3 Cruise passengers missing in Ocho Rios?

kcparrothead

Name another place you would do this:

maintain careful watchfulness, avoid secluded places or situations, go out in groups and watch out for each other. Don’t be afraid to ask or call out for help if you feel threatened or encounter individuals who make you feel uncomfortable.

Report any suspicious activity to local police and, if appropriate, to the hotel’s management.

As a general rule, do not leave valuables unattended or in plain view, including in hotel rooms and on the beach. Take care when carrying high value items such as cameras and expensive cell phones or when wearing expensive jewelry on the street.

Women's handbags should be zipped and held close to the body. Men should carry wallets in their front pants pocket. Large amounts of cash should always be handled discreetly. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Those sound like the instructions my parents were given when they traveled through several countries in Europe. It also sounds like common sense tips for most large cities in the US (i.e. Cincinnati, (lived in the burbs and worked in downtown), Baltimore (lived there), Tampa (live there now), New Orleans, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Chicago (been to all those too several times among others), shall I go on?).

Name another place you would do this:

maintain careful watchfulness, avoid secluded places or situations, go out in groups and watch out for each other. Don’t be afraid to ask or call out for help if you feel threatened or encounter individuals who make you feel uncomfortable.

Report any suspicious activity to local police and, if appropriate, to the hotel’s management.

As a general rule, do not leave valuables unattended or in plain view, including in hotel rooms and on the beach. Take care when carrying high value items such as cameras and expensive cell phones or when wearing expensive jewelry on the street.

Women's handbags should be zipped and held close to the body. Men should carry wallets in their front pants pocket. Large amounts of cash should always be handled discreetly. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Planet Earth?

I fail to see what this has to do with the Jones Act. Maybe they violated some Homeland Security or cruise line rule

Other posters who have been put off forcibly or voluntarily have reported having to pay a Jones Act fine. Foreign flagged ships are not allowed to transport passengers from the US to either US or foreign ports. It is protectionist legislation aimed at protecting the US shipping industry.

I am. It bothered me to hear all of the negative stuff being said about Jamaica. What is bad to you (generally speaking) may not be bad to me. To each his own.

I laughed a little on the inside after reading they took all their belongings OFF the ship and reading practically 3 pgs of "stay on the ship" comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree! Wife and I just spent a week in Negril, we also visited Montego Bay... NO issues, no problems mon'! People super friendly, would go back in a heartbeat!

Gee I wonder how the ignorant people were even able to read the government warnings about Jamaica :rolleyes: And why their first thoughts could be that something bad had happened?

CRIME: Crime, including violent crime, is a serious problem in Jamaica, particularly in Kingston and Montego Bay. While the vast majority of crimes occur in impoverished areas, random acts of violence, such as gunfire, may occur anywhere. The primary criminal concern for tourists is becoming a victim of theft. In several cases, armed robberies of U.S. citizens have turned violent when the victims resisted handing over valuables. Crime is exacerbated by the fact that police are understaffed and often ineffective. Additionally, there have been frequent allegations of police corruption. Tourists should take all necessary precautions, always pay extra attention to their surroundings when traveling, and keep windows up and doors locked while in a vehicle. Travelers should avoid walking alone, exercise special care after dark, and always avoid areas known for high crime rates.

Each year the Embassy receives several reports of sexual assaults against U.S. citizens, including cases of alleged sexual assaults at tourist resorts, some of which involve resort staff. It is important to realize that sexual assault allegations generally do not receive the same type of law enforcement attention in Jamaica that they would in the United States. Local law also requires the presence of the victim at each stage of the judicial process in order for a case to move forward.

U.S. citizens traveling in Jamaica should maintain careful watchfulness, avoid secluded places or situations, go out in groups and watch out for each other. Don’t be afraid to ask or call out for help if you feel threatened or encounter individuals who make you feel uncomfortable. Report any suspicious activity to the U.S. Embassy, local police and, if appropriate, to the hotel’s management. As a general rule, do not leave valuables unattended or in plain view, including in hotel rooms and on the beach. Take care when carrying high value items such as cameras and expensive cell phones or when wearing expensive jewelry on the street. Women's handbags should be zipped and held close to the body. Men should carry wallets in their front pants pocket. Large amounts of cash should always be handled discreetly.

The U.S. Embassy advises its staff to avoid inner-city areas of Kingston and other urban centers, such as those listed in the section on Safety and Security, whenever possible. Particular caution is advised after dark and in downtown Kingston and New Kingston. The U.S. Embassy also cautions U.S. citizens not to use public buses, which are often overcrowded and are a frequent venue for crime.

To enhance security in the principal resort areas, the Government of Jamaica has taken a number of steps, including assignment of special police foot and bicycle patrols. In 2010 and 2011 a number of U.S. families reported being robbed inside their resort hotel rooms while they slept. Particular care is called for when staying at isolated villas and smaller establishments that may have fewer security arrangements. Some street vendors, beggars, and taxi drivers in tourist areas aggressively confront and harass tourists to buy their wares or employ their services. If a firm "No, thank you," does not solve the problem, visitors may wish to seek the assistance of a tourist police officer.

Illegal drug use is prevalent in some tourist areas, leading to numerous U.S. citizen arrests and incarcerations in Jamaica every year. Possession or use of marijuana or other illicit drugs is illegal in Jamaica. U.S. citizens should avoid buying, selling, holding, or taking illegal drugs under any circumstances. There is anecdotal evidence that the use of so-called date rape drugs, such as Rohypnol, has become more common at clubs and private parties. Marijuana, cocaine, heroin and other illegal narcotics are especially potent in Jamaica, and their use may lead to severe or even disastrous health consequences.

In addition to a number of lottery and investment scams, relatives of U.S. citizens visiting Jamaica and U.S. citizens who are prisoners in Jamaica have received telephone calls from people claiming to be Jamaican police officers, other public officials, or medical professionals. The callers usually state that the visitor or prisoner has had trouble and needs financial help. In almost every case these claims are untrue. The caller insists that money should be sent by wire transfer to either themselves or a third party who will assist the visitor or prisoner, but when money is sent, it fails to reach the U.S. citizens in alleged need. U.S. citizens who receive calls such as these should never send money. The U.S. Embassy has also received reports of extortion attempts originating in Jamaica where the caller threatens the victim if they do not send a sum of money. Another financial scam reported is the ‘ Damsel in Distress ’ where a partner met over the Internet falls into a series of unfortunate events and requests money with the promise of rewards at a later date (such as an in-person meeting). Contact the American Citizen Services Unit of the Embassy's Consular Section at KingstonACS@state.gov and provide as much detail as possible regarding the nature of the communication.

Don’t buy counterfeit and pirated goods, even if they are widely available. Not only are the bootlegs illegal in the United States, if you purchase them you may also be breaking local law.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1147.html#safety

Quit burying your head in the beautiful beach sand and be aware that there are excellent reasons some "ignorant" people will avoid Jamaica.

As Goldwolf says

Just like L.A., Detroit, DC, etc.!! ;)

• 5 weeks later...
Well said . As someone from the caribbean ( Third World ) who has spend a lifetime in the( First World ) and who deals with a lot with visitors comments such as uncivilized are uncalled for.

Sure some speak from experiences but there are issues where ever we go . We have not created the perfect world yet.

Jamiaca is one of the most beatuiful island in the region but has a serious crime issues some of which follows the pattern and learnt from the so called civilized.

FLOSS-

Did you ever try to PM me, to get my email address??

Are you surviving the hurricane season in Christ Church?

ET:)

Archived