3 Cruise passengers missing in Ocho Rios?

kcparrothead

It seems like the entire island is that way. MoBay is full of aggressive vendors. My daughter and SIL went there on the Conquest in 2007 and even the cab driver was trying to sell them drugs.:eek: I have always thought Jamaica would be a neat place to visit, but not any more.:(

Please name an island and someone has offered me drugs or woman! St Bart's, San Juan, Antiqua, Nassau,Jamaica,carasou (sp?also has the worlds biggest legal brothel) Antiqua, koh phi phi, st martins has a whole block for legalhookers and drugs I could continue.

All you have to do is say no thanks! I do but sometimes have to say it twice. Can't begrudge a salesman in poverty with a family to feed.

I am, but unfortunately you will not find many on your side here. Unfortunately most people have a hard time relating to, or drumming up empathy for those whose struggles they don't understand and who might look a bit different. It's one of those truths that us 'privileged' Americans don't like to face. Slam away

My husband and I were on the very first mainline cruise ship to port in Dominca. VERY poor island. However, every person we came across there was very very polite and friendly. In Cozumel one trip, we took a small excursion where the tour guide sold us our tickets at a cost 50% higher than the actual cost and informed us that everyone needed to tip the driver because he didn't crash the bus. But, he did so very pleasantly and cheerfully. No problem. On many other islands as well as in Mexico, we have simply sais "no thank you" to vendors and "I'm really not interested" to really pushy vendors. We have eaten at little food shacks, gotten candy at very run down neighborhood stores and have always found that if we greet people with a smile we get one back.

However, only in Jamaica have we experienced surly people who followed us down the street harassing us, touching you while trying to put jewelry on you even as you are trying to get past them and have already said no, a woman in our party having her breast grabbed and another getting her butt pinched.

Some of us, and I am willing to bet, many of us have darn good reasons for not liking Jamaica.

As for comparing this to the fact that we are not immune to bad areas in the US, that is true, but I am pretty sure there aren't any tour companies touting the S side of Chicago as a tourist destination either.

As for comparing this to the fact that we are not immune to bad areas in the US, that is true, but I am pretty sure there aren't any tour companies touting the S side of Chicago as a tourist destination either.

No, but there are plenty of tourists who visit Chicago, and who take them time to inform themselves to not go hang out at Cabrini Green.

Jamaica is a beautiful place, with beautiful people - for those with an open mind and half a dose of common sense and awareness.

No, but there are plenty of tourists who visit Chicago, and who take them time to inform themselves to not go hang out at Cabrini Green.

Jamaica is a beautiful place, with beautiful people - for those with an open mind and half a dose of common sense and awareness.

When I'm on vacation I don't want to keep looking over my shoulder.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

My husband and I were on the very first mainline cruise ship to port in Dominca. VERY poor island. However, every person we came across there was very very polite and friendly. In Cozumel one trip, we took a small excursion where the tour guide sold us our tickets at a cost 50% higher than the actual cost and informed us that everyone needed to tip the driver because he didn't crash the bus. But, he did so very pleasantly and cheerfully. No problem. On many other islands as well as in Mexico, we have simply sais "no thank you" to vendors and "I'm really not interested" to really pushy vendors. We have eaten at little food shacks, gotten candy at very run down neighborhood stores and have always found that if we greet people with a smile we get one back.

However, only in Jamaica have we experienced surly people who followed us down the street harassing us, touching you while trying to put jewelry on you even as you are trying to get past them and have already said no, a woman in our party having her breast grabbed and another getting her butt pinched.

Some of us, and I am willing to bet, many of us have darn good reasons for not liking Jamaica.

STUPID.

I AM FROM THE SOUTH SIDE OF CHICAGO SO IS THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO.

YES the tour buses do visit the south side .Ever heard of the CHICAGO WHITE SOX from the SOUTH SIDE

The museum of SCIENCE OF INDUSTRY. THE ORIENTAL INSTITUTE

FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

so we do know many of the posts we have read are DISCRIMINATION.

