Civitevecchia DIY to Rome - Comments, suggestions, etc?

SSAA33

We will be in Civitevecchia in September for 12 hours (7AM to 7PM) on a Thursday.

Our plan:

- Get off the ship ASAP; take the shuttle to port entrance and then walk to the train station and buy the 24-hour BIRG ticket

- We are hoping to get on the 8:02 train that will get us to Roma San Pietro at 8:56 (The next train leaves at 8:41 and gets to Rome at 9:23)

- Walk to St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City (We are thinking about skipping the Vatican Museums on this trip because they will be very time-consuming and we want to make sure we make it to the Colossuem & Roman Forum)

- Walk back to Roma San Pietro station and take #64 bus to Piazza Navona.

- Walk to Pantheon

- Walk to Trevi Fountain (stopping at Giolitti and/or Sant Eustachio's coffee shop on the way)

- Walk to Spanish Steps

- Take Metro from Spagna to Colosseo or Circo Massimo (connection at Termini)

- Walk to Roman Forum & Colosseum

- Walk to Basilica Di San Clemente *Time permitting

- Metro to Termini to catch the train back to Civitevecchia (Allowing 15-20 minutes for the walk to tracks in Termini Station)

Train Termini to Civitevecchia options:

- 4:42 Regional Train that will get us to Civitevecchia around 6PM, with just enough time to make it to the ship by 6:30

- If we miss the 4:42, there is also a 4:59 Frecciabianca "fast train" that would get to Civitevecchia at 5:41 (We would have to pay for separate tickets for it because this isn't covered in the BIRG ticket)

- 4:12 Regional Train that will get us to Civitevecchia at 5:11 (This option is 'safer' giving us a buffer but we would have to leave Rome a lot sooner)

Is this a feasible plan? Any suggestions, tips, comments??

We will be in Civitevecchia in September for 12 hours (7AM to 7PM) on a Thursday.

Our plan:

- Get off the ship ASAP; take the shuttle to port entrance and then walk to the train station and buy the 24-hour BIRG ticket

- We are hoping to get on the 8:02 train that will get us to Roma San Pietro at 8:56 (The next train leaves at 8:41 and gets to Rome at 9:23)

- Walk to St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City (We are thinking about skipping the Vatican Museums on this trip because they will be very time-consuming and we want to make sure we make it to the Colossuem & Roman Forum)

- Walk to Pantheon

- Walk to Trevi Fountain (stopping at Giolitti and/or Sant Eustachio's coffee shop on the way)

- Walk to Spanish Steps

- Metro to Termini to catch the train back to Civitevecchia (Allowing 15-20 minutes for the walk to tracks in Termini Station)

- 4:42 Regional Train that will get us to Civitevecchia around 6PM, with just enough time to make it to the ship by 6:30

- If we miss the 4:42, there is also a 4:59 Frecciabianca "fast train" that would get to Civitevecchia at 5:41 (We would have to pay for separate tickets for it because this isn't covered in the BIRG ticket)

- 4:12 Regional Train that will get us to Civitevecchia at 5:11 (This option is 'safer' giving us a buffer but we would have to leave Rome a lot sooner)

I like the plan and approach. While I love the Vatican Museum, if this is your first time to Rome and with limited time you'll see more by passing on the Museum.

Be sure to build into the plan time to grab something to eat.

The one thing that I wouldn't do is take a train that got me back to the train station around 6:00 PM. Yes, if everything went well you could be back on the ship by 6:30 which is what the cruise line requires. But, things with any train don't always go well from a delay to a breakdown. So, if this was me I would want to be back on that train that gets you back at 5:11 PM.

It really comes down to stress and how well you are at dealing with it.

Keith

Sounds pretty good. Just a couple of points:

I don't think it would be worth walking from St Peter's back to the train station to get a bus to Piazza Navona. It's about a 15 minute walk from St Peter's to the train station, and about a 20 minute walk from St. Peter's to Piazza Navona.

Second, St. Eustachio's is actually between Piazza Navona and the Pantheon, not between the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain.

