Dress code

mom2tjanddj

I understand people not wanting to over-dress as, to imply, they are not "upper class wannabe's".

But, I was raised knowing what to wear when going to a restaurant VS. a fast food joint.

Cruising gives the everyday person, (including me), a chance to enjoy "a bit of class", so why not enjoy it.

Just my opinion, of course!;)

I can't believe how much discussion there is about dress code in the MDR! Vacation means different things to different people. Some love to dress up to their nines because they dont get the chance to dine out at fancy restaurants very often.

My family cruises to relax and spend time together as a FAMILY. My kids always eat dinner with us. We go out to fancy restaurants very often. We dress more fashionably and well, modern. My boys always wear nice jeans and hip stylish button down tops to dinner out.

Some peoples idea of "formal" is in my opinion outdated. We all have our ideas of fashion so i never knock anyone down for what they are wearing.

I'd prefer to see a man dressed in a nice pair of jeans, and sports jacket than a tux in a MDR on a cruise ship. Tuxes aren't even a staple at weddings anymore so why on a carnival cruise?

Only my opinion and on our next cruise in just 8 short days my family may not to wearing tuxes, or full suits and gowns BUT we will be dressed to the nines!

For the most part everyone dresses fine and per the dress code. When men wear shorts it will be the dressy type with a nice shirt. You will see the occasional along who will try to get in wearing cut offs sleeveless shirts etc. They will sometimes not be allowed in while other times will get by. They are the rare occassion however although some here will try to convince you that everyone or many dress like slobs. Don't believe them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

You are very much correct.

Say you have 2000 cruises and 5 wear cut offs sleeveless shirts or something like that in the MDR.

According to the hard core CC Fashion Police types their cruise is ruined.

I'm surprised they don't demand a full refund.

And for years afterwards we will read on the CC boards about their cruise with the guy in the cut offs sleeveless shirts in the MDR.

THIS IS EXACTLY CORRECT. Really no reason to debate the issue any further.:(

A lot of us chose Carnival because of the the casual dress.

May I recommend Celebrity. They have a whole bunch of dress codes.

I think people who cruise for nothing but dress codes will fit right in.

And on 15 Carnival cruises 2005-2012 I've never seen it.

So my answer is no.

I guess we've never sailed together, then, and I've been on 25. We've even had waiters express their displeasure at the way people dress on cruise elegant nights. I'm not saying it's tons of people, but it's way more than I would expect. I also agree that the rules are occasionally enforced, but most of the times they're not.

I guess we've never sailed together, then, and I've been on 25. We've even had waiters express their displeasure at the way people dress on cruise elegant nights. I'm not saying it's tons of people, but it's way more than I would expect. I also agree that the rules are occasionally enforced, but most of the times they're not.

I choose Carnival BECAUSE of the more casual dress.

I like things just as they are now.

If you really need dress codes to have a good time on vacation there are a number of fine cruise lines to choose from.

BTW I rarely eat in the MDR and when I do I dress as suggested.

Bottom line, if you need hard core dress codes to vacation don't choose Carnival.

Problem solved.:D

I choose Carnival BECAUSE of the more casual dress.

I like things just as they are now.

If you really need dress codes to have a good time on vacation there are a number of fine cruise lines to choose from.

BTW I rarely eat in the MDR and when I do I dress as suggested.

Bottom line, if you need hard core dress codes to vacation don't choose Carnival.

Problem solved.:D

I don't need a "hard core dress code." I just want them to enforce the one they say they have; if they're not going to do that, then they shouldn't have them. I never said I needed a dress code to have a good time; I'm just stating the facts. I wear what I want - which is to dress every night since we never get an opportunity to do that where we live.

I don't need a "hard core dress code." I just want them to enforce the one they say they have; if they're not going to do that, then they shouldn't have them. I never said I needed a dress code to have a good time; I'm just stating the facts. I wear what I want - which is to dress every night since we never get an opportunity to do that where we live.

Then I vote for no code.

Some people work in a suit and tie every day.

Why would they want to dress the same way on vacation?

