than repeat (although, there is no place I'd rather return!)

Partly, some of the folks we'd sailed with or had hoped to sail with, aren't sailing this time, and partly the dates are so very close to a very busy time in our household, getting teens moved into college, closing up the summer house, etc. Departing for a Sept 10 cruise was going to be wild! And partly, the travel time to and from FP from the East Coast requires so many additional days, where as we can be in Europe overnight! So all that coupled with our desire to keep going forward with our prior travel plans ( our TA calls it a "wanderlist";)) have made us decide to go East rather than West.

I hope you all have a wonderful time, I will be reading the reviews and following your roll call just for fun!

Must be the wind then! They are clearly labeled windward and leeward. This must be one of the few places where it doesn't change with the seasons. There are so many little islands, and everyone went back and forth abou...

It's the tradewinds. I believe they just blow all the time.

• 1 month later...

Cruisingfun

I started the roll call but the mods deleted it. It's a long story of mistaken identity....and someone throwing stones!!

Why don't ou start the roll call I am a bit superstitious about it now!

There is a story Gail!

Twin has started a roll call ... enjoy your trip and will talk to you when you get back!

Rangiroa and Huahine tours open but Fakarava only wait listing at this time!

Archived