You will have to keep a tight eye on the time. I'd suggest having an idea of how long you can spend at any given place -- it's easy to spend more time than you think at any one of these places.

Like the other poster, I'd probably recommend taking the 4:12 train. Where is your ship headed after Rome? That would influence my tolerance for risk....

Our plan:

- Walk to Pantheon

- Walk to Spanish Steps

It's all a bit tight, you'll need to do some trimming & other ways to save time.

St Peter's to Piazza Navone is about 15 - 20 mins on foot, quicker & simpler & more attractive than returning to San Pietro & waiting for a bus.

And at the end of your visit, take the metro in the opposite direction, from Colosseo to Piramide, which is alongside Ostiensa station for your train back to Civi, quicker & easier than doubling back to Termini - but I don't know if the express stops at Ostiensa, and the BIRG trains may be crowded if you board after Termini (there'll be room but you may have to stand)

Though overall, I'd be more inclined to fit in the Forum then Colosseum after the Vatican, these tend to be "must-see's" rather than sights you have to miss at the end of the day because you're out of time.

So how about:

Train to San Pietro, walk to Vatican.

Taxi from Vatican to Colosseum, (I'd guess about €7) then walk the Forum up to Pantheon.

Skip Piazza Navone if time is short, walk to Trevi.

If you have time, walk to Spanish Steps - use the elevator alongside Spagna metro station (to the left of the Steps) to go to the top of the Steps, then walk down. Then metro from Spagna to Termini for your train back to Civi.

If you don't have time for the Spanish Steps, walk from Trevi to Barberini for metro to Termini. Or even a short taxi ride (tell the driver your train is to Civi, he'll drop you at a closer side entrance)

I'll echo the sentiments of others, never rely on the last train - 99% of the time its no problem, but if the previous 99 people didn't have a problem .....................

There will be long lines for tickets at the Colosseum. They're a 3-site ticket, combining Colosseum, Forum, Paletine Hill. Buy your tickets over the 'net, or get your ticket at Paletine Hill (from Colesseum through Constantine Arch toward Circo Massimo), where there is unlikely to be any line at all.

At Civi, buy your train ticket from the news/tobacco shop in the station if there's a line at the ticket booth. Validate your ticket at the little yellow machine immediately by the entrance to Platform One - I don't think there are any validation machines on the other platforms.

Just my thoughts, I've been to Rome a few times (was there just a couple of days ago), but I'm no expert.

JB :)

I like the plan and approach. While I love the Vatican Museum, if this is your first time to Rome and with limited time you'll see more by passing on the Museum.

Be sure to build into the plan time to grab something to eat.

The one thing that I wouldn't do is take a train that got me back to the train station around 6:00 PM. Yes, if everything went well you could be back on the ship by 6:30 which is what the cruise line requires. But, things with any train don't always go well from a delay to a breakdown. So, if this was me I would want to be back on that train that gets you back at 5:11 PM.

It really comes down to stress and how well you are at dealing with it.

Keith

Thanks, Keith! Glad you think skipping the Vatican Museums is a good idea for us since I was iffy about it for a while. I really want to see the Sistine Chapel but I think we should try to get a better 'over-view' of Rome during this first visit and then save the lengthier museum visit for next time (also gives us a reason to come back!).

You're right about building in time to eat (and restrooms!). I will be packing granola bars & chips since we probably won't have time for a proper meal during this busy day but we'll definitely need to stop and re-fuel at some point.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the train coming back - that's one of the still 'open items' I'm struggling with. The earlier train probably does make more sense like you suggested... :confused:

To get from St. Peter's to Piazza Navona by bus you have two options.

The closest would be the #64 but you don't have to go back to the train station to get it. As you leave the basilica, turn right at the collonade (probably the same way you came in from the train station) and walk back out to Largo di Porta Cavalleggeri, there is a bus stop for the #64 just past the intersection, just before the tunnel starts.

The other bus option is to walk to the end of Via della Conciliazione, on the left is Piazza Pia, where you can get the #40 express bus.

