Ensenada, Mexico?

bobpell

Ensenada is a stop on the Hawaii cruise to satisfy the requirements of the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

That Act provides that a non-US registered ship, that tranports passengers from one US port to another, then back to the original port, must stop at a foreign port. A "near" foreign port is sufficient.

Ensenada is a "near" foreign port.

Ensenada is a stop on the Hawaii cruise to satisfy the requirements of the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

That Act provides that a non-US registered ship, that tranports passengers from one US port to another, then back to the original port, must stop at a foreign port. A "near" foreign port is sufficient.

Same reason the ships out of Seattle stop in Victoria on their Alaska runs.

We went there on a 5 day Radiance of the Seas cruise a couple of years ago....I'm still trying to figure out why. lol

It was Cabo and Ensenada and honestly 2 days in Cabo would have been a LOT better.

We travel to Mexico quite frequently, mostly in the Yucatan...in fact we hope to own vacation property there very soon. Having said that I'm not a fan of the West coast of Mexico.

For the first time ever we felt a little uneasy in Mexico while we were in Ensenada. We signed up for a tour through the ship to a place in Rosarita (sp?) and the ride there was quite an adventure.

We went through 2 armed guard check points where the guards came on the bus machine guns in hand and made us all feel very uneasy.

The tour guide kept assuring us that the bus driver "knew the soldiers" and we'd be okay as long as nobody said anything or made any sudden moves.

At this point I thought to myself, what the hell have I gotten myself into?

The ride to the place we were going to was through the mountains on very narrow windy roads and the bus driver was speeding. All I could think was, we'll never get to see our kids again.

So my advice to you, if you need to get off the ship...stay around that area and don't venture off.

We love Mexico, but I would never get off the ship if we were to visit this area again. Cabo wasn't all that great either.

I'll take Playa del Carmen over the Western part of Mexico any day of the week.

Good lord, what could the possibly show you other than bars and brothels.

No way Would I get off the ship in this very very dangerous region:eek:

Before you generalize an area look it up! Ensenada is a very safe city & surrounding area! There is Huge seafood trade in Ensenada & great FRESH seafood! Also Mexico's largest wine growing area surrounds the city! AMAZING wineries there! I have been there 4 times & going again! I have NEVER felt my life was at risk! Also houssongs created the 1st margarita FYI! Mexico has lots of problems BUT DOESN'T need to be BASHED at every turn!

If any Holland ship/any ship arrives in the Daytime, Definitely check out a winery tour! You will amazed how the area looks, like a Mexican Napa Valley

Also I Never once saw a brothel in Ensenada! Thats Tijuana where all the crime & brothels are! Tijuana is a bordertown!

Before you generalize an area look it up! Ensenada is a very safe city & surrounding area! There is Huge seafood trade in Ensenada & great FRESH seafood! Also Mexico's largest wine growing area surrounds the city! AMAZING wineries there! I have been there 4 times & going again! I have NEVER felt my life was at risk! Also houssongs created the 1st margarita FYI! Mexico has lots of problems BUT DOESN'T need to be BASHED at every turn!

If any Holland ship arrives in the Daytime, Definably check out a winery tour! You will amazed how the area looks, like a Mexican Napa Valley

Wow thanks and I though I was the only one that liked Ensenada!

Wow thanks and I though I was the only one that liked Ensenada!

:):):) I like Ensenada as well! OMG the seafood market is AMAZING & SAFE! Wherever you find a lil place to eat order the "FISH TACOS" they were also created there for the 1st time before it was a big hit here on the west coast!

I felt much more UNSAFE in NASSAU, but nobody talks about the crime & drugs ln the Bahamas as an example, sorry to rant, a lil fired up!:o:o:o

On our Hawaiian cruise we arrived there later than what we were suppose to. Some tours were completely cancelled.

Most people didn't even bother to get off the ship.

There were no tours offered when we did that stop a few years back. We came in about 11 pm stayed for about an hour and half and then we were on our way to San Pedro.

I wonder why RCCL didn't offer tours to the wineries? I didn't even know they existed.

The Rosarita tour was not worth doing and sorry, but I did not feel safe going there or once we got there.

I've been to Mexico at least 50 times, been going there since our honeymoon in Acapulco in 1988. Last year alone we vacationed in Playa del Carmen for 4 weeks total, once in April once in October.

Nobody is more supportive of the Mexican people and their country than I am, but I'm not lying or trying to flame the discussion when I said I didn't feel safe in Ensenada.

We did go to a cute restaurant in Rosarita where the woman was making fresh flour tortillas in a huge fired oven and the food was good there but sadly they didn't have fish tacos on the menu...just shrimp tacos.

Here's some photos from our bus ride to Rosarita..as you can see the water is beautiful there and the views from the bus ride were very pretty. I also attached a photo of the restaurant where we ate, in case anyone is interested, it's very good.

I want to clarify that we did NOT have any problems at all while we were in Ensenada...the checkpoints were just nerve wracking...I'd never experienced that before in any other area of Mexico that we'd been to. Sign of the times in that area I suppose.

279946812_statueensenada.jpg.9f6a23a321a60a366b13922951c21ded.jpg

2024296165_busrideensenada.jpg.c2ebf658c1b96841f5ca1f42a3343a4e.jpg

1042936960_ensenadarestaurant.jpg.bbef1b3bfee407f50f7ab06898b67324.jpg

ensenada.jpg.20f29ee707d85dc8876414e6641649fa.jpg

The winery tours out of Ensenada are quite good but there is nothing else there to do IMO. I really don't want to stop there again.

Really? and miss the Fabulous La Bufadora??? :eek: :D :rolleyes: ;)

Bufadora12-11-2004%20Copy.jpg

• 2 months later...

What is the difference between that and the Jonesville Act?

What is the difference between that and the Jonesville Act?
The PVSA of 1886 deals with passengers, while the Jones Act (Merchant Marine Act of 1920) sets regulations for goods/cargo transport. Some consider the Jones Act an extension of the PVSA, because both are meant to shield the US maritime industry from foreign competition. The Jones Act has nothing to do with cruising. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Marine_Act_of_1920

I liked it

7678847466_45775015a3_c.jpg

7678848876_b133b3c135_c.jpg

We like it alot too. We also like the beach. Great shells. Lots of familes and soccer teams praticing. We did horseback riding there once, quads there once, horse drawn carriages, and Hotel Corona has great spa facilites, great and modest priced massages, and amazing seafood.

Ensanada is great, you just have to know where to go and what to do.

Also a very lovely Starbucks with indoor/outdoor fireplaces and lots of sofas and free wi-fi for those who need it.

Good lord, what could the possibly show you other than bars and brothels.

No way Would I get off the ship in this very very dangerous region:eek:

My ship has been sailing the San Diego - Hawaii - Ensenada - San Diego itinerary for many years.

We have experienced countless muggings, robberies, attempted rapes, physical assaults, attempted murder, thefts, and other mayhem in Hawaii and San Diego.

But we have never had a single case of crime against crew or passengers in all these yesrs calling at Ensenada.

Maybe our many thousands of crew and passengers were just lucky in Mexico - and not so lucky in Hawaii and San Diego.

Archived