BTW for all you new cruises.

This topic only comes up on CC, never on board. Most cruises are to busy having fun to care how you dress.

• 1 month later...

This will be my first cruise and from what I have read hear on CC my wardrobe is the thing I'm most uncertain about! I know what is nice & what I'm comfortable wearing yet the people on this board have me second guessing everything in my wardrobe! I think I'm done sweating the dress code issue and I'm taking what I like to wear and I'm going to enjoy my cruise and not care what other people are wearing or what other people think about what I'm wearing. After all I will be on a cruise!!!!

Last week on the Splendor, there were lots of T-shirts in the MDR on non-formal nights, and some shorts I would not call dress shorts. (I should note that it was about 400 degrees in Cabo and Puerto Vallarta.)

But for those who say there is no enforcement, I did see a couple turned away on "elegant night" because he was in shorts and a T-shirt. He looked plenty miffed too. I told the hostess, "Way to go." Got to have some standards.

Jim

They do- and I was appalled at the lack of adherence to the dress code in the MDR on our cruise. The couple that was seated at our table- the man wore a daffy tuck tee shirt and jean shorts one night...each night he wore something just a sloppy- meanwhile Dh an I are in a dress and khaki's/polo every night. I wish people would take a little more pride in what they are wearing to the MDR...it's meant to be a little nicer and IMO if you want to wear something that casual, you should stick with the buffet on the Lido deck!

Yes, and there are people who will claim it ruins their cruise, causes explosive diarhea, and kills puppies if someone does wear shorts.

LOL! My BF likes to wear shorts to dinner on casual nights. He will either wear a Hawaiian shirt or sometimes a t-shirt. I generally wear capris or a sundress. I have never understood how someone else's clothing can ruin your cruise.

We'll be sailing on Dream in October. 3 couples in our late 40's, early 50's. We're planning on this being our laid back, casual cruise. The guys have to suit up for work most days of the week, and we were hoping to pack lighter this time. Following Carnival's dress code, they all plan on wearing shorts (no basketball or cut offs) with a polo or a Hawaiian shirt on casual nights. As far as formal nights go, who decides what are dress slacks? I know some people might consider navy Dockers as "dress." Do you think they'll be turned away with Dockers and a button down sport shirt, no tie or jacket? (it says jacket and tie as a suggestion)

Seriously, we're not rule breakers here, but for this cruise we really want to avoid more than 1 checked bag per person. Everyone will be clean, well groomed and pressed.

I would say "Wear what you want", but please try to adhere to Carnival's guide lines. One thing I would hate to see at my table is a man in a "Wife Beater", whether muscular or not, with his pit hair hanging out. Especially when he reaches across the table for the butter. Dockers are fine..... I also dressed in suit and ties everyday for work but never minded putting one one for elegant night. Just the way I was brought up and it has stuck......

After our last cruise I would like to buy stock in the cloth that makes ladies formal wear. After watching the parade go by of dresses three sizes too small I fully expected to have to call medical when the buttons and snaps started to pop.But alas I never saw the first dress split or explode . This material now has to be made of kevlar . So go ahead and dress formally if you dare but please try to get a dress close to your size . Say no to wife beater tee shirts and too small cocktail dresses .Oh by the way spandex is never in size for you full figured girls or guys:eek:. Good Day !

I wore khaki shorts and t-shirts every night except formal. The t-shirts were plain and didn't have bars or sayings on them. I saw many others also do the same. I didn't goto formal but watched as people went in a one guy looked like he was wearing his swim shorts in, unsure if he got in. I do respect if I don't have proper clothes for formal night I don't go.

I've always loved reading the dress code threads, lots of fun. Thankful to see that I don't have to wear slacks to dinner on casual nights anymore! I remember years ago when the mere sight of jeans in the MDR on any night would cause a stir. I'll be taking advantage and wearing shorts to dinner a few nights for sure.

I will wear a Tux on Formal night, have the thing, might as well wear it. Crazy thing is the jeans and shirts I wear the rest of the week all cost way more than the Tux.

Archived