Regarding San Clemente, the excavations are closed from 12:30 until 3 PM each day, be sure to factor this into your planning. http://www.basilicasanclemente.com/infoexcavations.htm

Sounds pretty good. Just a couple of points:

I don't think it would be worth walking from St Peter's back to the train station to get a bus to Piazza Navona. It's about a 15 minute walk from St Peter's to the train station, and about a 20 minute walk from St. Peter's to Piazza Navona.

Second, St. Eustachio's is actually between Piazza Navona and the Pantheon, not between the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain.

You will have to keep a tight eye on the time. I'd suggest having an idea of how long you can spend at any given place -- it's easy to spend more time than you think at any one of these places.

Like the other poster, I'd probably recommend taking the 4:12 train. Where is your ship headed after Rome? That would influence my tolerance for risk....

Thank, Cruisemom!

I didn't realize Piazza Navona is such a short distance away! I will include walking directions instead of the bus in our itinerary. I understand the #64 is one of the worst routes for pickpockets so we were going to be 'on edge' during the bus ride anyway.

I think one of the 'flaws' in our itinerary is that we haven't built in enough time for the Colosseum & Forum so we'll probably have to adjust that. I'll either be purchasing our tickets online or at the Forum ticket booth (I hear the line is shorter) to save some time there.

Good point about the port on our itinerary! The ship headed to Naples after Rome so IF we did miss the cruise, I guess it's better than trying to make our way to one of the Greek or Turkish ports (those are next)..?

It's all a bit tight, you'll need to do some trimming & other ways to save time.

St Peter's to Piazza Navone is about 15 - 20 mins on foot, quicker & simpler & more attractive than returning to San Pietro & waiting for a bus.

And at the end of your visit, take the metro in the opposite direction, from Colosseo to Piramide, which is alongside Ostiensa station for your train back to Civi, quicker & easier than doubling back to Termini - but I don't know if the express stops at Ostiensa, and the BIRG trains may be crowded if you board after Termini (there'll be room but you may have to stand)

Though overall, I'd be more inclined to fit in the Forum then Colosseum after the Vatican, these tend to be "must-see's" rather than sights you have to miss at the end of the day because you're out of time.

So how about:

Train to San Pietro, walk to Vatican.

Taxi from Vatican to Colosseum, (I'd guess about €7) then walk the Forum up to Pantheon.

Skip Piazza Navone if time is short, walk to Trevi.

If you have time, walk to Spanish Steps - use the elevator alongside Spagna metro station (to the left of the Steps) to go to the top of the Steps, then walk down. Then metro from Spagna to Termini for your train back to Civi.

If you don't have time for the Spanish Steps, walk from Trevi to Barberini for metro to Termini. Or even a short taxi ride (tell the driver your train is to Civi, he'll drop you at a closer side entrance)

I'll echo the sentiments of others, never rely on the last train - 99% of the time its no problem, but if the previous 99 people didn't have a problem .....................

There will be long lines for tickets at the Colosseum. They're a 3-site ticket, combining Colosseum, Forum, Paletine Hill. Buy your tickets over the 'net, or get your ticket at Paletine Hill (from Colesseum through Constantine Arch toward Circo Massimo), where there is unlikely to be any line at all.

At Civi, buy your train ticket from the news/tobacco shop in the station if there's a line at the ticket booth. Validate your ticket at the little yellow machine immediately by the entrance to Platform One - I don't think there are any validation machines on the other platforms.

Just my thoughts, I've been to Rome a few times (was there just a couple of days ago), but I'm no expert.

JB - Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and providing the alternative plan!

The walk to Piazza Navona does sound more pleasant, especially since we'll get to cross over the river. If we stick to the Piazza Navona right after Vatican plan, we'll probably walk there (instead of the pickpocket bus route :D).

I didn't realize we could catch the train to Civitevecchia from Ostiensa as well. This may be a better option if it's closer to where we'll be. I will look up the exact schedule for Ostiensa to Civi. Plus, I'm assuming there isn't a long walk to the auxillary tracks like there is at Termini? With the regional trains, we can definitely still get on even if the seats are full? Are there any instances where the train doesn't stop at particular stations if it's too full?