DO YOU FOLKS GO OUT WHEN IT IS DARK.

You don't have to look over your shoulder. I have spent a lot of time in Jamaica. The people are very friendly. Are there areas you don't want to go to? Yes. Are there parts of Chicago/New York/Atlanta/Houston/Los Angelas/Tokyo/Milan/Rome/London/Manchester/Paris/Munich/insert-other-place-anywhere-in-the-entire-world that you don't want to go to? Absolutely.

Read a few actual reviews, glance through a Fodor's, if you aren't comfortable going on your own, book through a reputable excursion company and/or resort location and/or the cruise ship and you will be fine.

I'm glad it's not just me who found this thread a pretty depressing read, a family decide to stay in Jamaica for a bit longer than was intended (weird, but hey) and that's enough excuse for the entire island to be character assassinated.

You know, and with due respect, if I believed everything I heard on the TV I'd never leave the UK and come to the USA for fear of being shot. Luckily I know in reality it's a great place to visit and I'm looking forward to my trip to Las Vegas, Hawaii and LA in 2 weeks immensely (not a cruise).

I don't want to offend anyone, but some of you need to take a look in the mirror. If you want to see the world, you have to take the world as it comes. I found Eygpt to be pretty intimidating in places last year, but as per the good advice that can be found on the thread I was just firm, polite and got on with things. You miss out on so much the world has to offer if you are scared of things being different to that you are used to.

Well stated and I agree completely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously? Even when I'm not on vacation, I have to be observant of ALL things around me....not just when I'm in a "bad" area. It's called being aware. No place is 100% safe. If that's what you're looking for then don't leave the comfort of home. Just sayin'.

Wow, this thread turned ugly fast. :(

Boy...you are not kidding! Real ugly...and sad...

Welcome to the world of cruising. A wonderful way to travel, and one that has helped me meet a ton of incredible and fun people. But it also seems to attract a fair share of people who want the white-washed-american-mall version of world travel, and almost anytime Jamaica is discussed you get these people who come on spreading fear and ignorance.

As well as it should. Everyone assumed the worst without waiting to know the outcome,and took an easy opportunity to bash the island. Like another poster said,there is good and evil in all places and while the 'pushy-ness" of the vendors and the peddling of weed are disconcerting,it doesn't make it any less safer than alot of the inner-city areas right here in the USA. Btw,didn't cruise passenger got shot in St Thomas not so long ago?

Seriously? Even when I'm not on vacation, I have to be observant of ALL things around me....not just when I'm in a "bad" area. It's called being aware. No place is 100% safe. If that's what you're looking for then don't leave the comfort of home. Just sayin'.

You know what I mean. Way to embellish.

As well as it should. Everyone assumed the worst without waiting to know the outcome,and took an easy opportunity to bash the island. Like another poster said,there is good and evil in all places and while the 'pushy-ness" of the vendors and the peddling of weed are disconcerting,it doesn't make it any less safer than alot of the inner-city areas right here in the USA. Btw,didn't cruise passenger got shot in St Thomas not so long ago?

I don't vacation in the inner cities of america.

Wow - feed the "sky is falling" theory.

I would sleep in the middle of the road in Ocho before going near mexico any time soon-- the worst thing would happen is somebody would try to force me to buy a bracelet or some pot muffins.

Thou shall not base an entire country on the 1 mile radius of a cruiseport in one of the poorest yet beautiful islands.

Anyone else on my side here? :confused::confused::confused:

I find it amazing that in trying to defend Jamaca as safe you malign the entire country of Mexico. You are willing to ignore numerous reports of crime, unpleasant vendors, drug dealers and reports that people have been assaulted, unwanted touching is molestation is assault, in a 1 mile radius of the port but in the case of Mexico, you base an entire country on events occurring 500 to 1000 miles from the port.