We will definitely consider going to the Colosseum & Forum first since we'd hate to miss those. We'll have to discuss this possible change this weekend.

Thanks for the tips about the train & Colosseum tickets - still trying to decide if we should buy the Colosseum tix online before we leave or count on a shorter line at Paletine Hill...

With the regional trains, we can definitely still get on even if the seats are full? Are there any instances where the train doesn't stop at particular stations if it's too full?

We will definitely consider going to the Colosseum & Forum first since we'd hate to miss those. We'll have to discuss this possible change this weekend.

Thanks for the tips about the train & Colosseum tickets - still trying to decide if we should buy the Colosseum tix online before we leave or count on a shorter line at Paletine Hill...

As long as you can get on the train, there is no problem. In the past, I've found that on these regional-type trains, its easier to squeeze on (if you think it will be crowded) in the first car or two rather than in the middle. That might mean walking "upstream" a bit when you arrive at the station.

I can't imagine that the train wouldn't stop at each station. It is regional, with lots of local commuters, so some folks will need to get off at each stop....!

Regarding tickets, it's really a personal decision. I've never found much of a line at the Palatine Hill office, but then I know where it is and can quickly get there. If you're concerned about timing, perhaps the slight upcharge will be worth it to you to have the tickets in hand and be all ready to go when you arrive.

To get from St. Peter's to Piazza Navona by bus you have two options.

The closest would be the #64 but you don't have to go back to the train station to get it. As you leave the basilica, turn right at the collonade (probably the same way you came in from the train station) and walk back out to Largo di Porta Cavalleggeri, there is a bus stop for the #64 just past the intersection, just before the tunnel starts.

The other bus option is to walk to the end of Via della Conciliazione, on the left is Piazza Pia, where you can get the #40 express bus.

Regarding San Clemente, the excavations are closed from 12:30 until 3 PM each day, be sure to factor this into your planning. http://www.basilicasanclemente.com/infoexcavations.htm

Thanks, EC!!

After just finding out that the walk to Piazza Navona is only 20 minutes, I'm not thinking that we can just walk there - avoiding the wait for the bus and getting to see more of the city on foot.

I didn't realize we had those closer alternatives for taking the buses though so I will note down those locations in case we don't feel like walking.

From looking at the map, it looks like we would catch the #40 right by the river (Piazza Pia)? Approx how long does the express #40 take? (This may be a good combination of walking in the right direction & taking the bus if it's already at the station. Is the walk from Piazza Pia onwards through a nice area?

I just looked up the trains to Civi from Ostiense. Looks like catching it here will also give us a few extra minutes in Rome so we can catch the 4:21 and get to Civi at 5:11

Do you know if there is a long walk to the auxillary tracks at this station like Termini? And is there any chance of trains not stopping at Ostiense if they're too full?

EC - We were planning on getting to San Clemente right around or after 3 but it seems like we'll probably have to skip it with the time contraints. Would you say it's worth a quick visit if we don't have time to go down to the excavations level?

Thanks again!

As long as you can get on the train, there is no problem. In the past, I've found that on these regional-type trains, its easier to squeeze on (if you think it will be crowded) in the first car or two rather than in the middle. That might mean walking "upstream" a bit when you arrive at the station.

I can't imagine that the train wouldn't stop at each station. It is regional, with lots of local commuters, so some folks will need to get off at each stop....!

Regarding tickets, it's really a personal decision. I've never found much of a line at the Palatine Hill office, but then I know where it is and can quickly get there. If you're concerned about timing, perhaps the slight upcharge will be worth it to you to have the tickets in hand and be all ready to go when you arrive.

Good to know it will definitely stop! I was concerned becaue I have heard about some buses (SITA on Amalfi Coast) not stopping when they are too full. But you're right - there will probably people that need to get off at each stop. Thanks for the tip about trying to make it to the first cars for space - sounds a lot like what we do here in NYC!

It probably is worth the extra 6E for us to buy the tickets in advance so we don't have to search for the Palatine Hill office.

Plus that way we can stick to seeing the Colosseum first and then spend whatever time is left at the Forum/Palatine Hill - approx how much time would you recommend at each site for first-timers??