I have traveled through Mexico annually of over 20 years and I have never been subjected to the indignities reported by travelers to Jamaica, indignities you ignore. I hope you can sleep well knowing the numerous Mexican families who are struggling because of your untruthfull innuendos regarding safety in Mexican tourist areas.

Please name an island and someone has offered me drugs or woman! St Bart's, San Juan, Antiqua, Nassau,Jamaica,carasou (sp?also has the worlds biggest legal brothel) Antiqua, koh phi phi, st martins has a whole block for legalhookers and drugs I could continue.

All you have to do is say no thanks! I do but sometimes have to say it twice. Can't begrudge a salesman in poverty with a family to feed.

I'm glad I cruise to Mexico. I have never been offered drugs by anyone. When my parents cruised the Caribbean in the late '80's, they were offered drugs. They weren't happy about that.

BTW - Most of the drug violence in Mexico is at the border. Except for the isolated incident in PV where a tour was robbed by 1 person, tourists aren't targeted.

It's amazing how cruise lines will pull out of Mexico because there is drug cartel violence at the border or in areas where most cruisers won't even travel to, but will keep going to some Caribbean islands where people are constantly being harassed to buy drugs on the street or targeted by thieves and a lot of CC'ers keep saying they don't get off the ship at some ports because they are afraid.:rolleyes:

STUPID.

I AM FROM THE SOUTH SIDE OF CHICAGO SO IS THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO.

YES the tour buses do visit the south side .Ever heard of the CHICAGO WHITE SOX from the SOUTH SIDE

The museum of SCIENCE OF INDUSTRY. THE ORIENTAL INSTITUTE

FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

so we do know many of the posts we have read are DISCRIMINATION.

DO YOU FOLKS GO OUT WHEN IT IS DARK.

Dude, chill out. It was an example as there are parts of the S side that are crap. I got lost. I've seen them. Okay how about Watts or Compton? I would have gone with N Minneapolis but figured not many people would have even known there was a N Mpls. Yeah, I go out at night, but I don't go there.

The point is, that people have their own experiences. Telling people who have been to Jamaica more than once and didn't like it that they are sheltered and clueless is just as bad as if I said that every single person should go to Jamaica and hate it. Which, I did not. I stated MY experiences and why WE don't like it.

THIS is what matters - not what people think of certain islands/countries/cultures. If you are "afraid" of a certain island - don't take a cruise that goes there. Unfortunately, you will probably be missing out on a beautiful place, with many great people who are proud of where they live. There is riff-raff everywhere. Don't let a few bad apples spoil a potentially great experience for you.

Yup!!! I've lived long enough to know that once people start thinking a particular way about another culture, place, or group of people, there is no changing their mind so it's pointless to even try. Like someone said, there are some who could now argue that no one should visit Aurora, CO.

Live and let live. People are going to think what they want - but for every cruise passenger that stays on the ship when my Conquest docks in MoBay in September - that's more culture, scenery, Doctor's Cave, and PORK PIT for ME:D

I went to Ocho Rios a few years ago and have only positive things to say about the port. We booked the Cool Runnings Sail & Dunn's River Falls excursion through Carnival and it was awesome. It was actually the most memorable excursion I've ever done in all of my 5 prior cruises. We got off the ship, followed the sign for our excursion, got on the catamaran, enjoyed a 30 minute boat ride along the picturesque coastline, climbed the falls, laid on the beach, and had a party boat back to the ship with Red Stripes and Rum Punch (careful with these :)). I was in my early 20s with my girlfriend so we were approached a couple times and asked if "we liked to party". Also shopping we were asked if we wanted some weed. Both times I politely but firmly said, "No thanks, that's not our thing." We were left alone almost immediately.

I think anyplace has potential dangers. Both in the Caribbean and on the home front. I live near Baltimore and I've been more nervous walking downtown in my own city than in any port of call. I just try and be smart, be familiar with my surroundings, don't stray from the group, and more than likely you'll have a wonderful experience.

Archived