Thanks again for all your help!

Just to clarify - To get to the Ostiense train station, we take the metro to Piramide and then walk to the station? How much time should we allow for the walk from the metro to the train tracks?

And since we'll have our validated BIRG ticket from the morning, we don't have to worry about stopping for tickets, right?

We MOST LIKELY won't have time for this excursion but I wanted to stop at a Silician bakery near the Cavour metro stop (Ciuri Ciuri) to pick up cannolis.

IF we're close to the Cavour metro stop, does it stil make more sense to catch the train from Ostiense? Or Termini?

Thanks for everyone's help! Glad we're finding this stuff out before we get there :)

We MOST LIKELY won't have time for this excursion but I wanted to stop at a Silician bakery near the Cavour metro stop (Ciuri Ciuri) to pick up cannolis.

IF we're close to the Cavour metro stop, does it stil make more sense to catch the train from Ostiense? Or Termini?

Nevermind! I just remembered that there is a Ciuri Ciuri locatoin right next to Basilica San Clemente (10 min walk from Colosseo) :D IF we have some spare time, we'll try to make a quick stop there and then get back to Colosseo for the metro.

Yes, the trams are included in the BIRG but it's closer and faster to walk from the Colosseo to San Clemente (two blocks up Via di San Giovanni in Laterano - the entrance to the basilica is on this street).

From the Piramide metro stop there is an underground passageway to the Ostiense train station, no more than a couple of minutes walking time.

And yes, your BIRG ticket covers the train back to Civitavecchia. You will need to put it into the turnstile to get down to the metro tracks but at the train station you'll only need it if asked for it by a conductor. Don't forget to validate it in the morning before you get on the train in Civitavecchia.

JB - Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and providing the alternative plan!

The walk to Piazza Navona does sound more pleasant, especially since we'll get to cross over the river. If we stick to the Piazza Navona right after Vatican plan, we'll probably walk there (instead of the pickpocket bus route :D).

I didn't realize we could catch the train to Civitevecchia from Ostiensa as well. This may be a better option if it's closer to where we'll be. I will look up the exact schedule for Ostiensa to Civi. Plus, I'm assuming there isn't a long walk to the auxillary tracks like there is at Termini? With the regional trains, we can definitely still get on even if the seats are full? Are there any instances where the train doesn't stop at particular stations if it's too full?

Ostiense is certainly much smaller & simpler than Termini, but the metro goes to Piramide - it's next to Ostiense, I've not crossed from one to the other, but EC has kindly answered that bit.

The train will most certainly stop as scheduled, there'll be folk wanting to get off. Yes, you'll be able to get on, though it may be a squeeeeeeeeeeeze.

But Ostiense is irrelevant if you're planning to go to the Colosseum straight after the Vatican - you'll be somewhere around Trevi or Spanish Steps when the clock tells you to quit Rome.

A third, fourth, & fifth option just might throw you into freefall :p ........ but you could consider putting the Colosseum ahead of the Vatican.

In which case:

Civi to Ostiense.

To Piramide metro station, next door.

Metro one stop to Circo Massimo & walk down toward Constantine Arch/Colosseum & on the way collecting tickets at the entrance to Paletine Hill, which you'll walk past (or metro direct from Piramide to Colosseo if you already have tickets)

Then Forum.

Then:

....walk from Forum to Pantheon, Piazza Navone, Vatican, taxi to Trevi, walk/taxi to Spanish Steps if you have time, remain in taxi or metro toTermini for train to Civi

.....or taxi from Forum to Vatican, walk Piazza Navone, Pantheon, Trevi, walk/taxi to Spanish Steps if you have time, remain in taxi or metro toTermini for train to Civi

.... or walk to Pantheon, Trevi, mebbe Spanish Steps, taxi to Vatican, walk to San Pietro for train to Civi.

(no taxi access to Trevi fountain, if you're in a taxi pay him off, go round the corner to the Trevi, then grab another taxi)

Lots of variations on a theme, all with minor pros & cons, and you'll probably have to adjust according to progress as the day goes by

Although you have a free bus/metro ticket, don't be afraid to use a taxi once or twice to save time, even if for instance it means you get a photostop at the top of the Spanish Steps on your way from Trevi to Termini.

A taxi hop will only cost €5 to 10, and can help enormously in keeping you on schedule

If you want any more confusing options, you only have to ask :D

Thank you, EC & JB! Really appreciate the helpful tweaks to the plan.

JB - It's funny you bring up those alternatives because I was just wondering about reversing our itinerary - starting at the Colosseum and ending at the Vatican and taking the train from Roma S. Pietro to Civi (4:30 train arriving at 5:11).

Is there a benefit to going to the Vatican in the morning or afternoon? Same for the Colosseum? Not sure what's the busiest time for each...

Are you recommending going to the St. Peter's before Spanish Steps & Trevi primarily because we can skip Spanish Steps & Trevi at the end if we must? That approach definitely makes sense because seeing the Vatican is a higher priority.

But directionally, wouldn't the Vatican -> P. Navona -> Pantheon -> Trevi -> Spanish Steps -> Colosseum & Forum [or reverse order] be more efficient?

I guess if we're leaving either the Vatican or the Colosseum for last, we'll have to be mindful of not wasting too much time at the S. Steps or Trevi...

Good point about the taxis! Besides the trips to/from airports, we're leaving taxis for a last-resort option if we're running very late. It could be helpful in Rome when we're in a time crunch though. We are saving $ by taking the train from Civi instead of a cruise excursion :D

I really do appreciate all the alternative options you're pointing out. Sounds like you really know your way around the city! Hope your recent trip went well :)

I think one of the 'flaws' in our itinerary is that we haven't built in enough time for the Colosseum & Forum so we'll probably have to adjust that. I'll either be purchasing our tickets online or at the Forum ticket booth (I hear the line is shorter) to save some time there.

I'm going to break my own rule here and not read everyone else's comments first to see if this suggestion has already come up.

In my opinion, you can save time by skipping the Spanish Steps. If you've got the time to chill there for awhile, doing some people watching and some browsing in REALLY expensive stores...that's one thing. But to just say you've seen it...not worth it.

I like the idea posted earlier about allocating time at each place, to make sure you don't burn too much time and then run out. I'd give the Pantheon no more than 30 minutes (it's SUPER cool, but there are no lines and it doesn't really take that long to take it all in). Trevi Fountain...15 minutes. Take some photos, toss in your coins and move on. It's really more of a photo op stop than anything.

Also, if you do decide to walk to Piazza Navona (I agree with this suggestion), you might want to keep on walking. Pantheon & Trevi are honestly NOT that far from Forum / colisseum. In my experience, it took us 30 minutes to walk from Pantheon to Colisseum, and we were not going fast because we had more time in Rome. This would give you a tiny chance to soak up a little Roman ambiance. The neighborhoods around these Roman areas are kind of quaint.

Thank you, EC & JB! Really appreciate the helpful tweaks to the plan.

JB - It's funny you bring up those alternatives because I was just wondering about reversing our itinerary - starting at the Colosseum and ending at the Vatican and taking the train from Roma S. Pietro to Civi (4:30 train arriving at 5:11).

Is there a benefit to going to the Vatican in the morning or afternoon? Same for the Colosseum? Not sure what's the busiest time for each...

Are you recommending going to the St. Peter's before Spanish Steps & Trevi primarily because we can skip Spanish Steps & Trevi at the end if we must? That approach definitely makes sense because seeing the Vatican is a higher priority.

But directionally, wouldn't the Vatican -> P. Navona -> Pantheon -> Trevi -> Spanish Steps -> Colosseum & Forum [or reverse order] be more efficient?

I guess if we're leaving either the Vatican or the Colosseum for last, we'll have to be mindful of not wasting too much time at the S. Steps or Trevi...

Good point about the taxis! Besides the trips to/from airports, we're leaving taxis for a last-resort option if we're running very late. It could be helpful in Rome when we're in a time crunch though. We are saving $ by taking the train from Civi instead of a cruise excursion :D

I really do appreciate all the alternative options you're pointing out. Sounds like you really know your way around the city! Hope your recent trip went well :)

Can't help with best time for Colosseum or Vatican - others may have opinions, but bear in mind those vacationing in Rome will have the drop on you. Those are the only places you're likely to experience lines, IMHO into the Colosseum is more worthwhile than into the Vatican on a day-visit

Be a shame to miss the Trevi.

Yep, I've kinda put Spanish Steps at the bottom of the list, because its no big deal & a little out-of-the-way. But if you're going to include it in your planned itinerary, altho' on the map its a long way from Colosseum it's actually super-quick & easy by Metro. And walking to the Metro at Spagna (right alongside the Steps) is almost the quickest way from the Trevi to Colosseum

Piazza Navone is no big deal - fine if you pass through it heading from Vatican to Pantheon but although its only a few minutes from the Pantheon, IMHO it's not worth the time if its not on your route.

A taxi hailed on the street on Rome to get you back to Civi is a very poor Plan B.

If you're reduced to that, negotiate a fixed price rather than the meter, though it'll be expensive, €150+ ?, & don't let the guy know the urgency before you're under way or the price will be even higher.

But by road at that time of day is likely to take longer than the train, so make the 4.12pm train your Plan A & a later train your Plan B.

Cruise (Crown Princess Venice/Greek Islands/Rome) went very well. Very very hot, but we'd seen the hot & dusty places - Acropolis, Ephesus, Pompeii - on previous trips so we were pleased to by-pass them in the heat. Rome was showery, almost ideal.

I kinda know my way around Rome mainly cos its so fresh in my mind. Give me a week or two & I'll be as confused as usual :D

Generally the Vatican is less crowded in the afternoons, so reversing your plan would make sense.

If you are beginning your day with the Colosseum you'd get off the train at Ostiense and walk through the tunnel to the Piramide station. The tunnel is connected to the underground passage that connects the various train tracks.

If you have purchased your Colosseum ticket in advance you can go to the Colosseo stop (the second stop on the metro); if you plan to buy your ticket at the Palatine ticket office get off at the first stop, Circo Massimo, and walk up via San Gregorio. The ticket office is about halfway between Circus Maximus and the Colosseum, on the left.

After the Colosseum you can spend some time in the Roman Forum, exiting at the northwest corner into Piazza del Campidoglio, from which you can walk down Michelangelo's Cordonata to Piazza Venezia. From there to the Trevi Fountain is a little over a half mile.

After Trevi you can easily walk to the Pantheon and on to Piazza Navona. If you must see the Spanish Steps, after Trevi would make the most sense.

Starting with the Colosseum and ending with St. Peter's really makes good sense and it is probably the path most recommended on this board to DIYers looking for a general Rome overview.

I just thought I'd mention, since we are talking about Plan B options, that on a port day in Rome (or any other city where I might have the info), I tuck a piece of paper into my wallet, pocket, or whatever that has the name or names of popular drivers that are often mentioned on these boards -- just in case, they may be able to arrange something for you quickly.

And that piece of paper should always include the contact information for the port agent; in the unlikely event that you might miss the ship, you should call them. They can facilitate things such as getting your passport off the ship before it sails, etc.

Another vote for walking from St Peters, and not going back to that train station. It really is a lovely walk.. Down a great big long wide street at the end of it you come to a Castle and then there is a bridge with statues (they reminded me of stations of the cross?) cross the bridge, and carry on in the same direction. You will be in Piazza Navona before you know it.

I always start my return journey from Termini. Simply because I like to know I am going to get a seat on the train! I also think it would be a shame to miss Trevi, try to see it if you can. It only takes a couple of minutes. Dont take a rose off anyone! Steps can be missed (in my opinion) Dont take a chance on the last train. A few weeks back one did indeed break down and everyone was stranded. The ship did wait because there was so many of them, but thats not to say it always will. In fact, normally they wont wait.

Little bit of advice for train stations. Don't let people "help" you validate your ticket, find your platform, or open doors on the train etc. They will look very nice but will soon be back to see you with their hand out looking for money!

Archived